Duende ohms, Line Out?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GaryB, Mar 13, 2008.

1. GaryB

GaryB Member

Brought home a new Duende combo this week. Lots of great sounds available from this amp. I’d like to hear how it sounds through a friends 2X12 cab. I have some questions:
    My Duende has a Celestion G12H30 speaker, 8 ohms
    The Duende also has a Line Out jack that is not marked
    If I plug the external cab into the Line Out, would that be 8 ohms also?
    Does the internal speaker still play when you plug into the Line Out?
    If I don’t want the internal speaker to play, can I plug the cab into the internal speaker jack?
    Does the external cab need to be 8 ohms? Could an ohms mismatch damage the amp or cab?
    Thanks for the help!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GaryB

GaryB Member

3. DavidH

DavidH Member

The line out is probably a direct out,for recording,or to a power amp etc and not another speaker out.Looks like it just has the one speaker output from here.There's an online manual for the Duende on the Bogner website BTW.

4. DavidH

DavidH Member

How do you like the amp anyway? I'm considering going to demo one of these.

5. matte

matte Senior Member

8 ohm out from the speaker jack. incredible amp, btw.

6. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

This will NOT work. The line out is for sending a signal to the Mixing Desk.

Yes most likely the internal speaker will still play.

This is what you should do to use the cab. Unplug the internal speaker, and plug the cab in the spot where the internal speaker plugs in.

Yes the external cab should be 8 ohms. Some people run a impedence mismatch of one value in either direction. For example, you could run a 4ohm or 16 ohm cab from a 8ohm output. But to be safe, I would consult the manufacturer.

7. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Nice amp btw. I saw a guy at a local blues jam with one. I LOVE the tremolo on those amps.

dk

8. GaryB

GaryB Member

I'm really enjoying the Duende. Also considered some Bad Cat and Dr. Z models. Ended up with the Bogner. No regrets. Thanks for the help.

9. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I also forgot to add, most cabs have two inputs in parallel. So if the cord from the internal speaker is long enough, you could run both the cab and the internal speaker at the same time. This will change the load on the amp though, so make sure you are safe to run a load mismatch (consult Bogner on this one to be sure).

I think Weber sells a Y adapter for speakers as well. So you could run both the internal speaker and the cab. But keep in mind the load will be different. 8ohm cab + 8ohm internal speaker = 4ohm at the amp. So this isn't an ideal situation either! But most amps will work with a mismatch, as long as its not severe. Its just not how the amp was supposed to run, and this would worry me down the line. Best to stick with the impedance suggested.

Good luck.

dk