Duesenberg Mike Cambell Model Or James Tyler Classic

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jackroylee, Feb 27, 2012.

1. jackroylee

jackroylee Member

If you just only can buy one guitar,which one you will choose,and why?

2. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

If the Classic has a humbucker in the bridge, then I'm going for that one...

3. saf_1

saf_1 Member

Wow - two very differnet instruments. If it's the Tyler Studio Classic w/a humbucker in the bridge (as the above poster stated), I'm probably going to opt for the Tyler. I actually think the Tyler is going to be the more versatile instrument, and although I have owned a number of hollow/semi-hollow bodied instruments, I lean toward a solid body for my main guitar. Plus, I'm not really enamoured of the blue metallic w/racing stripe look of the Campbell. However Tyler offers some of the coolest finishes of any builder I know. His "schmear" finishes are totally unique. Or you could opt for the "Burning Water", which is probably an acquired taste, but something I personally dig - a lot!

4. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

Classic all the way- been
    My main axe for six years. Mini JB in the bridge

5. pcauchi

pcauchi Member

Duesenberg is a fantastic instrument. Nice blend of features from the Gibson/Gretsch/Fender camp. However, the Tyler is definitely more versatile; much better fit for a 'main' axe. Tyler all the way. Though you won't be disappointed either way; both are world class, professional instruments. Own both and your covered in almost all situations.

6. jackroylee

jackroylee Member

Wow!!! Most of you vote on the James Tyler!! What is the difference between the Classic and the Studio Elite HD?

7. jackroylee

jackroylee Member

But James Tyler is way more expensive than the Duesenberg, so I wonder if it worth the price

8. choucas09

choucas09 Member

If you get the Tyler I'd suggest putting a sock over the headstock to avoid upsetting people.

9. DrBob

DrBob Member

There are folks around here that are far more conversant with their Tyler specs than me so can give you exact detail but as far as I know the Classic has more in common with a Strat in terms of body, scratchplate & pickup routing shape whereas the SEHD has a slightly evolved perimeter shape & scratchplate shape.
    I also think that as standard the SE comes with the bigger Tyler headstock shape whilst the Classic features the smaller one.
    The HD also features a switchable midboost.