Duesenberg Pickups - Grand Vintage Humbucker vs D-Tron Humbucker

SpinachBoy

Just want to gauge what's people's preference in regards to the two humbucker pickups for Duesenberg guitars. I want to know what are the differences and which one suits which style best?

Da Geezer

Just from the names (knowing absolutely nothing about Duesenburg guitars) I would suspect the GV is a PAF-type, and the D-tron is a Gretschy/TV Jones thing.

I think you can get some pretty good ideas for uses from those two well known pickup types.

Hopefully someone with real experience will chime in shortly :D

Good luck

G

Dr Slapstick

Just from the names (knowing absolutely nothing about Duesenburg guitars) I would suspect the GV is a PAF-type, and the D-tron is a Gretschy/TV Jones thing.

I think you can get some pretty good ideas for uses from those two well known pickup types.

Hopefully someone with real experience will chime in shortly :D

Good luck

G
That's exactly the case - they also make a "little toaster" pickup that's very much like a filtertron type pickup :)

I've not played the D-Tron but I have the Grand Vintage in my Starplayer. Yes, it's their PAF style but because of the build of the guitar, it doesn't feel like a Les Paul. There's a lot of clarity and chime. If you were to put those pickups in a solid body Gibson-esque guitar, it may sound more like the PAF its modelled after.

It just doesn't feel like a PAF in the Starplayer.

ProfRhino

That's exactly the case - they also make a "little toaster" pickup that's very much like a filtertron type pickup :)
I have a Little Toaster neck paired with a Supertron bridge.
The Toaster is a bit brighter than e.g. a TV Classic, I like it better and might consider replacing the Supertron too in the future.
ymmv,
Rhino

SpinachBoy

Also, the reason I'm asking this question, because I'm deciding which Duesenberg guitar to get. I already have a Gibson LP (which has two humbucker pickups that can be splitted into single coil), and I want to try out something different.

I came across Duesenberg guitars few months ago, and really like the Starplayer TV model. The guitar is much solidly built than my LP and right now I have my eyes on either a TV Custom (3x D-Tron) or a standard TV (GV + P90).

I mainly playing for worship music, and learning Blues atm (still a noob). I use Fender Blues Jr III as my practice / main amp. (I do plan to get a small Vox AC15C1 in near future to go stereo).

Dr Slapstick

Is that the "Crunchbucker" that you're refering to?
No, that's a different one. I've never tried the crunchbucker.

For what it's worth, I have a Starplayer TV with the standard pickups in it and use it in situations I would have used a Gretsch before - it's chimey enough to get there. It's a great complement to a darker sounding humbucker based guitar (I use a PRS, but a Les Paul is right up that alley).

You'll definitely get a lot of different tones out of it just because of the hollow body and the trem. Don't pay over $2k for it though - I got mine brand new from Germany with case for $1,800 (depends on the exchange rate).

SpinachBoy

No, that's a different one. I've never tried the crunchbucker.

For what it's worth, I have a Starplayer TV with the standard pickups in it and use it in situations I would have used a Gretsch before - it's chimey enough to get there. It's a great complement to a darker sounding humbucker based guitar (I use a PRS, but a Les Paul is right up that alley).

You'll definitely get a lot of different tones out of it just because of the hollow body and the trem. Don't pay over $2k for it though - I got mine brand new from Germany with case for $1,800 (depends on the exchange rate).
Cheers. I'm from Australia, and the guitars here ain't cheap either, especially the American made ones... I plan to import it from Germany as well. I initially wanted to get a Gretsch, since I wanted to have different a 2nd guitar to compliment my LP, at least something semi-hollowed with trem. But the TV came up and I've tried a few, and quite like the sound/build quality. I'm still leaning towards the D-Tron pickups now that I know its similar to Gretsch's tone (well at least in theory/design...).

Trending Topics