Duesenberg Special v 49er

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sammy, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Sammy

Sammy Member

Whats the feel & sound difference between the Starplayer Special & the Starplayer 49er, apart from the latter has a fixed neck rather than the specials bolt on and the the 49er also has a P90 in the neck position.

2. Sammy

Sammy Member

Does no one use Duesenberg guitars in the USA!!:drink

3. NeoConMan

NeoConMan Senior Member

Nobody I know.
    I'm very interested in them, but I've yet to put my hands on one in Arizona.
    I travel alot, but still haven't found one.

Mike Campbell (Tom Petty) plays them, that's the only real endorsement that caught my eye.

Which models have set necks?

4. Sammy

Sammy Member

I think most of them except the Starplayer Special.

5. B Vance

B Vance Member

Prince plays a Double Cat on occasion and I know that Marc Ford has one, not sure what model it is though.

6. Sammy

Sammy Member

So does Joe Walsh now, he played two different models at the O2 in London this year.

But back to my original question whats the difference in sound between the Special & 49er :confused:

7. Sammy

Sammy Member

Last time anyone can tell me the difference in the two!:(

8. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

The Starplayer is semi-hollow, the 49'er is solid. The Starplayer special is soild with an alder body/maple cap. The 49'er is mahogany/maple. The Special is stop tail, the 49er is string through body. The Special is two hums, the 49er is hum/P90. 49er has a bound neck.

I can't speak to the response differences between them, since I haven't played the Starplayer (nor Special) much. I did play one (not Special) briefly in the store but it did not steer me away from the 49er that caught my eye first.

I own a 49'er. The humbucker is pretty ballsy and edgy, but not overly harsh. The P90 is very (almost too) thick. The middle position is very nice and jangly and can almost hit Strat like tones.

It sets up in a different place eq-wise compared to my other guitars, but with some dialing the tones are tremendous. Not that they were bad at my typical settings but this guitar really wanted to be dialed in.

The action is fantatstic.

Here it is:

[​IMG]

Here's a bunch of Duesenbergs in a shop in Japan (I bought mine in Dresden, Germany)

[​IMG]

9. Sammy

Sammy Member

Thanks Scott how heavy is the 49er!

Anyone played the Starplayer Special!

10. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

Sammy,

I haven't weighed it so I'm not sure. Qualitatively, it feels a little heavier than it should be for the width of the body.

Typical (not overly heavy) LP weight I'd say.

11. Sammy

Sammy Member

Someone must have or at least played the Dusey Special!

12. mep

mep Supporting Member

13. oscar100

oscar100 Member

not popular in uk

14. Ares

Ares Member

I have played one special that I liked a lot.It sounded non-compressed,"open",and snappy for a guitar of that type(actually the bolt on construction makes it quity different from a lp-style guitar,but nevertheless it's got a rich-full tone).It had nice fretwork and wouldnt buzz even if it was mistreated by my hammering right hand.I didnt buy it cause I didnt like its sparkle finish.
    Few months later I "ebayed" a v-caster which turned out to be a mediocre instrument.

15. Roe

Roe Member

I recommend ebay.de for getting duesenbergs cheap

16. jn_gitfiddler

jn_gitfiddler Member

ok first of all...the starplayer special is a solid body...the starplayer tv series is the semi-hollow.
    there are a couple differences between the two. the special is a duel humbucker guitar with a stop tail bridge. the 49'er has a p-90 like pickup in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge and is a string through body.
    this probably isn't helpful anymore as it's an old thread, but just wanted to clarify that.
    both are great guitars in build, sound, and play.

17. tmaycock

tmaycock Member

The original question asked the difference between the 49er and Starplayer Special.

The special is a good deal cheaper, and it's also a good deal heavier.

The special has a bolt on neck whereas the 49er is set. The feel of the necks is quite different and the special took a lot of getting used to as it feels significantly bigger than other my other guitars. The 49er just feels like home. It's a sweet neck.

The special has those two-humbuckers and the guitar itself sounds more jangly than the 49er. The tone pot on the special gives you some strange tone and coil tap capability. You can get some nice tones, but I'm not convinced as to how practical this is for stage work if you want to move your sound around - takes a bit of dialing in.

The 49er has the same pickup configuration as the Starplayer TV and Double Cat, but sounds much warmer to my ears.

They're both exceptionally well made (well, mine are) but I'd go with the 49er if you can stretch to the extra cash.