Duesenberg Starplayer Special vs G&L ASAT Deluxe

hhylkema

Supporting Member
I've been eyeing an ASAT Deluxe with humbuckers http://musicstorelive.com/g-l-asat-...rst-master-grade-5a-maple-top-maple-neck.html

Then,
I stumbled across the Duesenberg Starplayer Special http://www.nstuffmusic.com/p-35752-...pV9E4K3M02van9YiL_TLD-j4lPwvn9Dfj4RoCmBXw_wcB

How do these compare? I like the longer scale length and 12' radius neck on both. Both guitars seem to offer a wide range of tones (coil splits).

I really don't know much about the Duesenberg pickups. The ASAT comes with a '59 and JB.

Your thoughts please...

SouthpawGuy

No experience of the Duesenberg myself, but I do have both a semi and a solid version of the ASAT Deluxe. One is stock, the semi, and the other is modded with P-Rails and triple shots switching. I can't say I like the split tones very much on the stock example. The modded one is very versatile, lots of useable tones. Neither sound anything like a tele, or a Les Paul of course. They have their own thing going on.

stock semi

modded solid body

SouthpawGuy

No problem. Don't know if you've played a #1 G&L neck ? Compared to an AM Std Strat or Tele it's not just the radius that is different. G&Ls medium jumbo frets are larger than Fenders medium jumbos, plus the G&L neck profile is fuller than my own 1990s Am Stds and a couple of 2006 Am Deluxe Strats.

hhylkema

Supporting Member
I have an ASAT Classic S w/ #1 and love it. It's my number #1 guitar. I recently sold my Legacy with a #1 neck to purchase my CS 60's strat. I can play both necks comfortably. The only necks I've had a difficult time with were Gibsons, which can be attributed to the scale length.

Back to the ASAT Deluxe and Starplayer Special - I'm just really torn between the two.

Ridgeback

I expect what is limiting your responses is experience with the Dberg. I had an ASAT Deluxe semi hollow for about 13 years and will provide my opinions on that but I can't compare it to the Dberg. On the ASAT: Loved the guitar, the 59\JB were just OK pups and I also didn't like the split JB tones. After a couple of years, I put Harmonic Design Z-90s in it and it came alive. One of my favorite guitars after that. It finally fell victim to my massive gear turnover of the past few years (wish I'd kept the Z-90s when I sold it). I missed it so much that I recently bought a used semi hollow ASAT Special. The big MFDs are not quite the same as the Z-90s but they are in the same zip code. Good luck with your decision.

newsonghawaii

I played a Duesenberg Starplayer TV at the Winter NAMM and I absolutely loved the playability and sound of the pickups. It was very special. Now you just need to be aware of the issues that have been raised over the "country of origin" of the Duesenbergs. I guess they're make in Korea (by excellent craftsmen, obviously) and then finished and set up in Germany. The NStuff price seems to reflect a lower street price, probably as a result of this revelation.
All I can tell you is I loved my time on that guitar!

Tomlin

Never played an ASAT but I've played a Starplayer and hands-down, the best feeling and playing guitar olive laid my hands on.

Mutley

I have owned and ASAT with the mfd pups and the tele shaped single coils. Loved the guitars and no doubt would if it had buckers. I have a Mike Campbell Starplayer now and it's #1 for me. Has the Grand Vintage Humbucker in the bridge, where on the Starplayer Special it is in the neck. IMHO it is a great pickup. Would probably be fine in the neck of a solid alder guitar. Never heard the Crunchbucker, tho. Playability I think the SS would be in the range of my Starplayer, which is effortless. My ASATs were typical for a T style guitar, which isn't bad at all, not as easy as the Doozy. The "push back" from any T style s part of the deal. I've had nerve problems in both hands and their never gonna be what they were, so playability is high on my "must have" list. Get them both!

Trending Topics