duke robillard???

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by iggy23, Mar 29, 2015.

1. iggy23

iggy23 Member

any love for him here???

tapeworm likes this.
  2. frdagaa

frdagaa Supporting Member

Absolutely. Very versatile blues dude.

3. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

I've been aware of him for a long time. Saw him with Roomful of Blues and John Hammond Jr.
    I was never a big fan until I heard this recording. All good tracks, no cd filler stuff:

4. iggy23

iggy23 Member

he does 'the old masters' to a T.... (t-bone,albert, lowell..)

5. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Big time, terrific player with great feel, as noted above ... :cool:

mc5nrg likes this.
  6. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

duke's fantastic! got hipped via ronnie earl & started at roomful and worked my way forward. haven't followed his output over the past decade but have been to his shows & still adore his playing - especially his swing & horn bands. love dukes blues, of course, and also really like the one he did with herb ellis.

7. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I've seen Duke dozens of times though the years. Guess you could say I'm a fan ... One of the best sounds I've heard live was Duke playing a big body Gibson jazz guitar through a Super Reverb at the bottom line. He and Charlie Baty always struck me as the most jazz-influenced and jazz-capable of all the modern blues players.
    MD

kidmo and Cottage like this.
  8. clamflatslim

clamflatslim Member

duke is a a national f***ing treasure.imho.

kidmo and Cottage like this.
  9. mr coffee

mr coffee Gold Supporting Member

used to see him live in a bar in upstate ny with his band the pleasure kings
    https://youtu.be/Dr9Ti9_xArw

https://youtu.be/rS-awnt1uog

when I saw him he was playing a tokai goldtop and a kustom twin (mesa-ish wood grain cab) and he sounded like a strat with a twin..go figure

10. JimR56

JimR56 Member

Fact.

11. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Great player. I think he flies under many people's radar because he is too jazzy for a lot of the blues crowd but too much in the blues camp to appeal to many in the jazz audience.

I like him for the exact same qualities

12. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I dunno, Duke handles every style of blues very well. And other stuff too, he toured in Dylan's band recently.

I started listening to him in the early 70s in Boston when he was in Roomful of Blues. They'd come to town every month or so and play a few nights around the clubs. Me and my friends would catch as many nights as we could, sometimes all of them. Great band, not just for Duke, but certainly he was a big part of it. And I've been a big fan ever since.

13. sideman

sideman Member

Ditto. When Duke led the original Roomful of Blues line-up in the mid and late '70s my friends and I would drive over an hour for his shows. They were a tremendous swing/blues band out of Providence, if memory serves, and cut two LPs in the late '70s. After that band broke up (supposedly when Duke refused to go on the road with the "Blues Brothers" after the 1980 movie), Duke worked with trios for awhile. Saw him a bunch in Boston and Cambridge in the '80s, including his "Pleasure Kings" trio (and bought that album); he was working a Strat alot then. Have seen less of him in the last couple decades (although caught three or four shows(, but bought his albums and still study his youtube clips. He does all kinds of roots and jazzy blues, but is the preeminent T-Bone Walker man - he can kill T-Bone styles. Duke was a formative influence on me. When the West Coast bands hit in the 90s - Rod Piazza, James Harmon, Little Charley - I was like, "hey that music is BACK!"

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  14. sideman

sideman Member

T-Bone style:

This little Duke comp lesson has over half-a-million licks cause it's so cool:

He had a good instructional video back in the day.

15. bolsen

bolsen Member

Duke is fantastic!

16. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

They didn't exactly break up, they replaced Duke with Ronnie Earl. Obviously did OK in the guitar playing department, trading one great player for another. But Ronnie doesn't sing, so they lost Duke's contributions there. Gradually had many personnel changes over the years.

17. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

I've seen both of them numerous times over the years, but one night I caught them together.
    I think Duke's band was fronting for Little Charly that night, but the reason I bring it up was at the end of the show, Duke came on and jammed a few high-octane jazz numbers with Charly and his band and they just ripped that place a new one.

Out of the hundreds of shows I've seen over the decades, that night is a standout memory.

18. Ferret

Ferret Supporting Member

Fine player and well worth hearing. He somehow isn't quite as well-known as he should be but how many good players share that fate? Some very rich career trajectories don't attract attention, while other less interesting ones get lots. I suppose it has a lot to do with ones focus on marketing.

19. sideman

sideman Member

"Break up" in the sense that that band was never the same. Ronnie came on as a guitar player, and was strong, but without the frontman (Duke) - great on guitar, vocals, and leadership - to my mind the band never recovered. Still like Roomful alot, and have seen its ever changing lineups many times (including with several friends that played with them) - but I'd give alot to see Roomful circa 1977.

20. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

This is going to sound like a troll... meh

I really like Duke Robillard and have several of his albums but I can't get over the live footage I've seen of him at the Byron Bay Blues festival maybe 15-20 years ago. It looked like he was going to drown the microphone in dribble and swallow that damn thing whole. :)