• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Duke's Swing the Blues ... Update

mikcaren

I wanted to thank all of your input for the Duke's Swinging the Blues series we're putting together. We've shot the video and are now in process mixing the audio / video and transcribing everything. Below is an early clip of Duke and Marty planing Jivin' the Rhythm ...

http://www.redoakmusic.com/online-guitar-lesson/duke-swing/index.html

... hope you all enjoy it.

One question. This is the hardest tune of the series ... and I was just wondering if this was too fast etc.. for a learning vehicle ... it is for me ... but I know a lot of you are probably stronger players than I am. Anyways, I would appreciate any feedback as we need to make decisions as to whether to transcribe it etc..

Again, thanks for your thoughts on the series and I will keep people posted as the material comes live.

Mike

stevel

One question. This is the hardest tune of the series ... and I was just wondering if this was too fast etc.. for a learning vehicle ... it is for me ... but I know a lot of you are probably stronger players than I am. Anyways, I would appreciate any feedback as we need to make decisions as to whether to transcribe it etc..

Again, thanks for your thoughts on the series and I will keep people posted as the material comes live.

Mike
1. The bass is too loud IMHO. This is supposed to be a guitar lesson isn't it?

2. I don't see any problem with the tempo.

3. For me personally, I have a hard time digesting something of this length - it's 4:00!

Personally, I'd like to have the head, and one or two solo sections that focused on a particular technique (unless for example, this piece is to be the culmination of a bunch of techniques you've learned earlier in the lesson/series) and then the ending.

In other words, I feel like I get more out of a lesson where I'd get the head, one solo, and then the head to close it out - that way I can "play a whole song" which feels like an accomplishment.

With something of this length, I feel like I get overwhelmed - do I work on the whole piece, do I do it section by section, etc. Then if I start working on it section by section, I get disinterested in it.

I think that if someone is going to be able to play something all the way through like this, they'll probably already be at the level where they're not really learning notes and licks, but simply picking up elements of what Duke is doing - of course if that's the goal, then it's right on.

YMMV,
Steve

Jon

I think the mix between the bass and guitar is ok - it's not obscuring the guitar in any way. IMO the tempo isn't a problem - as a 'real word' example it's at a pretty restrained tempo for a rhythm changes track - certainly slower than Duke & Herb play it on the album.

With ref to the length, do we know how it's going to be presented in terms of the lesson? It may be that this is the performance example which is then broken down into more-easily digestible chunks. If it is just going to be a video plus transcription it would help to have some way of relating where the video is in relation to the transcription - if you wanted to learn a couple of bars of licks that are towards the end, you don't want to be having to count bars through the performance just work out where they appear in the transcription.

rhp52

I think the bass is too loud, pull it back a little. this comes across as more performance oriented than a lesson, and that's OK. Are you planning on editing this?

For future reference, less camera time on the bass or other instruments and more on guitar fingering.

mikcaren

Thanks for the feedback. For the majority of the stuff we recorded, they are focused lessons on a particular subject ... typically learning two choruses of material ... in the context of a song.

For this track, Duke was playing through a couple example songs ... and when he played a few bars of this, we thought it had that magic ... so we recorded it. As we then reflected on it, we weren't sure about the tempo / length ... so we went to another tune for the lessons.

In terms of breaking this up ... everything is flexible. We put our lessons in a format where we have animated tab synchronized to the lessons ... so Jon, we can definitely do what you suggested.

Again, thanks for your thoughts and I'll let you know where we end up with it.

Mike

Trending Topics