1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Dull, dead-sounding new string (.056)- a dud?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by guitguy28, Aug 25, 2005.

1. guitguy28

guitguy28 Member

I recently restrung my Strat. I bought each string individually because I mix up the gauges according to my preference.

Anyway the low E was a .056. Compared to the other strings (the guitar is tuned to standard) it sounds dull and lifeless and totally lacking in sustain.

Is this a problem with the heavier gauges, that it would sound different?

Or could it be because perhaps it had been sitting around for a very long time, maybe in the owner's shop for many years?

Or could it just be a dud string or something?

2. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Have you used this gauge string before w/no problems?Is it sitting properly in the nut slot?Same brand and type of string as the other strings?If its not a nut issue could just be a bum string.

3. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I'd lay dollars to doughnuts you got a dead string. I'd heard of dead strings, but as often as I broke A and D strings and as often as I changed strings on my guitars and on my basses- I had never run into a bad string in 25 years. Some dead out of the package, but not a "bad string." One day last year I got a string that wouldn't intonate for anything. I was tearing my hair out- and it turned out to be a bad string.

4. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

It happens. I bought several packs of bass strings from a local shop a few months back that all had bad A strings in them - the sounded fine but lasted less than 2 hrs of playing time before breaking.

--chiba

5. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

If you bought singles and put them together to make your set, you could have bought a cheap brand of string or just a different brand for that big E.