dull high E string. please help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by TREV FLINT, Feb 18, 2008.

1. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Member

I am finding the high E string ( 1st string) on my partscaster sounds a little dull compared to the other strings. I have tried a new string thinking it was just a bad string but had the same results. I am wondering if maybe it has something to do with my nut slot..... I don't know. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Bob V

Bob V Member

Is the sound still dull when the string is fretted? If so then your trouble might be at the other end. You didn't mention if it's a tele or strat bridge. If it has six saddles, check and make sure the saddle is still resting on two height adjustment screws like all the other saddles, not flat against the bridge plate.

If the problem is only when the string is played open, then my first suspicion would be your nut slot might have the wrong angle or the string doesn't have enough down pressure behind it. Press the string down behind the nut and see if the tone gets better.

If all else fails you might double check the pickup height to make sure they're not too low; sometimes with staggered polepieces if you're just outside the sweet spot then some strings will be weak before others are.

3. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

If it's on the open string, look at the nut, if it's on open and fretted look at the bridge saddle.

4. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Sorry Bob we were typing at the same time.

5. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Member

Thanks for the replies. My guitar is a Telecaster with a 3 saddle setup. It seems to be dull freted and not. Just lacking the sparkle that the other strings have. What kind of suggestions can you make in regards to attaining that sweet spot with the pick up heights? I currently have the treble side of my bridge pu closer to the strings then the bass side and my neck pu is fairly even. Bridge pu also seems a little louder then the neck pu. I have a Dimarzio twang king neck and a SD Broadcaster bridge. I know I might be getting side track but I would appreciate the advise. Thanks

6. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Make sure the string is not running over the saddle screw hole. You may need to move it to the side. You may also need to adjust the screw height a bit to make sure you have a solid connection to the bridge.

John

7. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Trev - can you post a pic? That'd help ... then we could all see how close the pickup is, etc.

Thanks, Dana O.

8. beachwail

beachwail Member

I'm watching this thread closely because I have the same issue with my Hamer Daytona (strat copy). I have SD Alnico II's in there I think, and the poles are not individually adjustable... I do have individual saddles
    for all 6 strings, but the Wilkinson bridge on there is also brand new!

9. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Member

I'll post pics tonight

thanks

10. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Member

sorry, but how do I insert image???

11. Dana Olsen

'
    Hey Trev -

I use a site called Photobucket.com. First you upload the photo from your computer to Photobucket. Then copy the IMG code and paste it to your TGP post and the photo will appear in the post automatically.

Use the Preview Post button below to see if it worked.

Here is a pic of TGP's Scott Lerner playing the '56 LP Junior that Mark Robinson and I co-own.

Dana O.

[​IMG]

12. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Member

thanks for your help Dana!

Here are a few pics.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

From what I can tell the clearance issue is OK. I noticed the B string is closer to the height adjustment screw than the high E is to the other screw on that saddle. Make sure it has enough pressure on the outside height adjustment screw. Just for the fun of it use something to press down on the saddle next to the high E while play the string, maybe get some one to press while you play. You should check the pickup clearance while hold the strings down at the last fret. Shoot for something in the range of treble side 3/32 - bass side 4/32 with strings fretted at last fret, you can find tune from there. Any buzzing on the saddle at the take off point?

14. Dana Olsen

Good advice from Rosewood, and good pics. Hard to tell, but it looks to me like your action might be a little low and your treble pickup might be a little close to the strings.

I'd try the action at like 4-5/64", and put the treble side of the pickup no closer than 1/8" for starters and see if that changes anything.

Good Luck, Dana O.

15. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere