• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Dumb Humidifier Question

Mars Rover

Does it hurt to have the humidifier only a foot or so from the closest guitar?

I have a small room, barely bigger than an average walk-in closet. It closes off well from the rest of the house. A dozen guitars, electric and acoustic. A humidifier that holds about 3 gallons, 2 speed fan and 6 settings for % humidity. In past years, I've placed the humidifier a few feet away from the instruments. However, due to the location of the heater and electrical outlets, the best place for it is also the best place for the guitars. In the second best place, its just always in the way and so is the cord so I want to move it if there's no downside.

ylo

I would be careful with the humidifier placement. My most valuable guitar developed mold and hardware corrosion on the side of the case nearest a room humidifier (about a foot away) and cracks in the finish along the side of the neck (the wood expanded). I had to send the guitar back to the builder to get the neck refinished and had to replace the case just to get rid of the mold -- and it wasn't a cheap case.

Last edited:

blong

Silver Supporting Member
Humidity should be about 45%, give a or take a few %. I keep any acoustics or hollowbodies of any value in a case with a Planet Waves/D'Addario Humidipak. It keeps relative humidity at about 45%. If it's too dry, the thing releases water vapor. If it's too wet, it absorbs water vapor. It works wonders.

Get a hygrometer (measures humidity) and place it in the room. Over humidification can ruin a guitar as easily as arid conditions. Be careful what you do.

Good luck.

Bob

Mars Rover

Yeah thanks I should get a hygrometer. I do set the humidifier at 45% with no ill effects after several years. No rust or anything. My guess is that the room is much more humid in the summer. In fact I have to run a dehumidifier for the whole lower level of the house for a couple of months every year. No basement but it's a bi-level so partially below ground level.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
yeah, here on the mid-atlantic east coast we don't have a problem with dryness in the summertime!

you should only need the humidifier when you turn your house heat on in the fall and winter.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom