Dumb PRS trem question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by orourke, Apr 23, 2015.

1. orourke

orourke Member

I just got a brand new PRS Studio. I'll do the NGD thing in a few days when I can take some pics.

It's an amazingly beautiful guitar but the trem arm does not seem to fit into the hole that it's supposed to go into. There's a little black washer there and I don't know if I'm just supposed to force that arm in there. It certainly doesn't want to go in easily.

I've looked in the instruction manual, at the PRS website and Youtube and no one says anything about this.

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

Maybe it's not the original arm?

Mine goes in relatively easy, but it does have a little resistance, as it's designed to stay put.

3. kev

kev Member

First, congratulations on your PRS! Second, it's possible that the trem arm tension screw is part of the reason for the restriction. The hex screw access is located on the backside of the bridgeplate, (note, not the back of the guitar, but rather the back of the plate where the intonation screws are for the string saddles as well). Loosen that just a bit and see if it releases some of the tension on the insert to allow you to get the arm in, then gently tension the arm via the hex screw.

Info below is from the PRS website on the hex wrench sizing (question #8 on this FAQ):

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/faq.html

US-made Models:
    Tremolo Arm Screw & Tremolo Saddle Screws = .050” hex wrench
    Stoptail Bridge Screws = 1/16” hex wrench
    SE Models:
    Tremolo Arm, Saddles, & Stoptail Bridge Screws = 1.5mm hex wrench

Here's a bridge setup guide on the PRS website as well:

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/bridges.html

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  4. orourke

orourke Member

Thanks for going through the trouble of posting those links. I fiddle with that hex screw.

It should be the correct arm, I bought the guitar brand new sealed and double boxed from the GC website.

5. megaboogie

megaboogie Supporting Member

Yes you probably need to loosen the tension screw by where you insert the trem bar.
    I usually have it a bit loose so I can insert and pull out easy.

6. orourke

orourke Member

Yes, you guys were right. It was that little screw. Problem solved I thank you all.

I am freakin' loving this guitar. I've never had a guitar that felt so instantly comfortable with before. Like I said, I'll post some pic when I get a chance.

7. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

You know the guitar will actually sound better after you post pics. No lie, that works every time...

8. Chuck Chrome

Chuck Chrome Member

Great news!! Enjoy the guitar. It sounds like a good one.

9. kev

kev Member

Thanks for your follow through orourke, glad that was it! second'd to Chuck Chrome's above reply too!