Dumb question about pedalboards - do you have trouble hitting the right pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Eskimo_Joe, Jan 29, 2012.

Do you have any trouble hitting the intended pedal with your one level pedalboard?

1. Yes, frequently

2. Yes, but infrequently

3. No, works just fine

4. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

I'm afraid that without a second tier I would end up hitting the wrong pedal. (assuming two rows)

What's your experience?

Thanks!

2. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

I build my boards and prefer a flat-style board rather than an angled board. So w/ a second row, I use varying methods for risers. I use different thicknesses of plywood and cut them to size. I also make a riser w/ black rack panels to hold up to 5 pedals and use wood cut to size to raise the rack panel to my preference.

3. ibanart300

ibanart300 Member

It all depends on what I am playing. Like when I play Radiohead I quite often have to switch on multiple pedals on and off during the course of one song. So yeah it happens but not often. I think most people have had there pb moments where they hit the wrong pedal and etcetera.

4. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

Keep them spaced and keep it simple. If you don't use for more than one song a set, take it off the board. Works for me.

5. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

I use 2 PedalTrain Mini's in a wide upside-down V arrangement with my mic stand in the apex. Works for me.

6. teleclem

teleclem Member

Primarily the reason why I bought a true bypass looper/aux switch/dmc. Tap dancing (accurately) with lots of pedals/switches is hard.

When I didn't have those, my main problem was more of hitting and nudging adjacent knobs. My pedals are spaced nicely but I have big feet and unless I wear my Tom's (not appropriate for every gig), my shoes make it harder.

7. spence

spence Member

No trouble at all if you give them some space. I don't know how some guys use their boards in a live situation when they're crammed on there side by side. Especially if you move around on stage and need to switch in a hurry at times.

[​IMG]

8. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

I do ocassionally. Mostly on smaller pedals that are wedged in between bigger ones. Specifically my Danelectro octave pedal. Mostly I just hit knobs by accident on overdrives that are on the bottom row and on my Fuzzface.

9. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Most my pedals have different heights so I strategically place then where the taller ones ate in the back and it helps avoid this issue.

10. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

I use a PedalTrain Pro & I've had it packed full of pedals or spaced out, never had a problem.

11. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

I say 12 or less for live application... I need studio tone live and cannot be bothered by missing a stomper.
    My pt2 is a perfect staple for me because if it doesn't fit onthere...means I really dont need it or need to re-think my board setup.

12. Mark Wein

Mark Wein Member

I occasionally do because I have really large feet and too many pedals crammed into the space on my PT2

13. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

that's my main problem, I don't hit the wrong pedal, but do nudge some settings.

I just need to be more focused in the moment (and stop changing my board!)

14. aflynt

aflynt Member

I'm horrible at hitting the correct pedal. I often hit 2 at once and knock settings out of whack. Risers for the 2nd tier does help. What I've found that works best for me though, is an A/B loop pedal where I set up the A effects chain for one sound and the B chain for another. I try to keep each song down to 2 sounds and I've trained myself to accurately hit the A/B switch when I need to alternate.

-Aaron

15. nape

nape Member

Dude I run 4 pedals and a tap on a PT mini and I still hit the wrong pedal sometimes. I'm just not a well coordinated individual. When I ran a two tier board I made sure I had bigggg risers to lessen that.

16. TeamJA

TeamJA Member

I find when I drink less on stage, I have better accuracy.

17. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

I always hit the boss pedals by mistake when theyre next to another pedal, because the foot lever is too wide..ideally i want all small footswitches...

18. JRBain

JRBain Member

I've had trouble before, but not terrible.

The worst I can remember is a few awkward arrangements, caused by arranging the pedals based on the patch cables I had available. Having Boss pedals above tall EHX pedals (Eg. big box Small Stone) is something I wouldn't do again.

The second worst was with my Boss BF-2, which has a slightly dodgy switch. Having that above another Boss pedal was a bit annoying. Stepping on it only for it to flick on, off then on again (or vice versa) was even more annoying.

In sum, I think I would use a raised tier arrangement if I were going for a larger board again. It just makes sense, and it allows stowage of cables and whatnot.

19. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

I had a few troubles with a tightly packed board. Changed my setup to a true bypass looper to solve this issue and others.

20. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

Interesting stuff -- I have found that pedals with two switches can be problematic on stage. Invariably I'll hot both at the same time when I meant to hit only one, or when I'm trying to turn one off, I end up hitting the boost side. Aye aye aye!