Dumb question: How "good" is my Jet City cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by schandmann, Mar 22, 2015.

1. schandmann

schandmann Member

I have some money saved and I'm pondering whether to upgrade my rig:

Thinline Telecaster -> bunch of pedals -> Acoustic 270 head -> Jet City 2x12" with Celestion G12H-100's

I'm really satisfied with my tone. The Acoustic is rather "dark", which is nice with a Telecaster. The Celestions don't fart out even at higher volumes (the 270 gets LOUD) and they impart a bit of dirty Celestion flavour. I like a "neutral" base tone for my pedals, so it's a good rig for me overall. Not sterile, but "**** in->**** out" (in a good way).

GAS being what it is though, I'm wondering if the Jet City cab might be the weak link. :facepalm
    Would a more expensive cab really sound that much better? The JC is nice and light plywood and it seems well built.
    I could take the amp to a music store and try a few cabs, but in the end I'd need to test drive a cab under rehearsal conditions to really know if it would work for me.

Has anyone made the jump from a decent mass-produced cab to something like an Avatar or better and felt it was worth the money? I'd reuse the G12H-100's btw.

2. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

Those speakers really do make amps seem louder. The low end it pretty big and fairly tight. The high end can be rather brash, so certain amps won't like them.
    As far as the cab construction, I think it's decent. I have 2 greenbacks in mine and it's a sweet sounding cab.

3. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Silver Supporting Member

Those Jet City cabs are nicely built, I doubt an Avatar would sound "better", though it might sound different.

4. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

If you basically like your rig... then most of the things you desire will be eq related. So why not just get an EQ? I personally use it in the loop but they can work up front as well.

The biggest factor in a cab for me is the construction material...whether it's solid pine or birch ply. Figure out which you prefer...for me it's pine.

Next factor would be how its back and or ports are designed. Another personal preference issue. Right now I like a convertible 2x12 cab with a slot opened in the back. Just depends on how tight you want the sound to be.

5. jtees4

jtees4 Member

This may sound like a dumb answer, but it happens to be true. The cab is as good as it sounds. Period.

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Best use of your money would probably to get a extra 2x10, 1x10 or even a 1x15 8ohm cab depending on which way you want to go. Being as you say it's a bit dark I'd think 10".

That amp is stable down to a 2ohm load so running it at 4ohm (2-8ohm cabs) would be a piece of cake. You'll have earth shaking power running at that load and say adding just a 1x10 with a say a tone tubby 40/40-10" 8ohm will give you just hint more tighter feel. Tone tubby is 100db speaker just like your Celestions so will blend right in and add a nice midrange warmth.

Also agree with Carl_Tone that EQ would be one of best things you could spend your money on, a VFE rocket parametric with is mids sweep that goes anywhere from 60hz up to 6khz would be the perfect sauce for fine tuning your tone, you can hit spots in between all current EQ knobs and way above them.

7. schandmann

schandmann Member

Thing is, I'm not looking for "more" in any way. Between the Treble, Mid & Bass controls and the 5 band graphic EQ, I can fine tune the amp pretty well. I actually like the darker tonality of the Acoustic, but it's easily brightened up via EQ.
    Just wondering whether a higher quality cab would sound "better" than the Jet City. I know, of course, that there is no easy answer to that question

The 2x12" is running at 4 Ohms already. Is the amp really stable at 2 Ohms? If so, a second cab could be a wise investment. I'll look into that.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  8. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

Then why change your rig?
    If you've got GAS, and some extra cash, then something that would give you something different in your sound might be in order.