dumb question I need to ask

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by DrPCR, Feb 7, 2006.

1. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

Ok, folks don't fry me on this dumb question. I made some simple recordings with my maudio mobile pre and they are recorded as huge wav files. I want to convert them to MP3s. I used to use winamp to do that yrs ago, but now I can't remember how to do it again. So if anyone can tell me how to convert my wav files to MP3 format, I will be very very happy.

Thanks

2. amper

amper Member

I'd use Apple's iTunes to do the conversion. iTunes is one of the best ripping programs out there. It's very hard to beat for sound quality.

3. justicetones

justicetones Member

+1 on that.

4. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

thanks, worked great!!

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

[rant mode] JMO, but I hate the way iTunes rips MP3s. It does some kind of EQ enhancement which reduces the midrange, even if you have it at the "flat" setting, which I don't like. It also does that on playback from any audio file or CD. Well-mixed tunes sometimes lose their punch. I hear a definite qualitative difference between MP3s ripped by iTunes and those ripped by professional software at the same bit rate.

I've been using Peak LE, which uses the LAME algorithm to rip MP3s and does a great job for that only. Now here I go with my "what sucks about Peak" rant within a rant...

[rant-in-rant] Peak LE doesn't take all file types, allows you to save only in a few file types, and allows only one plug-in at a time... unless you upgrade to the Pro version for another couple hundred. Another thing that bugs the crap out of me about Peak is that every time you open a sound file in it – EVERY time, whether you make changes or not, whether you save or not – the modification date is changed. I move MP3s of my work back and forth among several computers, and the modification dates help me keep track of which are up-to-date.

Also, for audio editing and processing other than simple MP3 conversion, even for just two tracks, I'm unimpressed with Peak compared to ProTools on every level. [/rant-in-rant]

I recently downloaded a demo of DSP-Quatro, which got great reviews for sound quality in some mag I read. It's much cheaper and takes any kind of file you throw its way, also a MUCH better interface than Peak, but I have yet to put it through the paces as far as audio quality.[/rant]

6. loudboy

loudboy Member

Try WinLAME - it's free, sounds great and is very easy to use.

Loudboy

7. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

8. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
  9. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

Thanks again, I will try winlame

and who says questions don't get answered quick here!