dumb question re:fender bridge

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by schaljo, Feb 25, 2008.

1. schaljo

schaljo LEGEND

I've got a 2005 EJ Strat. Is there supposed to be some sort of tensioning spring inside the threaded hole for the trem arm?

2. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

No. Does that arm 'screw in' or 'click in'?

3. schaljo

schaljo LEGEND

4. dkals

dkals Member

5. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

I am sure that the screw in type has no way to 'hold it in place' aside from screwing it all the way in...maybe someone has a trick to that that I don't know of. I know the screw in Floyd Rose and FR style have a nut behind the arm with a poly bushing that can be tightened to hold them in place.

If someone doesn't come up with a good recommendation you could use teflon tape (plumbers use it to stop leaks in threaded plumbing applications) on the last threads to screw in...that may be a viable option to keep the bar in place temporarily.
    Good find dkals!!

6. schaljo

schaljo LEGEND

So they did come with a spring. I remember when I got my 1st, and only other strat, it had a little spring that I promptly lost. I imagine a spring out of a ballpoint pin or the like would work fine. BTW dkals, what part of Illinois you from?

7. dkals

dkals Member

Naperville.

I remember the first time I turned my strat face down. Afterwards I found a little spring on the carpet and thought, well thats not good. GC sells a little bag of them with 5 or 6 springs. Like I said there more threads debating the spring on the Fender site then the one I listed. I replaced the spring by personal choice. I figure Fender has it there for a reason.