Dumb question: What's a dotted eighth delay?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rust1975, Feb 19, 2008.

1. rust1975

rust1975 Member

Seriously, I grew up playing drums in school, now been playing guitar for 19 years. I know all the beat counts and stuff. But what's a dotted eighth sound like? The whole one-eee-and-uh pattern?

Can someone explain this to me? Any music samples of this?

And can I just tap this tempo into a pedal?

Thanks!

2. d-b

d-b Member

O.K. I'll do it...
    http://guitarpraise.blogspot.com/2007/05/delay-dotted-8th-note-delay.html

I found that one with a quick google search. Dotted eighths are huge for The Edge (that U2 guy) and some sweet Pink Floyd. I read an interview with Stewart Copeland (that Police guy) where he said he used dotted eighths in some off his rythyms. The easiest way to do it is with a delay pedal that has a dotted eighth setting. I use the boss DD20 Giga delay and DD6 which both have it. Go listen to "Where the Streets Have No Name" and "Run Like Hell". Crank up the delay and play less. Let the delay work for you!!!

3. rust1975

rust1975 Member

And that's what I was looking for. Great link!

4. brightboy

brightboy Silver Supporting Member

Watch this video (especially when he demonstrates his Boss DD-5 delay pedal):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHoMvEai39A

BTW: This is the guitar player for Chris Tomlin (popular Christian worship artist)

Cheers,

Jeff

5. Lebowski

Lebowski Member

what pedals have the dotted 8th as a comlete function, meaning not having to do the whole tap thingy and timing it right. I know the echo park and the DD20 has it but are there any others that have it specifically so you can just set it and then on and off via footswitch?

6. d-b

d-b Member

As I stated earlier...Boss DD20, DD6 and I think the EHX Deux memoryman? maybe? there are others of course...

7. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Yes, DD20 and Echo Park have it. The Memory Man does not.

Also,

TC Nova Delay
    Eventide Timefactor
    Damage Control Timeline
    Diamond Pedals Memory Lane 2 (or a modded one)
    T-Rex Replica (under debate, but the one's I've played match up perfectly with the dotted eighth setting on the Timefactor)

probably some more

8. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

So that's what That is called. Cool...thanks

9. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fosr3B0p79A
    It's actually quite easy to learn once you understand the sound and feel.
    In this vid he domonstrates dotted 8th in the first 30 secs.
    And the mem man does not have this feature.

10. Dale

Dale Member

How can a pedal do a dotted 8th without a tap or your manually setting it? I would assume the dotted 8th is a different time lag when playing at 100bpm compared to 135bmp. No?

11. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

It can't, haha. I'm not aware of any delay pedals that have one preset delay time with no knob or tap tempo switch for adjusting the delay time (unless I'm seriously missing something here). For certain pedals (i.e. Memory Lane w/ dotted 8th mod), you only need to tap in the actual tempo and the pedal adds the dotted 8ths in when the switch is flipped.

12. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

dd5 preset 12 does it.

t-rex does quarter note triplets. i might buy a memory lane with 8th note mod because my replica doesn't do dotted 8ths.

13. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

Guys! The idea of the dotted eighth note (or any dotted rhythm) is that it creates that syncopated three note grouping we all know and love. Think of it this way for any delay with no settings for note value: Find your base pulse (ie: 60 bpm where quarter note equals 60) tap your foot in time with the quarter note pulse. Now subdivide each quarter into 16th notes.
    (one-E-and-A, two-E-and-A, three-E-and-A,four-E-and-A.) your dotted eighth note will fall in the following places (!):

1-E-&-A, 2-E-&-A, 3-E-&-A,4-E-&-A.
    ! . . ! . . ! . . ! . . ! . . ! etc

You can do the same with any three or 4 beat grouping. Actually, if you can feel it, there's no reason not to do it in 5 note or 7 note groupings. (How many people would catch on, though?;))

Why not try tapping your delay tempo in 4 quarters over 3 when playing in waltz time? Very hip...

Steve

14. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

...my little diagram got reformatted when I posted. Just assume that the !..! lines up with the one e and A's. Long story short...tap every third 16th note. Why do I overcomplicate things?

Steve

15. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Code:
    1-E-&-A 2-E-&-A 3-E-&-A 4-E-&-A.
      !   !   !   !   !   !   !   !       etc
    What I find is generally something in the 400-450ms or so range works (depending on the tempo of the song of course). When I used to use an Echoplex in church, I never had to adjust the time.

16. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

Thanks for the edit! Shift everything back a 16th so it starts on the one, and you're golden....

17. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

Upon closer inspection, that's not it at all, Skreddy! We'll get this yet. Damn interweb machine...Here's what it should look like:

1-E-&-A, 2-E-&-A, 3-E-&-A,4-E-&-A.

Final answer. Sleep now...

18. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

I've played with this stuff for years but never really understood exactly what was going on. But what I'm hearing is nicely explained on that blog post that's linked on page 1. You're playing nice, easy stuff with maybe some 8th notes and maybe some pausing in syncopation (I don't know; it's a feel thing), and the delays turn it into something intricate, like alternate-picking, syncopated triplets or something. For me, U2 "Bad" is a favorite example, as are "Another Brick in the Wall" and "Run Like Hell."[​IMG]

19. holyears

holyears Member

This link is a very cool site - Thanks

20. mpc

mpc Member

Are you sure about this? I have a dd5 and mine only has 11 modes not 12, and as far as I can tell mode 9 is dotted 8ths.....