Dumb Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by massacre, Feb 19, 2017.

1. massacre

massacre Silver Supporting Member

Hello,

This may be a dumb question but my vintage tube amp has a 2-prong plug.
    Will my tone change if I update it to a proper 3-prong plug?
    Thanks.

2. tonegangster

tonegangster Silver Supporting Member

No, and it might just keep from burning your house down

custom53, Wyzard and TEPR like this.
  3. davess23

davess23 Member

The first thing a competent amp tech will do if you bring him a vintage tube amp is to recommend replacing the 2-prong death cord with a 3-prong.

Wyzard and massacre like this.
  4. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I think the bigger question would be "Is there tone after death?"

Wyzard and massacre like this.
  5. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

There's almost something to this. ;-)

Fender went to 3-prong and look what happened.

RussB and massacre like this.
  6. High/Deaf

High/Deaf Member

No, but it might change the feel. Especially if you're sitting on it and plugged into an amp across the room.

massacre likes this.
  7. massacre

Thanks for the responses!
    Amp is only plugged in when I am playing it, couple hours maybe. Then I unplug it and put it away. One time I was playing and touched a light switch and got a little zap. Enough to get my attention lol but the amp sounds so good, I haven't changed it because I am afraid the amp will sound different. Amp gets good and warm but never hot.

8. zenas

zenas Member

What kind of amp is it ?
    And no a properly grounded cord will not effect tone. With the exception of possibly getting rid of some back ground noise. But an amp old enough to have a two prong cord has other parts that'll make it noisy anyway. Like electrolytics about ready to blow.
    I like old amps as close to original as possible but grounded cords and fresh electrolytics, like they had originally.

Wyzard and Baxtercat like this.
  9. massacre

Amp is a Vega, model A-49. Pretty sure it's late 50s-early 60s, bone stock except for 1 orange drop. 6 watts. 1 tone 1 volume knob, tone knob is on/off switch. 1 5y3, 1 6v6, and 1 6sn7 for tubes.

10. eolon

eolon Silver Supporting Member

No, it won't change the tone of the amp. Some older amplifiers have the potential to develop ground loops when the line ground is added, and that can add noise floor. I have done lots of conversions, though, and creating ground loops is very rare.

Best Regards,

Don

massacre likes this.
  11. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I don't miss suavely stepping up to the mic and snapping my head back when my lips touched the mic. Such bad showmanship. Personally, I've never died from it, but by all means I'd update one if I had a 2 prong, especially since going on 72 with a weak heart and pacemaker.

RussB, massacre, zenas and 1 other person like this.
  12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Well, to be fair, a 3 prong cord is NOT a guarantee that you won't get shocked. If the damn electrician wires a socket or two wrong, you can still end up with a relative difference in the charge of two amps and it'll still hurt. You probably won't die, though... I could joke that changing the cord could result in some of your mojo getting drained to ground thru the extra conductor, but it's too serious, I won't. Get the thing changed to 3 prong, and check the wiring in your house (or only plug ALL equipment into the same outlet).

massacre, zenas and Wyzard like this.
  13. zenas

zenas Member

Glad to here the tube lineup is 5y3,6v6,6sn7. That means it's not one of those cheap things with no power transformer. Those can be really shocking.

massacre likes this.
  14. copperhead

copperhead Member

Jamming in the basement & the bass player was using the Old Traynor YBA 1 with the 2 prong plug , I was playing guitar & in close proximity of the bass player & the tuning machine/key of his bass touch the bare skin of my arm [​IMG] .It's been 20 years & I've yet to forget about that

massacre and candid_x like this.
  15. massacre

I do always use the same receptacle every time I play this amp. I will def check the receptacles in my house, I never checked them when I moved in.

Thanks again for the responses!

16. eolon

eolon Silver Supporting Member

Reversed polarity is pretty common in houses where the homeowners have wired receptacles without knowledge of Electrical Code, and also in bars and other venues. A good outlet ground checker is a must, and they aren't expensive. You can also check them with a DMM. In older homes (<1970) sometimes there is no dedicated ground wire, and this can be just as bad. The only solution is rewire the receptacles, adding a dedicated ground. These are usually the wall outlets that have only 2 connectors in the receptacle, no ground pin. In the olden days when I was playing in bands, these were very common.

Best Regards,

Don

massacre likes this.