Dumb speaker wire question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by BlueHeaven, Jan 19, 2006.

1. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

OK, I'm switching speakers in my 1x12 cab from a Greenback to an Emminence. The Celestion has wires that are soldered on at the speaker and have those "push on" ends (for lack of a better name) that attach to the input jack on the cab. The Emminence came with no wires at all but has the same male ends like the input jack for the "push on" ends. My question is; what exactly do I call what I'm looking for and where (Radio Shack, Guitar Center) do I buy them? I need them to have the female "push on" ends at BOTH ends.
    Thanks,
    Greg

2. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Oh yeah, how long are the wires usually? If I turn the speaker so the name is upright (vanity!) the jacks are the bottom of the speaker.

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

You can get the clips at Rat Shack but a lot of folks will just solder everything together.

You want the wires to be long enough to have a little slack but short enough that they're not not flopping around.

4. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Can you get the wires with the clips on already at both ends? I don't have a soldering gun.

5. mbratch

mbratch Member

I'd get the stuff at a decent hardware store rather than Shadio Rack. You can probably find connectors that crimp on if you have a strong set of pliers or crimp tool.