Dumble 102, 124, and 183? Tone difference?

slopeshoulder

I doubt many (any?) here have actually played them or that anyone has compared them in the same room, but can anyone summarize the received wisdom of how Dumble #102 (Robben) and #124 differ in TONE? Extra points for #183.

Thanks.

mickelodeon

102 is very Dumble like. It's got a lot of Dumble tone, whereas 124 has more of
a Dumble thing going on. 183 is a good example of the Dumble tone.

Honestly, in listening myself, there are differences as there are in any amps, but given how responsive D-style circuits are, it may come down to who you heard playing each one more than the amps being much different. IMO, YMMV, ROTLFWTFBBQ

Flame suit = on.

JackStraw12

Isn't 183 EL34 whereas the other two are 6L6? Not that that would account for a lot of tonal differences. I think on Robben's amp the Master pot is a 100K, but this is just based off what I read online so who really knows? Dumbles are cool.

slopeshoulder

Any informed answers? People in D world seem to make a big deal out of this (Sebago, Quinn, Jetter pedals, Bludotone).

benjammin_

this might be helpful:

ceriatone standard OTS: http://ceriatone.com/images/layoutPic/OvertoneLayout/Overtone100-V2-Ceriatone.jpg
ceriatone ford mustang OTS (assuming this is based off robben ford's): http://ceriatone.com/images/layoutPic/OvertoneLayout/OTSFM100W.jpg
ceriatone 183 OTS: http://ceriatone.com/images/layoutPic/OvertoneLayout/OTS183-100W.jpg

there are quite a lot of differences between the three, so these might help! of note are different tubes, different pot values, different mid boost/bright values, etc etc etc. as has been said a million times, HAD apparently tweaked all these amps to the specific person, so obsessing over circuit differences might be kind of a lost cause

mickelodeon

Well, you were d**k enough to send the thread down the toilet from the get go. So thanks for that.

Any grown up responses from D peeps?
??? The thread didn't go down the toilet. And besides that, I offered valid points in the second half (that the players I'm the clips we listen to have more of a tonal impact that the circuit differences). I just opened with a joke. Relax, dude.

wyatt

102 is very Dumble like. It's got a lot of Dumble tone, whereas 124 has more of a Dumble thing going on.
+1

Unless you have the two circuits side-by-side, you probably wouldn't be able to identify which one you were playing. Despite circuit and voltage differences, the tonal differences are relatively minor.

The 102 has a little more gain, which translates into more saturation/compression for those sustaining single note solos. The 124 has a little less gain and less compression, which may let a little more picking dynamics to shine through. Obsessive people make a big deal about this because you are supposed to appreciate the nuances.

Last edited:

mickelodeon

+1

Unless you have the two circuits side-by-side, you probably wouldn't be able to identify what one you were playing. Despite circuit and voltage differences, the tonal differences are minor.

The 102 has a little more gain, which translates into more saturation/compression for those sustaining single note solos. The 124 has a little less gain and less compression, which may let a little more picking dynamics to shine through. Obsessive people make a big deal about this because you are supposed to appreciate the nuances.

Exactly. Glad you understand what I was getting at through a joke. They're all extremely similar without a schematic in front of you.

Last edited:

wyatt

Any informed answers? People in D world seem to make a big deal out of this (Sebago, Quinn, Jetter pedals, Bludotone).
Quite the contrary. Sebago's exact words..."the differences are fairly subtle."

sub·tle (ˈsədl) adjective (especially of a change or distinction) so delicate or precise as to be difficult to analyze or describe

Well, you were d**k enough to send the thread down the toilet from the get go. So thanks for that.

Any grown up responses from D peeps?
If you choose to be offended by a harmless joke, you don't deserve to laugh. Only cheating yourself.

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
I've heard Robben's several times, Joe B's, Santana's, Sonny's, Larry's, and I believe a couple more. My favorite has always been Sonny's, but I wonder if it's because he uses single coils. Not sure what s/n Sonny has.

Joe's was really cool too, but he ran it with other amps.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
I've heard Robben's several times, Joe B's, Santana's, Sonny's, Larry's, and I believe a couple more. My favorite has always been Sonny's, but I wonder if it's because he uses single coils. Not sure what s/n Sonny has.

Joe's was really cool too, but he ran it with other amps.
I would have loved to have heard Sonny when he was using old Peavey's. I hear he was awesome.

Trending Topics