Dumble Acquired

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jnavas, Dec 27, 2005.

1. jnavas

jnavas Guest

I recently decided to give up motorcycling and sold both my bikes as well as the assorted tools I have accumulated during 15 years of riding (too many close calls and a broken leg that still bothers me from time to time). Anyway, I have been really interested in Dumble amplifiers for sometime and decided to put the money I gained from the bikes into an amp.

So, after much searching on a number of boards, I ended up calling the one old bandmate from high school who sort of made it and now works with a very successful female country star. He made a few calls for a month and I was able to purchase a Dumble Super Overdrive and matching bottom from an individual who was a casual player/collector and was looking to liquidate a few high end amps in order to purchase more guitars.

Anyway, this is an amazing amp and I do not regret the purchase. The touch response is unmatched in anything else I have owned or played through and I love the lead tones from this amp. I can get a tone that cuts through anything. I sat in with a friend's country cover band and on some modern country tunes (Alcohol-Brad Paisley and two I am unfamiliar with), the amp sliced through the band without being too loud. The house sound man was blown away.

If anyone has some mic recommendations for this, please let me know. I would love to post some clips, but I want to do this amp justice.

2. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Hey dude cant tell ya what to mic it with but ya can allways bring to the house and set in with us.

3. jnavas

jnavas Guest

I am going to borrow some mics later this week. Right now, I know I want to go with a 57 (really need to buy one anyway-might have to ride to GC and get one or two) and I guess I am going to try a few others.

There is a Sennheiser that is fairly popular for guitar amps-I just can't recall which one.

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

There is nothing wrong with a good ol SM57. If you might end up using it to Mic it live I would suggest a Beta 57 though they do color the sound just a bit for added cut through the mix live and they feedback less.

As far as a fancy Mics I have no advice to offer.

5. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

royer R121 placed dead centre about 6" to a foot out run thru some sort of high gain tube mic pre.

6. jnavas

jnavas Guest

That might be it. I am going to ride into Atlanta today and look around a few places for some good microphones.

I have an adequate recording setup-Emu1616m and Sonar LE and Cubase LE. That, along with a few good mics, should do well for capturing the amp.

7. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

I found found the SM57's to be just OK. I would avoid the Beta Series, as they sound harsh to me. Good for drums and vocals, not so good for guitars.

The best mic that I have found that isn't over $1000, is the Sennheiser e609 Silver. Very little coloration, which to me, is key. Compare to a 57, and you will be blown away. What you put in it, is what you get out. Of course, if you want to spend over 1K, there are many choices.

Hamilton

8. mischultz

mischultz Member

The 609 is probably the one although the 421 is an exceptional mic as well. You might keep an eye out for the Audix D series mics (1-4,6): very tight pattern and you can - to a point - choose your response curve since the 1&2 and 3&4 are very similar to one another with slightly differing EQ characteristics.

Moving up in the world, the Audio Technica AT4047 and the aforementioned Royer would be excellent choices as well.

Congrats on the amp.

Michael

9. jnavas

jnavas Guest

10. parker

parker Member

Congratulations on a wonderful amp! Enjoy its legendary tones.... Clips are now in order !

11. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

Congrats on the amp. I think you made a good life choice there. Playing electric guitar is much safer than motorcycles. I have enjoyed making a couple of clips with my Sennheiser 421. It seems to have a little more beefy texture than my Beta 57.

12. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

I could care less about the Dumble, tell us about the video game! I was an arcade junky in the late 70's-mid80's and I love standup units.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

For recording purposes the Betas do add some bight. This is for the signal cutting through the mix in a live setting.

14. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

jnavas

If you go by GC at Druid Hills ask to speak to Adam Youndblood. Tell him the Beaze sent you.

15. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

Congrats on the acquisition! I hope you enjoy it. I recently did something similar. I liquidated my classic car collection and purchased a few amps and guitars that I've been wanting. I never had the time to fully enjoy my cars and the upkeep was becoming a drag. I'm enjoying my new equipment every day.

16. mprvise

mprvise Member

Sorry to hear you gave up motorcycling, but congrats on the amp!!! If I ever decide to give up riding the proceeds from selling my bikes will go straight to gear as well. :cool:

17. redjet55

redjet55 Member

damn musta been some damn nice bikes to clear the dumble and a stand up vid game ;)

18. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

So how 'bout a pic?
    :BEER

19. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

Outstanding score on The Dumble!! I have a Cesar Diaz CD-100
    and use a Marshall 4x12TV. I use a Shure Beta 56 to mic the cab.
    I tried a 57 but it didn't have the "Body" of the 56. For recording I use a Groove Tube MD1 tube condenser mic.
    Howard & Cesar were the best!!:AOK