Dumble amplifiers... Hype vs History

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Gurtz, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Gurtz

Gurtz Senior Member

Please point me to specific recordings which featured a Dumble amplifier in the mix. If they're so great, why doesn't every top-tier guitarist in the world record with them?

I found a few YT clips of people noodling, but I'd like to hear one used in a band context.

They sound great, but I'm not hearing $40,000.00 worth of tone...

2. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Oooo, finally a new topic to discuss here at TGP :aok

3. NoQuarter

NoQuarter Member

And you probably wont hear it on a Youtube video. Pedal/guitar/amp demos are not accurate in my experience. There is allot more going on.

4. Gurtz

Gurtz Senior Member

Some mighty fine music there! :drink

5. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

Isn't the whole Little Feat, waiting columbus a Dumble?

6. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

Wrong forum. But honestly, just do a little research. I don't particularly love the Dumble tone as it's usually presented here by all the elevator blues nerds that populate this forum. But the Dumble does more than that, and as such they've been used all over by Larry Carlton (so Steely Dan and a bunch of other stuff he played on), David Lindley and Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, John Mayer, SRV, and a whole bunch of others on recordings that have combined to sell approximately one gazillion albums.

7. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Dumble seems to have figured out how to get a "Clean Scream" tone. In other words little or no fuzzy elements in the distortion. In fairness certain Marshall amps do this as well, but albeit very loud volume, and that's also what Howard D. has addressed w/ his designs.

8. Fidel

Fidel Member

I think it is a lot of hype and some people buying the hype. I realize they are great amps ( I admit I have never played through one), but, great albums, and songs, were mainly played through Fenders and Marshalls. Of course, there are plenty of Dumbles on albums, but, the Beatles, Stones, Cream, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Sabbath, etc. did not use Dumbles. In fact, Eric Johnson, (who used to use them) does not anymore. SRV recorded his last album (In Step) on an old Bassman.

For the price of a used Dumble (I am guessing $50,000 or so), you can buy, an original Marshall Plexi Stack, black Face Fender Twins, or other type of black face Fender amp,a pre CBS Tele or Strat, a decent Martin, and a bunch of other stuff, and still have money left for a good burrito. Tone is in your hands. Carlton, Ford, Santana, and other Dumble users sounded great before using Dumbles. Just my 2 cents.

9. Gurtz

Gurtz Senior Member

They sound like a Fender Super Twin (pushed with a pedal), or maybe an early Boogie MK I to me.

John Hurtt and AustinIsPresent like this.
  10. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

How dare you speak such blasphemy!!! ;)
    I agree completely.

11. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

This.

12. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

Fixed that for you.

If you don't want to make it sound like Robben Ford, then don't make it sound like Robben Ford.

This is also "Dumble tone":

And so is this:

The Dumble amps themselves aren't worth the crazy money they command unless you're a real idiot, but the tone and feel is plenty useful. Not to mention there are plenty of amps that'll do that for much less money than the real thing or some of the stupid-expensive clones go for.

13. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I believe all the Carlton SD tracks are a Tweed Deluxe.

14. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

All I ever hear is the huge reverb tank.

:dunno

MikeVB likes this.
  15. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

This Carlton/Ford concert is probably the best collection of Dumble overdrive tones I've heard.

Another Carlton video;

Maybe the reason we don't hear more Dumbles live is because they are so darn valuable these days, no reason to carry such a thing out of the vault with so many clones/copies out there (Two Rock, Fuchs, Bludotone, etc).

Dumbles are very intolerant of poor guitars and poor playing, they don't help you at all in that regard.

BTW, the video the OP linked to the Premier Guitar test is not a good representation of great Dumble tone, in fact it's fairly poor. For one thing, they are using Vintage 30 speakers, which do not like bright amps like Dumbles. Dumbles like warmer/more neutral speakers like G12-65's or EVM-12L's. Good Dumbles should be warm sounding with exquisite detail and dynamics.

16. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer

People need to get over this idea of greatest or best. There isn't a best overall amp, but there is a best tool for the job. Dumble amps have a distinct overdrive sound that can be hard to replicate. If that's the sound you want then that's the right tool for the job. I have no use for that sound in what I do. A guy like Robben Ford lives there.

17. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

Ugh, posting Robben Ford and Larry Carlton clips like those are what make most people think the Dumble tone is some sort of inside joke we weren't let in on. Elevator smooth blues tones are the worst example I can think of unless you really like that music. Given their record sales vs. the rest of the world, I think it's safe to assume a lot of people (present company very much included) don't like that music or pretty much anything about it.

Seriously, I heard all this talk about what a great rhythm player Robben Ford was, so I finally bought a record. My first thought was, "Wow, yep, they were right, this dude is a beast. But what's with this cheesy-ass tone?" And then much to my surprise, a couple years later I sign up here and it's all anyone in the Tag club can talk about. Weird.

I love the big Dumble style cleans - they sound pretty good on their own and they're great to throw pedals in front of, much like a good Twin but with a little more midrange. But the OD tones have always mystified me. The only people I've ever met that like them are guitar players who idolize players that only guitar players idolize (Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, Joe Bonamanamana). Thanks but no thanks. I much prefer playing for girls than middle aged TGP men.

(sorry, that probably sounds like a butthurt rant, but I did play with a guy pretty well known for using Two Rocks and being a guitar monster, and while that was fun, playing for TGP every night got real old real fast)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  18. Nonvintage

Nonvintage Member

I just saw Robben recently and he was using the Tele into a Hall of Fame Mini Reverb pedal and an EP booster into his Dumble. It sounded very loud clear and slightly overdriven.

19. Gurtz

Gurtz Senior Member

Dumble is a bright amp? They don't sound bright to me.

20. Gurtz

Gurtz Senior Member

When I listen to a Dumble, I hear a unique breakup in the low to lower mid section of the curve, similar to a Boogie MK I and Cornford amplifiers. Both are very boutique sounding to my ears.