Dumble and Guitar Wank

trl

Silver Supporting Member
I have nothing to do with the podcast "Guitar Wank" but I think a lot of you might enjoy the current series they are running. Its all people who knew Howard Dumble personally and are able to share stories to break through the myth. One of the hosts, Bruce Forman, had Dumble mod an amp too so you get a lot of information about how Dumble worked and what he was like as a person. They are also really funny:

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I have nothing to do with the podcast "Guitar Wank" but I think a lot of you might enjoy the current series they are running. Its all people who knew Howard Dumble personally and are able to share stories to break through the myth. One of the hosts, Bruce Forman, had Dumble mod an amp too so you get a lot of information about how Dumble worked and what he was like as a person. They are also really funny:

I enjoyed them, thanks for the posting. I'm currently listening to some non-Dumble ones as well.

ProfessorA

Spoiler alert /// the part on John Mayer starts at 01:02:00 of the latest podcast ... Chris Flemming says that Dumble absolutely hated John Mayer ... just could not stand him or his attitude .... ;-) ; and he also says that he was warning everyone not to ever mention John Mayer to Dumble ... otherwise Dumble would go berserk ... :D

Same with Bonamassa ...... apparently once Dumble was in a guitar centre jamming and trying some guitars, and Bonamassa comes along with his entourage and interrupts him and even physically pushes him away ... then a week later Bonamassa called Dumble to ask him to build him an amp ... you can imagine Dumble's response ... :D

Last edited:

Hefalump

Spoiler alert /// the part on John Mayer starts at 01:02:00 of the latest podcast ... Chris Flemming says that Dumble absolutely hated John Mayer ... just could not stand him or his attitude .... ;-) ; and he also says that he was warning everyone not to ever mention John Mayer to Dumble ... otherwise Dumble would go berserk ... :D

Same with Bonamassa ...... apparently once Dumble was in a guitar centre jamming and trying some guitars, and Bonamassa comes along with his entourage and interrupts him and even physically pushes him away ... then a week later Bonamassa called Dumble to ask him to build him an amp ... you can imagine Dumble's response ... :D

Wowzer

nl128

Gold Supporting Member
What's the story? Listening to this podcast is on my to do list now.
(This is a story from the podcast that’s apparently not true )

The Bonamasa story is that Dumble used to go to guitar center whenever new fender amps came out. He was a a fan of fender amps and liked to check them out when a new amp was released.

While Dumble was in the GC amp room checking out an amp he said Joe B and his whole entourage showed up and in the same amp room Joe and his buddies started blasting amps and acting like a bunch of D bags . They pretty much bullied Dumble out of the room by acting like dicks. Dumble knew who they were but they didn’t know who he was.

A few months or weeks later Joe called up Dumble asking Dumble to build him an amp. So Dumble said yea no thanks, you don’t need one of my amps.

As for Mayer he just called up Dumble with a bratty attitude and wanted him to work on his Dumble amp that he bought 2nd hand and have it back to him in a week. So Dumble said yea I don’t build that model anymore.

Dumble knew about JM copying his circuit with two rock and selling it. They said that infuriated Dumble.

Last edited:

SBlue

Silver Supporting Member
Just to clarify about the Bonamassa and Dumble meeting.
Dumble used to visit the Vintage Room at GC because he loved the way that room sounded, he loved the gear in there, he loved the people that worked there and he loved the two Vintage Dept managers, Drew and Dave(Burst Brothers).
Dumble would use that room quite often to test and to deliver his amps and mods to a lot of his clients, because he would always feel welcome there.
On one occasion, I was helping him choose a SC Les Paul Jr, using the tweed Deluxe on stage. So there was me, siting with Dumble in front of the amp, and either Eric or Brian(don't remember which one) at the counter, towards the right side of the stage, next to us.
Then Bonamassa came in, no entourage, no one else, just himself, and immediately started talking to us. Joe likes to talk about guitars, and he talks a lot about them. Not being a dick or trying to rub it in your face, but because that's his passion, and he loves to talk about them. So, that's what he did there. He talked about guitars to us.
Not long after he arrived, Dumble umplugged the Jr he was A/Bing, so he could give me that one to hold and grab the one I had ready for him. During that little break, Joe grabbed the cord and plugged an ES5 that was in the rack and started noodling. He did that for about 20 to 30 seconds and unplugged the guitar and gave me back the cord. He, most likely, didn't know we were A/Bing those Jrs for a client, and needed to hear them right after each other. And, for the multiple times Joe was at the store, while I worked there(2001 until 2011), he was always extremely nice.
Anyway, so we start with the A/Bing again, while Joe said, while starting walking to the counter "Nice sounding Jrs!", then he walks to the counter and starts talking to whoever was there(again, I don't remember if it was Eric or Brian), and tells him he just got this amazing amp, a Two Rock. The thing was so good, and he was so impressed that he wanted to try out the real deal. So, if we would ever come across a real Dumble amp, to please give him a call, because he would love to try one, and if he likes it, he would buy it from us.
At that point, we realized he had no idea that Dumble was right there, only a few feet from him, A/Bing those Jrs!!
So, Joe said goodbye to everyone, including Dumble, and left the room.
And as soon as he finished crossing the Acoustic Dept, I told Dumble "At least he didn't tell you he is friends with Howard Alexander Dumble!" and we all started laughing.
That's exactly what happened because I was there.
I was there during the John Mayer episode too. We were the ones who introduced Dumble to John Mayer, and they spend an afternoon at the Vintage Office talking and playing music.
But that's another story.

SBlue

Silver Supporting Member
Makes me wonder what his handle was here.
He wasn't here, at least until 2012. He even asked, during the late 2000s, to clarify something an amp builder said here at TGP using Dumble name that was not true. And when I tried to do it, the bamp builder went nuts and I almost got kicked from TGP. That's when Dumble asked me to leave it alone and let people believe that builder.
Reports vary.;)
They're always incorrect, to a certain degree, when told by someone who wasn't part of the story.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
They're always incorrect, to a certain degree, when told by someone who wasn't part of the story.
As has been said: Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
D*mble legend will prevail.
'We' want a reclusive, cantankerous, mad scientist whose name one dare not post for fear of legal reprisal.

I'd settle for accurate schematics.:aok

goose1441

Here's the story of Dumble meeting Mayer:

"I saw John Mayer at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly."

Hefalump

Here's the story of Dumble meeting Mayer:

"I saw John Mayer at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly."
Wasn't it snickers?

ProfRhino

with such crass, controversial stories, I would like to hear both sides of the coin, from the involved guys themselves, confirmed interviews or whatever other reliable source.

not least as "alternative facts" have been invented six years ago ... :bow . :bkw.. :facepalm

just saying, not taking sides,
Rhino

Top Bottom