Dumble and Guitar Wank

Fuchsaudio

I've really learned to love the block and ignore functions. Honestly, I simply wanted to set the record straight about the whole "domain thing", but some people refuse to let it go, and plus, they insist on harassment based on (incorrect) internet posts, conjecture, and rewritten stories. Thanks to all for the kind words and support.

Fuchsaudio

never met the man, “learning about business”, perhaps he understood “business” and wished to create his own version. a valid choice…

This is true. Honestly, he was a riddle wrapped in an enigma. He wanted to be a sovereign citizen, not be a company, just be an eclectic, reclusive craftsman and artiste. All valid and admirable. The big problem is you can't be "almost pregnant". His insistence on being what he was, precluded him from opportunities to design for PRS, Fender and likely others. The podcast confirmed that Fender basically couldn't pay a guy who didn't have a bank account or means to be paid, outside of horse trades and gold. He may not have wanted that truthfully, the more I learn. His wish for his legacy to not be continued is an interesting footnote to his legacy. I've heard stories about "the estate going after violators" etc. I've seen none of that, and heard none of that.

Honestly, had he treated his followers better, perhaps he could have been more successful and not been the catalyst for all the people who built the many clones or inspired products out there. All the stories of players who left the D-camp for other builders, took him to court, dumped amps in his driveway, are proof he himself made and fertilized the cottage industry that sprouted up.

It's interesting how different Ken Fisher was about his stuff. I spoke to him a few times and he was encouraging and open about his stuff. "You're a smart guy, you can do it, you don't need me". I asked for his help or paid involvement and he was "too tired" and was committed to an agreement with Komet anyway.

Santana gave PRSh his phone number. Paul called and basically said "I wanna make you a millionaire". Howard hung up. Paul called back and said "I think we were disconnected". Dumble said "no we weren't"...click. At that point Paul called Carlo's (who once said to me "Dumble isn't happy unless he's miserable, I pray for him every day"). Then Paul called me, Matt Garcia and Doug Sewell, which is a story for another day or a chapter in my book. lol

Last edited:

JPH118

Silver Supporting Member
Honestly, it would appear that britishpedalcompany.com has topped any and all things D*mble that I (or anyone else has been accused-of) at this point.

Honourable gents: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...pykXkXuZg1myKlJVZi2RubebME0a9f-6e8L7T9ZxSqlWc

"I got nothin'"....AND: There's a claim on social media that he's authorized to use the name...

You can't make this stuff up, seriously. I'm just amazed, and then, I'm not...

View attachment 596396

I shared this in another thread, as I found it quite appalling, but nobody seems to be making a big deal out of it… weird.

BPC claims to have permission to use his name in Europe, but still waited til after he passed to announce it. From everything I’ve learned about HAD over the years, I can’t honestly believe that for a moment.
Combine that with the actual legitimate criminal history of the men behind BPC, and it’s even less believable (search Music Ground UK).

Fuchsaudio

I shared this in another thread, as I found it quite appalling, but nobody seems to be making a big deal out of it… weird.

BPC claims to have permission to use his name in Europe, but still waited til after he passed to announce it. From everything I’ve learned about HAD over the years, I can’t honestly believe that for a moment.
Combine that with the actual legitimate criminal history of the men behind BPC, and it’s even less believable (search Music Ground UK).

Totally agreed...It smells all the way across the pond....and yet....I'm not gonna even say it...

n4p226r

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting. I really misjudged HAD, until I started learning much of the inside skinny on how he operated and his principles. Robben alluded (in his Guitar Wank segment) that HAD didn't eat, so he could find and purchase some kind of rare parts he needed for a build. Clearly not money-driven...his inability to work with Fender or PRS because there was really no way to pay him, that's bizarre for sure. The TR guys also apparently, somehow, paid-off a drum tech to sneak out Carlo's ODSR under the cover of darkness from a storage locker for reverse engineering, thus cementing Carlo's never playing a TR (allegedly...lol). It's similarly weird that Larry Carlton's tech turned me down when I asked if I could send or bring an amp to a gig and he said "his longstanding relationship with Dumble would make that unlikely...". And-yet, he later hopped on Bludotone team right-quick (word was Dumble was too busy to fix his amps). Guess LC too burned the bridge. Robben's Dumble was (may still be) at Gramatico's shop (before Dumble passed fwiw), and now Gramatico makes an insanely expensive D-clone....I'm somehow evil though...gotta love this business. I should write a book.

I dont follow the whole Dumble clone thing, but arent yours PCB based? I mean that alone would make them further from a clone than lots of other brands.

Fuchsaudio

I dont follow the whole Dumble clone thing, but arent yours PCB based? I mean that alone would make them further from a clone than lots of other brands.

More circuit differences than similarities (yet there are uninformed people saying their "clones": wrong). And yes, those darn evil PC boards.... lol
I would take a cleanly executed, serviceable PCB amp, over a poorly executed PTP mess any day of the week.

aquanaut

I'm not one to report people ... but just registered aquanaut.com. ;)

There were a group of divers who were members of that site but I think it ran out of interest years ago.
Make it work,
I'll join.

1653145434806.png

aquanaut

They stopped diving during COVID because they were anti-maskers, and that doesn't translate well 10 meters down. :cool:
When I was getting certified, one of the things they had you do is go down to 30 meters (100 ft), take off all your gear including air tanks, fins, mask, weight belt and leave it on the bottom. Then you "blow and go to the top". You'd be surprised how many students couldn't do it or panicked when they did. I had to help restrain a couple of divers who would have died had they shot to the surface without exhaling.

Jeffw5555

Gold Supporting Member
I just read all 23 pages of this. To save others the time, the first few pages are dripping with adulation and mystique, and chocked full of abject bull**** like "the quality of Dumbles solder materials and techniques are what contribute to the unobtainable sound" Seriously? Then later on in this thread, it degenerates into sniping about various clones and business practices. I don't get it. Dumble amps to me are nothing special. I cannot point to the recorded work of the countless pros that have used them, and either say that I can tell they are using a Dumble on a particular work, or that any particular song was improved by the use of a Dumble. Robben Ford is great. He could play thru an old Pignose, and it would sound like Robben, and sound great. He doesn't need a Dumble.

I did try out a Fuchs ODS. I really liked it. I didn't even know it was a clone. Would I lust for a "real Dumble" instead of it? Gawd no.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I just read all 23 pages of this. To save others the time, the first few pages are dripping with adulation and mystique, and chocked full of abject bull**** like "the quality of Dumbles solder materials and techniques are what contribute to the unobtainable sound" Seriously? Then later on in this thread, it degenerates into sniping about various clones and business practices. I don't get it. Dumble amps to me are nothing special. I cannot point to the recorded work of the countless pros that have used them, and either say that I can tell they are using a Dumble on a particular work, or that any particular song was improved by the use of a Dumble. Robben Ford is great. He could play thru an old Pignose, and it would sound like Robben, and sound great. He doesn't need a Dumble.

I did try out a Fuchs ODS. I really liked it. I didn't even know it was a clone. Would I lust for a "real Dumble" instead of it? Gawd no.

You laughed, you cried … but, was it better than Cats?

(The musical, not the animal)

If you’re old and grew up 200 miles from Toronto, you’ll get the reference.

Last edited:

n4p226r

Silver Supporting Member
More circuit differences than similarities (yet there are uninformed people saying their "clones": wrong). And yes, those darn evil PC boards.... lol
I would take a cleanly executed, serviceable PCB amp, over a poorly executed PTP mess any day of the week.
have you ever serviced a dual rectifier? I have one from 1992 that I should probably have checked out

Jeffw5555

Gold Supporting Member
You laughed, you cried … but, was it was better than Cats?

(The musical, not the animal)

If you’re old and grew up 200 miles from Toronto, you’ll get the reference.
Well, I did live 100 miles from Toronto for many years, DID see Cats in Toronto (and in London, and Munich) since my oldest daughter loved the musical, but fail to totally grasp what you are talking about. But did become a lifelong Hip fan in the process. (who can live near Toronto and NOT love the Hip?)

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Well, I did live 100 miles from Toronto for many years, DID see Cats in Toronto (and in London, and Munich) since my oldest daughter loved the musical, but fail to totally grasp what you are talking about. But did become a lifelong Hip fan in the process. (who can live near Toronto and NOT love the Hip?)

In the late ‘80s, it was an ad for the musical Phantom. People walking out were quoted, and that became a popular quote, whenever one was critiquing something.

AintNoEddie

Uhm yeah, carry on... Thanks for your summary. :hide

CowTipton

I've been listening to these episodes of GuitarWank over the last few days. Interesting stuff.
Some funny stories. Dumble was certainly an eccentric personality.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom