Dumble clones & lower volumes...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Cobra, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

I'm really curious how well the various ODS clones available do lower volumes in different applications? Are the masters configured so you can get small club & home use, down to late-night bedroom levels, or do the really need to be opened up & get the power tubes & trannies working to sound their best?
    I've never played any of these amps, but love the dynamics & bloom in clips & recordings I've heard. I would need excellent sounding low volume capabilites for me to consider this style of amp...
    I have no interest in this thread becoming a platform for bashing or flaming, or another one of those threads that turns into free-for-all bruhaha where the mods step in & folks get banned.
    Opinions are great, but let's keep it civil, OK?
    I'd just like some accurate information from those with experience playing & gigging these amps.
    Thanks!

2. lv

lv Supporting Member

My Glaswerks has a great master - no problem getting tones at low volumes.

3. Ipressthebutton

Ipressthebutton Member

Does anyone have experience with a d-style amp with 6V6s? I would be interested in how these compare to the 50 or 100 watt versions. I'm on the Glaswerks waiting list and I'm considering going with a 25 watt 1X12 combo. I think I still have about a year and a half to wait so I've got some time to think about it.

Would the Two Rock Jet be considered a d-style amp?

4. m3g

m3g Member

How about a Fuchs ods 30, which can take 6V6's or 6L6's, cathode biased. Great amp. You should still get the Glaswerks too!!

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Ditto.

That, in fact, has been part of the appeal for me. I've played several D-clones, and two "real ones", and have owned both a Two Rock Topaz and my current Glaswerks... What they've all had in common is the ability to deliver great sound at a variety of usable volume levels, which is essential for me, as I play a fair amount of low-volume gigs in restaurants and bars...

6. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    Of the D-style amps, I've only played a Fuchs ODS 50 (owned it about 2 years, still have). Good tone at low volumes is essential for me. The amp delivers, and keeps it's dynamic response.

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

Dave,

Whatcha think so far?

Lou

8. doveman

doveman Member

The D'Lite 22/33 is not a problem at very low volumes ... I can record at bedroom levels with the master at 8:00. Granted you can get a bit more when it's turned up a bit but I'm totally satisfied for bedroom to jam session. Real flexible ...

9. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

So far, so good. Only gigged it once so far, and in an outdoor setting -- not the best place to really evaluate it, you know...? But it sounded great, I thought, and gave me that sparkly-whiskery top end of a Super just at the point of break-up, AND the tight bottom end of a Twin. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for. And that's just in the clean channel!

I am gigging it again this evening -- indoors, in a very lively room, at a museum benefit -- and will get a chance to put it through its paces in a different environment. Looking forward to it, that's for sure. ;)

10. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I've got a Two Rock Jet head. It runs on both 6L6's and 6V6's. . .I've only played it with the 6L6's and I can get great tone at loud and not so loud volumes. Now, I've never really tried to get great OD at talking level, and I'm not really sure that it can do that, but it'll sound great at low volumes.

11. M Hossa

M Hossa Member

Dumble thread:
    :moon:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon :moon
    (only 18 arses allowed, which is easily not enough!)

12. doveman

doveman Member

I think your post was the first time Dumble was mentioned specifically ... congrats :jo

13. M Hossa

M Hossa Member

Thanks! No more beer for me, sorry.
    :banana

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  14. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

ceriatone ots also sounds great at lower volumes

15. Bigtone

Bigtone Member

For something a little darker, look at Carol Ann, Nice master volumn, that sounds a little chunkier, with a little marshall thrown in, Still in the dumble vein, Bigtone

16. trap

trap Supporting Member

the jet is a d style amp.

17. doveman

doveman Member

The D'Lite 22/33 that I have runs 6V6 & 6L6 type tubes via a switch and a transformer built to do both: I have run:

• 6V6 @ 22 watts (softer feel)
    • 6L6 @ 33 watts (more head room and tighter)
    • 5881 @ 25 watts (in between and my favorite with Tung Sols on 6L6 setting)
    I'm run it with a 1x12 open back G-1265 Celestion, or 2x10 sealed Emi 105 cab ... but I like running them both in parallel. The amp can be run 4 ohm, 8 ohm or 16 ohm.

Very flexible ... lots of different sounds.

Edit: To answer the original question, I ran a 60w/100w Boogie for 30 years and it was tough to get low enough. I used 60w most of the time on stage with 1x12 EVM. The 33w 1x12 will be louder than you think ... even the 22w 6V6 version is pretty loud. I always mic'd the cab when performing ... so any of these 3 would work well. If you are playing without mic'ing, there will probably be sometimes that there's not enough headroom. But if you mic it when performing, no problem. A 50w amp is not really twice as loud as a 25w amp ... you'd think it would be.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  18. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

"The ability to asymmetrically control valve lift causes the charge air to flow into the combustion chamber spirally and cylindrically, also known as “drumble”."

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080626.005/audi-variable-valvelift-system-in-detail

19. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

My Fuchs ODS 50 is really great at lower volumes but of course always sounds better turned up a bit. I have a feeling a big part of that just the speaker. Anyhow, the ODS is the best tube amp I've owned for consistent tone at any level.