Dumble?? Hmmmmmm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cr8z4life, Aug 2, 2008.

1. doctord02

doctord02 Member

and your point is?

2. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Actually dont have one.......just wondered what others here thought of it and know there are alot of dumble lovers here on the forum and maybe someone would be interested........

3. realityczech

realityczech Senior Member

Oh what the heck lets clone it!

4. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Shows up as a Div13 for me..

5. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Also just realized I initially attached the wrong pic....sorry!!

Check link now

6. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

I got a larf reading the questions to the seller, which is in fact the main reason I scan Dumble threads -for all the larfs.

7. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

There was already a thread on this. I think Dumble himself will mod a bassman for you for less... say 5k.

8. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Check out the last Dumble thread. One member has it on good authority that Dumble has retired from amps. So, no, he won't mod anyone's Bassman. This amp was on eBay a few months ago.

9. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Dumble DID mod a number of Bandmaster amps in the early 2000's, and occasionally one comes up for sale in LA. There's one at Harbor Music in Torrance now.

I don't think Dumble has announced he's retired for all time - but he has taken many 'breaks' in building amps through the years due to health issues. He certainly seems on be on a break now. I don't think he was charging that much for these mods to Bandmasters - you see 'em for sale in the 2K range.

Thanks, Dana O.

10. Mike

Mike Member

I just read the answer to the auction question about authenticity, and discovered that Jack Smith passed away a couple of months ago. What a sweet guy he was. He lived a couple of blocks away from me, he he did indeed go "all the way" back to the beginning of Dumbles amp building in Bakersfield, and later here in Santa Cruz.

RIP Jack, you made a huge impression on me.

Mike

11. ~el gringo loco

~el gringo loco Member

I know he used to sell Bassman and Showman mods out of Bill Asher's shop in Santa Monica for something like $400 in late '99. I was literally ready to hand my 6G6-B Bassman over until I heard one of his modded amps at a gig one of the guys who worked there did, and it sounded almost exactly like my 6G6 -- so much so that a friend of mine who played bass mentioned it.

I'm kicking myself now for not scaring up a Showman -- I think those were $600 to mod cause of the quad of power tubes -- just for kicks, but man, I was foolish . . .

So yeah, it makes sense that there are a number of those amps around LA; what an opportunity missed!

~j

12. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, haven't heard that one before.

13. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

There was a guy who worked at Bill Asher's place, Danny Dugan, who got one of the Dumble modded Bandmasters. Dan supplied the amp, HAD did the modding. It sounded great - NOT an ODS, but a much better Bandmaster. Danny later worked at West LA Music.

Danny lives in New Orleans now. I saw him at NAMM demoing Dan Electro guitars and fx. The pricing you mention sounds about right to me - I remember $800, but something like that.

Dana O.

14. daddyo

daddyo Guest

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=413539&page=3

Post #44