Dumble, Marshall, or Tweed AIAB for Blackface Fender Amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Prince, Feb 5, 2017.

What AIAB type pairs well with a Blackface Fender amp?

Poll closed Mar 19, 2017.
  1. Dumble AIAB

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Marshall AIAB

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. Tweed AIAB

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. Other (please explain)

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

I am looking to get an Amp In A Box (AIAB) pedal to act as the second channel for my '65 PRRI. This will serve as a foundation for my other drive pedals: Timmy, Gain Changer, BlackBox 2, & Scarab Deluxe. After too much research on several past "best ___ AIAB pedal" threads, I've made a list tallying the results. Listed below are my top picks from those lists of what I am most interested in.

I am booting my '88 Rat II aside to my small board to make room for the new AIAB. 1 of the 3 other ODs will also be following suit. I am looking for a low-mid gain light OD/crunch tone that stacks well with others. My general thoughts and observations are that the three AIAB that work best for clean Blackface Fenders are Dumbles, Marshalls, & Tweeds:
    -Tweeds are a natural extension of the blackface tone, as they are siblings.
    -Dumbles are like hot rodded Fenders and thus work well.
    -Marshalls, cause well Marshalls are the sound of crunch!

Thus, for y'all wise and learned elders of TGP who have vastly more experience (and bigger budgets) than myself: what AIAB (amp type and/or specific pedal) have you found to function best with Fender Blackface amps?

Dumble

Votes - Brand - Pedal
    35 - Hermida - Zen Drive*
    19 - Mad Professor - Simble
    18 - Rockett - The Dude*
    14 - Wampler - Euphoria/Ecstacy

Marshall

Votes - Brand - Pedal
    20 - Ramble FX - Marvel*
    13 - Catalainbread - DLS v3
    13 - Wampler - Plexi-Drive*
    10 - Rockett - .45 Caliber*
    8 - Weehbo - JCM Drive (LTD.)
    7 - Bogner - La Grange*
    7 - Keeley - 1962 (x)
    5 - Friedman - BE-OD

Tweed

Votes - Brand - Pedal
    28 - Wampler - Tweed '57*
    19 - Catalinbread - Formula #5 (#55)*
    17 - Bearfoot - Honey Bee*
    12 - Catalinbread Formula - 5F6
    10 - Greer - Ghetto Stomp
    5 - Bearfoot - SYOD

* = current top contenders

2. ducker 1

ducker 1 Member

wut? No Jetter?

rizla likes this.
  3. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

Tweed..

Wat, no Les Lius?
    No 5E3 Deluxe?
    No High Powered Tweed Twin?

[​IMG]

amdowell and LordByron like this.
  4. slowth

slowth Member

Cranked the gain on my Greer Little Samson today.
    Awesome drive.

ogguitar likes this.
  5. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I have paired a Van Weelden Royal Overdrive with my Fender Michael Landau Hot Rod Deville. Using a PRS DGT.

Oh my. So Nice!

:)

6. JohnnyBGoode

JohnnyBGoode Member

I don't like how Blackface amps handle Marshally gain pedals - crunchy, hairy, crispy or whatever you call them... doesn't sound right, maybe it's the amp's design or speakers, IDK.

I like BF amps with smoother pedals, Tube Screamer (of course) and warm fuzzes... so while I haven't played a Dumble AIAB and only played a Les Lius clone (is it an AIAB?) - my bet is on Dumble or Tweed.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  7. bertramladner

bertramladner Supporting Member

I currently have a Bearfoot Model G which is like a tweed. It’s a 5 watt Gibson, but the 4 knobs makes it very versatile. I also have a Hermida Zendrive and a Jetter Gold Standard which is a double pedal with a boost and a Dumble/Marshal switch. I think the Jetter sounds almost exactly like the Zendrive on certain settings but Zendrive just sounds better. I think the Model G goes great with my Super Reverb and my BlackFace voiced Top Hat. It does lots of OD types. Liked it better than the Les Lius and it is very similar to the Honey Bee. Zen Drive can get more Modern, Model G can get more vintage. That’s the decider to me.

8. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

I personally think that some AIAB pedals feed perfectly into BF amps. I may be wrong, but 8t almost seems as if many were designed to go in front of BF amps. Catalinbread certainly seems to do most of their demos into BF amps.

I was messing around last week with my Allen Encore (based on a BF Vibrolux).
    Guitar --> compressor --> Lovepedal Red Zen --> (bunch of different ODs tried out) --> chorus --> Catalinbread DLS --> delay --> Encode

The DLS towards the end of the chain with very little gain made it sound and feel like a Marshall.

The Red Zen up front just blended PERFECTLY with both the amp and the DLS.

9. JK1965

JK1965 Silver Supporting Member

I run a Tweed 57 and a Plexi Drive into the normal channel of a LE DRRI. I use an A/B switch so I can go from the effects chain to the vibrato channel for Fender cleans. If choosing one I personally would go Tweed 57. This pedal works great with these amps. It's adds that Tweed grind and there is a lot of tonal options in the thing.

10. vintagelove

vintagelove Member

For lead tones I would give an old tube driver a go. Be sure to keep the treble at zero. It really loves my old SR.

Best,

11. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

12. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides! Supporting Member

An eastbound man, in a westbound lane (ATL)
    Lovepedal 5e3 Deluxe. Done.

coltonius likes this.
  13. calfzilla

calfzilla Cynical Hack

No Purple Plexi? No Church of Tone? Sacrilege.

But... Might I suggest... Lovepedal Champ for your tweed tones, for one specific reason. Pretty much cuts out the bass. Might keep things from flubbing out when you start stacking other boosts/ods.

LordByron likes this.
  14. ducker 1

ducker 1 Member

I use a Jetter GS124 in the clean side of my Peavey Preamp into Mosvalve PwrAmp (home practice rig) then I use an old Daddyo to boost it--overdrive at 10 o clock EQs straight up and Vol at about 2 to 3--Ho Le Moly--JMP on steroids!!!-turn the guitar vol down a notch or two and your on the Highway to Hell!! Point being that the Jetter works very much like an amp driven by OD pedals.--if you are really looking for thee DUMBLE thang--1 word-- Dumbleoid

15. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

Here are the master lists that I compiled. The pedals I referenced in the OP are a reflection of three things I find attractive: 1) Price*, 2) Votes, & 3) Features.

*Price is related to availability as some of these products are no longer in current production.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  16. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

FWIW I have a '65 PR and there's 2 pedals I use that I quite like with it. A red Zendrive and the KoT.

17. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

The votes for the two Barber pedals in the Dumble list should probably be combined. The Small Fry and the Burn Unit are the same basic circuit, one is a single channel device, the other a dual channel.

18. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

Noted and corrected :)

19. Memphistokid

Memphistokid Member

I have a blackfaced Super Reverb that started me on my Wampler tweed 57, Plexidrive Deluxe, and Euphoria. With single coils and your requirements the Tweed 57 is tough to beat. It stacks well and is great for rythmn.

For humbuckers I love stacking my Plexidrive Deluxe with a fuzz type pedal, and for straight up lead i love using the Euphoria. With the Zendrive not far away.

Tom Gross likes this.