• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Dumble ODS in a pedal..is there such a thing?

RichSZ

Gold Supporting Member
OK, before anyone goes wacko on this thread, I'm just looking for a nice pedal that can get me some of those famouse Dumble tones. Robben Ford type stuff or some of the more known Dumble tones.

Let me also say I can't afford a real Dumble amp, I can't build a clone, and I don't want to buy a new amp. I just want a pedal to go into my /13 FTR 37 and get me something close.

I've done a search and the Zendrive seems to be a popular one. This thing is hard to get, so what else is out there? I'd love to hear all your suggestions.

I've also heard of the Rumble Mod or something called a Stampede (??) but don't know anything about either one.

Thanks for any suggestions!

-Rich

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
Find a used Menatone Howie- there are two versions, both are dumbles in a box.

The Zendrive is the more easily found one though.

scottl

Played the Howie and it doesn't come close to the Zen (which I have and LOVE) for an authentic amplike D tone.

whoismarykelly said:
Find a used Menatone Howie- there are two versions, both are dumbles in a box.

The Zendrive is the more easily found one though.

LVC

I will let the Zen crowd chime in -- great pedal --

Honestly -- first thing is the amp -- I know I know -- you do not want to go down that road -- but either a good fender twin (with a nice pedal like a zen) will get you there. For few more bucks -- a Fuchs amp will get you there stat - no pedals required.

A pedal that is more accessible than the Zen Drive (and one of my personal favorites) is the Timmy --- do a search you will find many references to timmy on this thread. Fairly easy to EQ in Fordish type colors and very reasonable with respect to costs.

The following pedals will give you studio quality Robben type of colors but be prepared to pay big dollars

1) Analogman King of Tone
2) Landgraff OD

People on this board have spent mucho dinero chasing tone (Larry Carlton, Robben Ford etc) -- I know I have.... and at the end all you are doing is buying "color" which is not a bad thing.

Tone (not color) comes from your fingers and your heart. You can tie a string to the side of a house and if Robben plays it --- guess what -- it will sound like Robben Ford.

I think what I finally realized is that I want to play through equipment that
1) I feel comfortable with
2) that brings out the best in me
3) Lets me project my voice/tone

Hopefully with this approach someday someone standing outside a club might say

"...hey that sounds like so and so on guitar -- didn't know he was playing tonight....."

scottl

True enough, but I have a room full of Fuchs amps and my Glaswerks amp, and the only pedal that remotely comes close (but not that close) to the amp OD and "feel" is the Zen. I have had a Timmy here. The Howie, the Rumble Mod, the OCD, many others....... Only the Zen gets in the zone for me. I can still get great tones from the others, but they are not as complex or growly, and seem more 2D.

Very true about tone being in the fingers!

LVC said:
I will let the Zen crowd chime in -- great pedal -- had it -- sold it. ... and Robben uses it.

Honestly -- first thing is the amp -- I know I know -- you do not want to go down that road -- but either a good fender twin (with a nice pedal like a zen) will get you there. For few more bucks -- a Fuchs amp will get you there stat - no pedals required.

A pedal that is more accessible than the Zen Drive (and one of my personal favorites) is the Timmy --- do a search you will find many references to timmy on this thread. Fairly easy to EQ in Fordish type colors and very reasonable with respect to costs.

The following pedals will give you studio quality Robben type of colors but be prepared to pay big dollars

1) Analogman King of Tone
2) Landgraff OD

People on this board have spent mucho dinero chasing tone (Larry Carlton, Robben Ford etc) -- I know I have.... and at the end all you are doing is buying "color" which is not a bad thing.

Tone (not color) comes from your fingers and your heart. You can tie a string to the side of a house and if Robben plays it --- guess what -- it will sound like Robben Ford.

I think what I finally realized is that I want to play through equipment that
1) I feel comfortable with
2) that brings out the best in me
3) Lets me project my voice/tone

Hopefully with this approach someday someone standing outside a club might say

"...hey that sounds like so and so on guitar -- didn't know he was playing tonight....."

I have a friend who has the Landgraff pedal and he went and bought a low-gain EmPro by Two-Rock...Nice post LVC,cuts to the tone being in the fingers...one you forgot Dave Barber builds the Direct Drive SS which can do that color to a point as well,

G

GearOnTheBrain

I would suggest you wait until the end of the year or so when the new version of the Menatone Howie will come out.
I think Brian said it will come out around December or January.
I spoke with him about a month or two ago, and he was telling me how it's going to have BOTH channels of the Overdrive Special in the pedal.
He ALSO is going to include a toggle switch that will let you switch between the early dumble EQ, tone (which most people prefer) and the later "Skyline" EQ tone.
It sounds like it's gonna be great.
Brian seems to really know the amps well, he's worked on tons of them.
Im really looking foward to the release of that pedal. :AOK

Luke

menatone

scottl said:
Played the Howie and it doesn't come close to the Zen (which I have and LOVE) for an authentic amplike D tone.

why is it that people who claim my Howie doesn't sound like a Dumble
have never played through a Dumble. I have played through and worked on a few of the real things and the Fuchs amps are not the same.

brian
menatone

jokerjkny

funny,

but at scottL's a few years back, he tried my howie, and at the time, it definitely was the winner outta a few other boutiquey pedals.

but cmon, bri, no need for that. ;)

G

GearOnTheBrain

lol....

Brian, maybe you should have bitten your tongue with this one. :worried

Luke

menatone

jokerjkny said:
funny,

but at scottL's a few years back, he tried my howie, and at the time, it definitely was the winner outta a few other boutiquey pedals.

but cmon, bri, no need for that. ;)

no need for that, take a look at this dudes previous posts, the guy attacks my pedal every chance he gets. i have never said a word, before.

brian
menatone

Platypus

not in rivers, but in drops
Silver Supporting Member
Would you guys run something like a Howie or Zendrive into a clean amp ?

jokerjkny

Platypus said:
Would you guys run something like a Howie or Zendrive into a clean amp ?
yea,

i do it all the time w/ my howie, which i think is a terrific pedal in that mumble tone.

and honestly, bri, he's only one guy, out of the many many who really dig your work.

menatone

i am just amazed at how many people who talk about a particular amps
tone on these forums have never actually been in the same room with the
amps let alone played one.

i in no way am upset about a recommendation for a zendrive. i played one
at Namm last year and thought it was a very cool pedal and totally different from my Howie. Mr. Hermida introduced himself to me and even
asked me to tell him what i thought of it. this is not a response regarding Hermida Audio or its owner whos
work i completely respect.

brian
menatone

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Originally Posted by menatone: why is it that people who claim my Howie doesn't sound like a Dumble
have never played through a Dumble. I have played through and worked on a few of the real things and the Fuchs amps are not the same.

menatone said:
no need for that, take a look at this dudes previous posts, the guy attacks my pedal every chance he gets. i have never said a word, before.

brian
menatone
This is a forum for sharing one's opinions is it not? Scott prefers pedal x over pedal y, what's the big deal? It's your opinion that Fuchs amps don't sound like Dumble amps. One thing is for sure, Scott is an excellent musician and killer guitarist or least that's my opinion.

TimH

Silver Supporting Member
Very coo sounding pedal! And the boost is a plus! Can the Howie do the raspier Dumble sounds...like the kind on John Mayer's Continuum record? Big and fat and a bit glassy?

analogmike

Platinum Supporting Member
I dont want to comment on the pedals here but I think Scott Lerner took this picture of me with Jim Weider and Mr. Fuchs and there appears to be a Dumble amp in the picture, which we tested well.

p.s. the answer to the question posted in this thread will be different in a few months ;)

Trending Topics