• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

dumble on daily show

Lespaulsignature 74

Gold Supporting Member
I don't understand what all the fuss is over Ben Harper, I saw him on Austin City Limits and I was very underwhelmed! Am I missing somethig?

kimock

I don't understand what all the fuss is over Ben Harper, I saw him on Austin City Limits and I was very underwhelmed! Am I missing somethig?
Well, if you saw him and you missed it, and the answer is no, does that mean that if I saw him and I got it, that I must have missed something?:idea

Willie

i thought lindley had sold one or two to harper, it looked 70s-80s; at any rate it was great to see and hear such tones on TDS !

Timmo

Silver Supporting Member
Missed this show but have seen him on a couple of occasions with his Dumble and his tone ALWAYS leaves me cold.........

Dumble or not I can get that tone spending alot less cash.
:roll

I really don't 'get him' either but hey, that's me.

Steve_2020

Missed this show but have seen him on a couple of occasions with his Dumble and his tone ALWAYS leaves me cold.........

Dumble or not I can get that tone spending alot less cash.
:roll

I really don't 'get him' either but hey, that's me.
There was an article in GP last year when he was doing press for his new band and album. Harper gives a rundown of all his Dumbles (4 or so) and mentions the one he bought from Lindley.

iirc, at that point he had one he was using mainly live- which had a lead/boost mod done by Dumble. It may have been made for him, can't remember.

I think the others were all purchased from others and he favored one in particular for most of the last album, though he played two or three on that record.

I too don't get Ben much. I like him best when he's doing something besides his own stuff, such as duetting with the sugarland singer on the Bruce segment of the Kennedy Honors recently. Or his vocal guest spot on the "Standing In the Shadows Of Motown" dvd from several years back, where he sings with the Funk Brothers.

This being said, I've never seen a full concert from him live and know a bunch of younger folks who like him. Folks that aren't looking for ripping slide, mostly mellow stuff. These folks tend to like Jack Johnson too...fwiw.

Timmo

Silver Supporting Member
This is interesting to me IF true.
Harper owns Lindley's old Dumble?

Then something is askew.

I always LOVED Lindley's Dumble tone but Harper's tone is like 'fingernails on a chalkboard' to me.

Proof once again that "tone" is indeed in the fingers.

Now, my question is

IS "TONE" in the SLIDE as well ?
I mean wow, what a difference.
Same amp completely different tones........

:dunno

kimock

This is interesting to me IF true.
Harper owns Lindley's old Dumble?

Then something is askew.

I always LOVED Lindley's Dumble tone but Harper's tone is like 'fingernails on a chalkboard' to me.

Proof once again that "tone" is indeed in the fingers.

Now, my question is

IS "TONE" in the SLIDE as well ?

In Lindley's case for the electric stuff, yes.
That old Stevens bar he used was the farthest thing from clean I ever saw.
It was grooved, pitted, dinged, and crosshatched across the entire playing surface.
Whenever he did his vibrato it acted like a bow, scraping, stick-slip etc.
Keeps the bar located on the string differently with that friction too.

Most guys would say that bar had "bad tone".
Nope!:aok

Timmo

Silver Supporting Member
It was grooved, pitted, dinged, and crosshatched across the entire playing surface.

Thanks Kimock.

That's 'cool stuff'.............Wow!

:aok

Timmo

Silver Supporting Member
yep lindley sounds great thru his jc120
My brother saw Lindley in a small club a few years back and he was playing a JC120 and he told me it was good BUT it WASN'T quite his signature Dumble tone.

"Gear" does make a difference...........how much is what varies.

kimock

I mean wow, what a difference.
Same amp completely different tones........

Very different guitars too, but the biggest diff in the sound overall, player notwithstanding would probably be the tuning.
I've seen Ben a couple of times, and been on the bill with him, and he's more of a low tuning guy.
I didn't see the bit in question but he was more likely in D than the Mr Dave standard F.
That's a huge difference sound and tension wise, it's another register really, up or down a minor third. E up to G, or E down to C#, think of it like that.
That would be a whole different sound with a bunch of gain right there, huh?

Anybody catch the Key?

les

Platinum Supporting Member

Totally off topic, didn't one of your Dumble's belong to Terry Haggerty?

kimock

My brother saw Lindley in a small club a few years back and he was playing a JC120 and he told me it was good BUT it WASN'T quite his signature Dumble tone.

"Gear" does make a difference...........how much is what varies.
The attraction with the JC120 was the speakers. Mr. Dave said they reminded him of the old Jensens.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
Ben Harper can be soulful when he slows it down a bit but his hard rock lap steel sound just doesn't do it for me. Not in Lindley's league, that's for sure. I just bought a couple of Lindley CDs and the sound of his lap steel through his Dumble (not sure if was an ODS or SSS) makes me weak in the knees.

parker

I just bought a couple of Lindley CDs and the sound of his lap steel through his Dumble (not sure if was an ODS or SSS) makes me weak in the knees.

It's a sound I can't get enough of, his El-Rayo X stuff is incredible...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom