1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Dumble on Ebay with Pictures

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by CarlH, Sep 19, 2006.

1. CarlH

CarlH Member

2. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Likely an ultralinear output ala David Hafler (which is where the SUNN amps came from too). The original SUNN amps were just repackaged Dynacos.

I bet it has a real clean powerful sound. But, maybe I would refurb an old SUnn to get about the same thing at about 1/20 the cost?

3. CarlH

CarlH Member

Unless I had more money than I knew what to do with, I would never pay that kind of money for an amp. I just thought it was interesting how simple looking the circuit is in the amp. Not that many parts for $20,000.

4. Strat

Strat Member

$1000.00 for parts, $19,000.00 for knwing where to put them I guess....

5. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

at least this auction isnt fake...that seller is pretty reputable...

6. bob-i

bob-i Member

I see this all the time, completley false. Dumble doesn't get a nickle from used amp sales. His new amps were actually not out of line for a boutique amp. The 100 watt ODS in the 90's went for $2135, not at all out of line for a boutique amp.

These used prices are so far out of whack. I can't imagine why you'd want to pay these prices when so many folks are building excellent quality clones. Fuchs get about $2500 for a 100 watt ODS today, complete with warranty.

7. Sammy

Sammy Member

More like $500 for all the parts and the seller getting a handsome profit of $19,500 for just having am old amp built by Dumble!

I am no amp builder, but there doesn't appear to be much in it and would suspect most of the quality amp builders could build an identical amp, with a better looking cab for $1,500. I could maybe understand if Clapton or someone had used that actual amp on gigs, but hey Dumble ain't no superstar! No doubt Dumble worshippers will let me know otherwise!

8. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

just curious whats so great about a dumble amp. With so many great ones out there it gotta be hype like a lot of other guitars and equipment.
    just my opinion

9. corazon

corazon Member

The P.T.Barnum with his famous quote "A sucker is born every minute..." ? ;)

Bart

10. Fretts

Fretts Member

11. Sammy

Sammy Member

12. Blindspot

Blindspot Member

13. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Henry Ford had to pay a lot of money to have the engineer flip that switch.

14. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

People are paying for "provenance".

Provenance = rarity x hype

15. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

The only amp I would pay 20 grand for if I had 20 grand to blow would be EVH's original magic marshall. Now that amp sounds like a million bucks...:D I don't whats more overpriced those Dumbles or the Trainwrecks?

16. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Why do that?

Just have Doug build you one. He's been through it and serviced
    a lot of EVHs stuff. http://roccaforteamps.com/

Or pop doug a PM he frequents the Amps and Cabs forum a lot.

17. matte

matte Senior Member

how many posters on this thread have actually owned or played a dumble or a trainwreck?

18. CarlH

CarlH Member

I have never owned or played a dumble or trainwreck, but I have also never heard any recording done with either one of those amps that sounded any better than a good vintage Fender, Marshall, or Vox amp. That is the proof in the pudding for me. That goes for any other amp as well.

19. matte

matte Senior Member

so, you form an opinion based entirely on conjecture/hearsay/etc?

sounds like an issue of application. i've never played through/recorded with "a good vintage Fender, Marshall, or Vox amp" that has as much ass as an uberschall and ultra lead or deliverance, for "better" or worse.

20. bob-i

bob-i Member

Personally I like the Dumble engineering. He did some unique things to the amps back then, like placing the overdrive after the normal instead of the other way around. I like the way they're sensitive to touch, and the grainy texture of the tone. But I have to agree with this assessment. A great musician when quality equipment can produce some great tone without Dumble's magic fingers.

I've also built 7 Dumble like amps and never spent more than $700 for parts on any of them, one I built from an old Peavey VTX chassis, total cost was under $200. Fuchs has made some excellent Dumble like amps for around $2500, reasonable, reliable and they sound great.

Again.... why would anyone want to spend $20,000 for one of Dumble's experiments? :horse