Dumble shootout. Glaswerks, TwoRock Opal, E.Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mannys1, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mannys1

mannys1 Active Member

Where did that other thread go? I was going to enter this in that thread.

Oh well, here it goes. What a trip! Just finished a mini Dumble clone shootout at Tags. The amps were roberts tworock Opal, Tags tworock emerald pro, and a glaswerks super overdrive. We put them into three different cabs. a 1/12 two rock sig with an old EV12l. a mesa 4/12. (not sure what speakers), and a Bruno 2/12 with G12H30s. This guy "Frankie" played the most, as he is a Ford freak, and knocks out Ford solos note for note with a pick/fingers attack.

I think i can clear one thing up that I could never understand. Its the "straining" sound that i read so much about. The strain is just the attack, bloom, and decay of a note. The opal and glaswerks have what I would call normal amounts of each. You pick a note, it blooms almost instantly, then slowly decays. The e.pro is different. you pick a note, and it has a really slow bloom before it peaks,then starts a slow decay. It is different than other amps, and I can see how it could make you want to play fewer notes. The slow blooming sensation makes you want to hold notes longer. It makes the amp feel and sound different than the others. The Carol Ann I played at lark music seemed to have some of the same thing going on. Interesting.

The opal is the most flexible of the 3, and if you like punch with your Dumble tones, this will do it. it had 2 modes, with one being smooth, and the other being rough and jagged. It was the loudest of the three amps (it seemed like 100 watts compared to the others 50), and like the glaswerks, it got loud right off of idle. both amps would benefit from a slower taper on the drive MV for my taste. the emerald pro you could turn up 25% before the volume was equal to other two amps almost right from the beginning of their rotation. Oddly, at 50%, all the amps were at a similar volume. (loud) The opals clean channel had the most gain, and it was darker than the other two, but had a nice mild bright switch that seemed to be voiced just right. With it on, and all of that punch, it reminded me of a really good twin reverb. With the gain maxed, you could get some authentic old school rock tones in this channel alone. This had my favorite cleans of the three, while tag liked the glaswerks slightly more. (he also keeps his clean tones sparkling, while I prefer more gain) Frankie liked even more than i do, and kept the gain almost dimed. With the smooth setting engaged, the Opal could be made to sound very similar to either the e.pro or glaswerks, although the bloom and decay was not like the e.pros. In the other setting, you could get anything from zeppelin to pearl jam or green day. amazing array of tones from just 2 channels.

The glaswerks was very similar to the opal. the difference being that all of its settings were not as drastic. in other words, while the opal could go from dumble like tones to all out rock and roll, the glaswerks had very subtle changes of eq, and retained its basic voicing. It also had really nice cleans, a fair amount of gain, and many ways to shift the mids and treble. Each shift was minimal, but very musical. The overdrive tones were clear and articulate, and like the opal, could easily get ford and Carlton types of tones. I thought the reverb was better than the opals, but not as good as the e.pros. The od tone stack switch seemed to drop bottom end in the down position, and i liked all the switches set to the 'fat' settings. we changed to 6l6 tubes, then back to the stock ones, and all liked the stock tubes more. chewier with more overtones. (el34s I think)

e.pro. the reverb was the best of the group. the cleans were really nice and fat with a tele or strat, but you had to cut back the mids a bit with humbuckers. of the 3 amps, it had the least amount of gain in the clean channel, but seemed to sound the best when you turned it up really loud. The cleans totally transformed once you had it cranked, and SRV tones were easily available. Tag played the beginning to Riviera paradise, and it sounded amazing with his Chapin strat. at lower volumes though, it was the flattest of the three. At loud volumes, it had a big, airy, breathing tone. Oddly,that means at loud volumes, it had my favorite cleans, but at low or mid volume, my least favorite. what a transformation.

ok...trouble time. with Robert and Frankie playing, tag put on some clips of ford playing politician, worried life blues, the plunge, and Chevrolet. he would play a section on the stereo, and then have the guys mimic the lick with each amp. each one could get in the ball park, and I think they all sounded the closest into the mesa cab. The closest was Frankie with his pick and fingers style into the e pro sounded, and it sounded right on with the recording. All the amps could get close, but there are certain sections of solos tag would specifically pick out that highlighted that slow bloom fords amps have. It seems like the slower swell of the note rounds off the high end a bit, and as the note peaks, it sounds like a phase shift. the pro seems to do this really well for one reason or another. take into consideration tag is being really picky, but i do hear what he is talking about. It would have been nice to have a CA there, because as I said before, i heard the slower bloom in that too. The e.pro does seem to have something unique in that area.

Now I can talk about my favorite amp of the day.:) The little white 1/12 cowtipper 22! I had the amp wide open, and it could keep up with the other 3 amps with no problem. it has a crunch that reminds me of a good JTM45, but back it down, and you get great fendery cleans. Tag has an ethos pedal, but he leant it to another member, so I played it with a fulldrive II. it sounded as good as any of the other three amps to me, and the clean tones and reverb were off the charts. He also has a Bruno 35 and 45, and i was going to plug into them when there was a knock on the door. I guess his neighbor did not appreciate the volume of the little 22 as much as I did. lol! I felt bad, as that put an end to the show.

Thanks to tag for letting me attend, and for the Gatorade and corn chips. Maybe Robert will post his take on the gathering as well. Frankie needs to get a computer so he can get his playing on the web. He can cop anyone from ford to blackmore to trower. Not only tonally, but facial expressions and stage movements as well. Great entertainer as well as player!

I will be dreaming of cows tonight i am certain.

2. Luithien

Luithien Member

Sounds like a good time was had by all...well except for the neighbor that is. Nice post.

JT

3. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

4. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Great review!!! Thanks for posting! Funny you mention the Cowtipper 22 and FD2. At a rehearsal a few weeks back with my new (and still forming band), the other guitarist borrowed my Allen Accomplice 1x12 (with TT H1E speaker) and red FD2 MOSFET. He plays a Godin with two 'buckers (don't even know the model) and we were all shocked at how amazing that entire combination sounded. He kept turning around and commenting on how amazing the tone was. I find that I generally prefer my Jetter GSRs into most amps over any of the various FD2 versions I have, but the FD2 sounds best, by far, into the Accomplice. Great match!

5. Timinator

Timinator Supporting Member

Thanks for the great write-up. Did they record any of the Dumble Off?

6. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

that carol ann od-2 combo at lark street is a smokin' little amp. i took my friend ede there last week and we both played thru that thing for at least a half an hour (until buzzy cut us off). wow! what an amp. ede ended up ordering an od-2 head when he got back to atlanta.

7. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the great write up!

This is the kind of analysis of tonal variations we have been wanting to hear concerning these amps. I appreciate that you tested and noted the difference in tones at the different volume levels as I think this is a very important point that is often not discussed. The taper to the volume and other controls is also very important.

Good job and welcome to TGP!

8. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

9. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Hey Tag,

Welcome back.

10. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

OK - Yes we see. Learning something just the same.

11. robertgordon

robertgordon Active Member

john,
    it was cool meeting you. has anyone ever told you that you need a haircut?;) it takes me a long time to type, but i will see if i can get my version of the amps posted. its close to your take, except for the cowtipper. i will take my hr deluxe and keep the 2k i saved.

if you have something to say to tag, his email is tag303@verizon.net
    he is away until monday night, but i am sure he will respond to any email when he returns. i am here house and dog sitting for him. i have a jacuzzi, all this gear, and a case of ice cold coors. i intend to use all of it.
    :dude

12. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

that's not Tag, you can tell it's not his writing style

13. LVC

LVC Senior Member

that is a smokin amp ---- been saying that for months --- also been after Buzz to sell me that amp --- no go.

I just read in another thread that CA is going to make more of those combos.... I want one ---- but need to control my GAS for at least a few weeks.

14. trap

trap Supporting Member

next time you see buzzy, tell him we miss him up in albany.

15. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

You know, I've been a lurker on a lot of these "Dumble-style" amp threads and I have to say it's really too bad that they get so "compartmentalized". As a player of straight blues, jump/West Coast swing and jazz I'm bettin' there would be a bunch of sweet, usable, tones for traditional blues and roots music guys. But we're so hung up on the "vintage vibe" and looks thing that we sometimes cheat ourselves out of great tones. I would guess most of the amps mentioned here would do the clean sustain thing extremely well.
    And I certainly agree regarding the Bruno amps. The clips of the Cowtippers on their website impress the heck out of me and I'm dumbfounded by the lack of Brunos on "big name" stages. They're fabulous sounding amps.
    Anyway, thank you for the great job on the comparison and review. I wouldn't be surprised that someday I'll be adding one of the amps in your review to my collection, which recently includes 2 different Louis Electric amps I'm not about to turn loose of. But that's a whole different review. Nice job though with the amp shootout.

Tom

16. mannys1

mannys1 Active Member

Haircut? No, why? :p With the size of your biceps, of course i would get one if you asked me though. i will never agree with you on the fender however as you know.;)
    It sounds like you had a fun weekend. i would still like to hear your thoughts on the amps.

17. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I'm one of those guys who doesn't put too much stock in the "vintage amp" thing. I just want something that will sound great and be versatile, given the variety of venues I have to play... I just gigged my new Glaswerks 50-watt ODS 1x12 combo this past Saturday at an outdoor gig, and let me tell you, it sounded great!

Mine has a pair of 6L6s, and is set up to deliver kind of a Super Reverb just-on-the-edge-of-breakup in the clean channel, albeit with a much tighter bottom end, like you'd get from a Twin. My "lead" channel is set up with a little more "hair" and compression, like an overdriven tweed.

There's a nice boost and mid-boost that can be utilized on the clean channel, which just gooses things up a bit. And with a great master volume, I can get those tones at usable volume levels for any kind of room. Also has a buffered effects loop, which I haven't yet really tried out...

I'll be gigging it again this Saturday, in a very "live" room, and will see how it sounds there. But first impressions were very good, and I was able to dial it in for both my '53 ES-175 (P90s) and a parts Tele with Don Mare's "Roy Nichols" wind pickups. Both sounded excellent.

18. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

So Dave, how does it compare to your old Two Rock Topaz? I recently picked up a Topaz -- and after I obsessively tweaked the internal trimmers, rebiased it and bought and broke-in a G12-65 type speaker (from Warehouse Speakers) it sounds great in both channels.

I had my first gig with it this past Saturday and I was very happy with it. I like this amp a lot more than my old Two Rock Custom Reverb, for a number of reasons.

But I'm also on the Glaswerks waiting list......

19. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

So far, I would rate this above the Topaz... But in fairness, I really need to gig it a half-dozen times in various venues, to REALLY evaluate it. ;)

20. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

Dave, got a pic of your Glaswerks? What speaker you runnin? Any tweaks or the standard version? thanks man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.