"Dumble sound is just a bassman with a tubescreamer"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jeff_lebowski, Jun 12, 2019.

1. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

Are there any other amps that are talked about in this matter?

It always seems to me that with the Dumble its alittle more complicated then just throwing a tubescreamer infront of a fender.

I dont mean this to be a deal slagging amps Im just wondering if there are other amp sounds that a lot of people say can be made by putting x amp and y pedal together.

2. T Wilcox

T Wilcox Member

Edited... I think there is a large tonal difference between a bassman with a TS and a Dumble but thats just my opinion

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    JasonElGato, yawiney, strike3 and 4 others like this.
  3. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

I tend to agree!

I played a Fuchs ODS this past weekend and it was much better than a tubescreamer into a bassman or the dude and twin I had played in the past.

It seems like pretty common advice around here and I didnt really find it to be the case at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2019
    NicDo and Baxtercat like this.
  4. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I think the point of the comparison is for those who can't afford the Dumble clone.

Scooter, DiPa, hank57 and 4 others like this.
  5. WBellman

WBellman Supporting Member

Zendrive into a Fender will get you there 100X better than a tube screamer.

6. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Staff Member Supporting Member

I've put a tube screamer in front of my 56 and 66 Bassman's - neither sounded like a Dumble all of a sudden. They sounded incredible, but not like a ODS/ODR.

Best bet, my opinion, is putting a d-style pedal in front of a 4x10 Super Reverb.

JasonElGato, Phil M, RAG7890 and 14 others like this.
  7. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

Id love to put most mid hump pedals into 4x10 super reverb.

i guess where my mind went when I played the fuchs was that the pedals and amps werent even close and that no other amp model is really treated this way when people say I want X tone and eventually some one will chime in, just put x pedal in fro nt of y amp and youre there like the Dumble.

I REALLY want to play a real one now.

8. WBellman

Fuchs is a better build and much more consistent. The reals ones are hit and miss in regards to whether you'll like the tone from what I've read.
    Supreme > Special

9. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

the FUCHs was very musical. Havent been so inspired by an overdrive and clean like that since going on my Boogie journey a few years ago.

You hear he builds them based on the player so its almost like you need to wait for your favorite player to sell theirs!

the dumble sound from an amp and not pedals was a bit of a revelation for me.

bettset likes this.
  10. WBellman

@jeff_lebowski MBritt sells a D-Pack which is lots of Kemper Profiles of four different D-style amps. Fuchs, Two Rock, Ceriatone, and a Dumble.
    I've never played a real dumble but after extensive auditioning I thought the Fuch files best captured the Dumble
    tones I've heard on record - mostly Ford.

NicDo, Oriondk and jeff_lebowski like this.
  11. frank4001

frank4001 Member

It depends on what Fender amp.
    Fuchs are built right from the ground up and probably nevet messed with much.
    You get a BF Bassmen set up right.
    Caps, tubes, NF , biased ect...
    Through a great set of speakers and put a TS or Zendrive in front and then see.
    Point is the amp has to set up right to really judge.
    So many have been messed with or need attention its hard to make a generalization.
    I know mine is and it sounds fantastic when you can turn it up or great as a clean amp.

Rossi163 likes this.
  12. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

That can work both ways. Those who can’t afford it would apply a sour grapes mentality of asserting that Dumbles are nothing special. Those who can afford it, and have laid out the cash to own one, will justify it to their grave. Both sides have a psychological basis that can cloud an accurate assessment.

13. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

dually noted. i left digital behind to go all tube a few years back and its been a lot of fun, i do miss the versatility of digital tho. the quality of the patches are amazing.

FUCHs is high on my list so far but its a great tone no matter what comes a long.

14. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Back in the 90's, I remember reading about a de-gooping of an ODS, and my recollection was that they claimed they had found, in essence, a solid-state overdrive circuit pushing essentially a Fender Blackface of Twin Reverb size, so I think that's the original source of the meme.

Plus, people noticed that Robben Ford would use backlined Twin Reverbs on fly dates along with like, a Zendrive, and sound "the same" as with the Dumble, and some people started concluding that pedal+Fender was the essence of what was going on with a Dumble.

15. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

I am certainly not speaking in absolutes. I havent played a zendrive yet

In my personal experience the pedals set up and pure amp setup have no yielded even close to the same results and It made me think of how many times the short cut advice Ive seen and wondered if it was applied to other amps as well.

Dumbles I suppose are about the rarest things around and so people will be trying to approximate that sound with whats available because the amps are not.

I guess i just kinda answered my own question haha.

Lauri Vennonen likes this.
  16. WBellman

I think Ford's only used the Zendrive on fly dates since he's gotten it. And to say a TS sounds like a ZD, is like saying a strat sounds like a les paul, since they are both electric guitars.

17. jvin248

jvin248 Member

See what the Kemper/Helix/etc guys have come up with for 'Dumble' amps.

And is it all Dumble amps or only a few lucky Dumbles owned by famous players?

Could be a lot of player skills getting put into the mystical amp -- and why it's more difficult to copy with other gear.

Or mixing board/studio equipment drawing out the specific tones during recordings.

Fender amps were based on vacuum tube charts/books/circuits from Westinghouse/GE used in radios/etc during WWII. The Marshall amps were based on Fender amps. Dumble was probably based on a Fender circuit. Circuit analysis may tell a lot of what you need or can/cannot do.

18. willie k

willie k Silver Supporting Member

"Tube Screamer" has become the go-to dirt box name, like Coke for a soft drink, or Xerox for a copier. Tube amp purists get snobby about solid state components, yet one of the most exalted builders puts a FET gain stage in his amp. Maybe not an actual Ibanez Tube Screamer, but the moniker "Bassman with a TS" , to me, is a dig at fanatical tube purists.

JasonElGato and tiktok like this.
  19. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

I have no idea what an Overdrive Special sounds like because I never played through one.

What I can say is I never once found the following equation to be true:

Pedal + Amp A = Amp B

20. WBellman

To the crowd at a gig maybe, but not when it's just you and the gear.