"Dumble sound is just a bassman with a tubescreamer"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jeff_lebowski, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Funky54

Funky54 Member

Stevie Ray Vahn into a Fender might give you dumble tone.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    macmax77 and gulliver like this.
  2. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

I've never played a Dumble amp and in all likelihood never will. My Fractal Audio AX-8 has several Dumbles and Dumble clones like Bludotone, Carol Ann, Fuchs etc. or even a Boogie Mk II... When I first started to experiment with the Dumble model I was shocked at how much gain was on tap since some of my favorite Dumble players are not what I'd call high gain players like Robben Ford, Larry Carlton etc.

Over time I've come to the conclusion that I much prefer an over driven amp (just turning it up) to an amp with a drive block in front of it. IMHO the Zen Drive get's you close.

I recently made a patch with a 65 bassnan and just goosed the 65 by turning it up...a lot. Sounds kind of Dumble-ish to me.

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

4. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

Some crowds wouldn't notice if one of the guitarists was playing a totally different song than the rest of the band. :)

5. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

That ludicrous comment comes from an old HC review of a 'dumble' amp someone uploaded saying it was just a tube screamer built into a fender head.
    Horse-hockey.

Havent played a real one I admit, but played enough clones. Fuchs, Two Rock, Reinhardt, Redplate. You name it None sounded like a 'tubescreamer in front of a bassman'.

Such a dumb platitude.

I don't know any other amps that sound like a 'pedal in front of amp x'

Roark, e???, rwijaya and 4 others like this.
  6. big mike

that's really close enough.

Side note, if I ever have that tone on a gig, feel free to slap me, or beat me in the head with a tubescreamer, because some alien will have taken over my body.
    That tone is played out IMO. If it ain't Robben or Larry. Move on.

7. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Never played a Dumble but I've owned both Two Rock and Fuchs amps. Anyone who says a TS + Fender even gets you in the neighborhood makes me wonder what they've played in the D-style amp realm.
    100x better but it still wasn't quite the equal of my Fuchs and definitely not my Two Rock.

8. PB+J

PB+J Member

So many guys here are held back by not having a Dumble or the right type of bone in their nut.

9. big mike

As I recall @aleclee , you had the only two-rock I've ever coveted. The emerald right?

That was a cool amp.

LordByron likes this.
  10. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I'm sure they're different. I've never played a dumble. Otoh Ford can play a Zendrive into a Super Reverb and get close enough that I wouldn't think about the difference if the recording was audio only instead of video. Carlton sometimes use a Blues Deluxe + some drive I can't make out, and sound pretty much like latter day Larry Carlton.
    I'm sure they're different, but I can see how the idea come up

11. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Staff Member Supporting Member

I had a Emmy 50 too. They are indeed great amps. I've always wanted to try the Pro version, but I've never seen one near me.

LordByron likes this.
  12. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

Me too... I've played a zillion D-style amps but the only one I ever bought was an Emmy 50. Not pure D by the way, it had a bit of Marshall going on (which I liked). Great amp. So many amps, so little time.

13. big mike

Probably why I liked it. I need that pissed off Brit flavor in my amps.

PurpleJesus and LordByron like this.
  14. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

Didn't know that and I agree! I am excited to try more clones, they are hard to come by here in the Midwest. Guy I met locally had a few different cool amps and I always wanted to try a bit of the dumble thing.

Even goosing mids and dumping mids didn't get much of the tubescreamer vibe.

I've seen such advice given here as well as a suitable shortcut to that vibe.

A lot of it was just the feel and the clean up either through picking or guitar volume. Lots of dynamics there that I really find desirable.

I was all peachy with gear before playing the FUCHS. Here we go again!

15. big mike

Dunno where you're at, but Overland in Kansas used to have a bunch of cool dumbles and clones.

Trip down to Nashville, Carter Guitars usually has some too.

LordByron and jeff_lebowski like this.
  16. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

I'm pretty sure most amp designs out there are really only based on a handful of unique designs from the 50s and 60s. I mean, there's a fairly wide variety now, but if you think about it, Marshalls were originally based on the Bassman. Dumbles were originally hot rodded Fenders (right?) and if I remember correctly the original Mesa Boogie was essentially a modded Princeton.

JasonElGato and MkIIC+ like this.
  17. big mike

More like a gutted Princeton.

But most thing started from the tube manufacturers 'suggested circuit' books and evolved from there. Yeah the Marshalls started as modified tweed bassman and moved on...etc etc.

Dumble was originally hotrodded (improved?) blackface bassman he 'tuned' for Robben by listening. And went from there.

None of this stuff is rocket science.

Matteo11, jeff_lebowski and kingrazor like this.
  18. plumberstrummer

plumberstrummer Fatal3Records.com Supporting Member

An FET is not a tubescreamer

Some ODS amps have a bassman tone stack, sure ~ but there is also the front end loading, phase inverter, power section, negative feedback circuit...

Whoever shared that idea probably had only a quick peek at a schematic and did not understand what they were looking at.

What makes a "Dumble" has less to do with the circuit itself, and has more to do with how you execute that circuit. Thusly, any circuit can be "Dumbleized" to varying degrees (a little or a lot; take it as far as you want) and just because an amp is an "ODS circuit" does not mean it is a real clone. Some of the parts Dumble used are very specific and hard to find, and some are common. It takes a certain blend to the whole.

It's like the difference between BBQ meat vs cooking in an electric oven or cooking in a microwave. Yes each is the same meat and seasoning, but how you execute it and the ingredients used is everything. To say you can get a Dumble tone from a tubescreamer in front of a bassman is like saying you can get Salisbury steak from the frozen dinner aisle...

It's an easily repeatable remark, but it really has no basis beyond ignorance. A real "Dumble" isn't even a circuit, any more than a dinner is an ingredient list.

19. WBellman

WBellman Supporting Member

Funny. Whenever I'm playing that tone I feel like Robben is slapping me in the head - "Slow down and pay more attention to phrasing!"

For those who don't know the story:

Alfonso Hermida (ex NASA employee) designed the Zendrive after hearing Ford live with his Dumble. He wanted to nail that one tone.

The fact that it's Ford's go to pedal to put in front of any random Fender tells you everything you need to know if you want Ford/Dumble on a reasonable budget.

My old one started going bad so I picked up the newer Hermida approved Love Pedal version and it's the real deal.

Devin, JasonElGato, Lt Dak and 3 others like this.
  20. frank4001

frank4001 Member

Everyone tries to cop some great tone they wittnessed live. I know I have. You do the best you can with your own ears and stuff available but practice and execution are really the key...but thats another story