Dumble Tone - is this it?

Shredzilla

Not a huge John Legend fan, but found this song kinda cool and guitar tone really nice.
Is this considered a "dumble" tone ?

aflynt

Sounds more like a really nice overdriven mixing console to me, but a "Dumble" tone could really be anything, really. The somewhat splatty low-end in the recording isn't really typical of what people generally think of when they say "Dumble tone", but that doesn't mean that somebody couldn't dial one in to sound like that. Cool sound, though.

-Aaron

SigXer

I believe that the guitarists is David Torn (TGP user Splatt). He's big into Fryette amps, so it's probably a Fryette Deliverance 120. I could be totally wrong, it's just a guess.

MHG

It kind of has a Steel String Singer vibe to it. The SSS has that Hi-Fi quality to it.

Bradleyonmic

I get a very similar tone on my Lonestar when in the Thicker setting and gain low. I love that sound. I never knew John Legend was a place to look for great guitar tones!

Jericfos

I don't know about Dumble, but that song is pretty cool and the guitar track is badass. I agree with the others, the distortion sounds like it came later. Direct and hot or at least post-amp. There's a million ways they could have achieved that distortion but it doesn't sound like a guitar amp to me.

The playing and tone reminds me a bit of Daniel Lanois.

mickelodeon

Also, I'd bet heavy money that that distortion is post, or it's 2 amps at the very left. The clarity in behind the dirt is way too clear for an amp breaking up like that.