Dumble--what a load of !@#$%

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by popsongsmith, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I don't get it. Does anyone really believe that Larry Carlton and Robben Ford would be any less influential, soulful and toneful without Dumble amps? Gimme a frickin' break. If those cats used Crate amps, there would be a run on Crates. Go listen to the hack Dumble clips on YouTube, and see how bad a Dumble can sound in the wrong hands.

Dumble my @ss. It's all in the technique.

2. Matt F

Matt F Member

Any good tool in the wrong hands is going to not work. Music related or otherwise.

However, put a good tool in the hands of a craftsman.. and the result can be astonishing.

3. pharmx

pharmx Member

Sounds like you're confusing tone with style

4. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

Exactly, I was influenced 20 years ago by guy who played on solid state Crate combo (BTW with excellent chorus) that I bought it immediately and keep it to date.
    If song and playing was right noone ever paid attention how crappy was that combo, indeed.
    Sound is in fingers, pickups, wood, after all almost any simple tube design amp will sound quite well if aforesaid three elements are OK.

5. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Rushin, is that you?

I understand what you are saying, I know a local player that can get "that" sound out of just about any rig he plays, when I ask him how he gets the same sound out of lesser amps he responds the he has to work harder to get it. I have actually seen other guitarist that were in the audience when he played, go up and ask if he was using a Dumble.

6. shuie

shuie Member

This is going to end badly

7. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Yup.

8. Curly

Curly Member

slow morning?

9. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I disagree...Dumbles have magic. Put the magic into the hands of a magician...and you take the whole vibe up a few notches...into the stratosphere of magic!!!

That there strategerie gets my vote every time!!!

:D

S./
    j

10. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

No denying that a good tool in good hands can do great work.
    And it's no denying that human error, manufacturing glitches, parts failure and use can (at any time) ruin a fancy piece of gear.

There are other peripheral problems (watching my language) that can make any gear, 'deal', exchange, music or life (in general) go bad as well.

This thread will not get that bad, will it? LOL

11. plexi67

plexi67 Member

Got to think though, why do those guys use those amps, when they could buy or use anything they wanted. They must like the tone/response/sound of the amps ,or they wouldn't be using them. I'm sure any amp mentioned,from marshall to whatever, would not sound as good,if the person using it,couldn't play. Meaning ,some people know how to coax out sounds,by how they play. Where some may not be able to come close,no matter what amp or guitar they were using.

12. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Staff Member Silver Supporting Member

This reminds me of a great story. Indulge me, it's pretty interesting.

There is a cat that owns a local guitar store and major sound company. He has been in business 30+ years. He also happens to be a smokin' guitar player, and has done literally tons of sessions. If you heard any guitar playing or licks on a beer commercial in the 80s and 90s, it was likely his playing.

I was in his store one day a couple years ago and a guy was there looking for a beginner's amp for his son. So the store owner picks a bone-stock U.S.A. Strat up off the wall. He proceeds to plug into this little solid state Fender amp - it was about $150+/-.

The store owner was tying to be honest and NOT sell the guy an expensive piece of gear. So he plugs into this little solid state Fender amp and starts playing some blues chops. Incredible. I mean literally drop dead gorgeous tone and chops.

If your back was turned so you could not see the rig he was playing through, you would have sworn it something along the lines of a vintage Strat and BF Deluxe Reverb.

Yes - Larry Carlton can make a Dumble sing, and he can probably make an old Crate or Pignose sing as well. And yes, I concur that much of the overall sound (notice I did not say "tone") lies in the hands, heart, technique and chops of the player.

Being in that cat's store that one day.....I actually saw the theory in action.

13. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

I didn't start this one:munch

14. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

Dumble amps definitely have history and appreciation behind. They are recognized as very finest amps ever made.
    Similar happenned with some fine studio equipments that perished (Fairchild compressors, Ampex ATR-102 tape recorder, particular Neve preamps, Neuman U47 mics, Pultec EQs) or with instruments ('59 Les Paul Standart, Rhodes Stage MK I, '57 Fender Precison etc.).
    I worked with many of them and owe some.
    Are they the best in reality?
    For some tasks yes and for many tasks no.
    Arguably there are far better suited for the tasks gears and instruments.
    What is amazing is people's frenziness about 'out of this world magic, unique ethernal sounds' and whatever other expressions might be to describe either something they will never have or something they have, but that require justification for exaggerated price paid.
    I'm not sure what is truth behind many stories (most of them are bluffs I believe) of Mr.Dumble as manufacturer, but I know if one can't get 'magic' out of many great amps offered nowdays, Dumble or anything else will not help to do it either.

15. AlexF

AlexF Member

Its a fact.

RF sounded just the same with his Euro setup - a Red Knob Twin, case closed.
    Al

16. Marty

Marty Member

While i respect that the original poster doesn't get the dumble mojo the larger topic of superior equipment vs whatever continues to be a story I don't get.

Musicians have always sought the best sounding (to their ears) equipment they can get (afford). If the original poster could have any equipment he wanted for free I doubt he would be playing the made in mexico strat and a $75 pignose.

It would be interesting to see what his current rig(s) is.

I'm sure that he can sell whatever he has and downgrade to that Sears / Walmart guitar and amp and get the same sound. It is after all, "in his hands"

Personally, If hit the powerball tomorrow, the world wide prices on a lot of gear will go up as a result of my rampage...

That said I have spent near-on a lifetime proving you can't buy talent :(

17. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

Many of 'those guys' are people like other, some of them just like to have (or show) what is not easily attainable by average Joe. That's part of image:moon:JAM

18. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I don't think it's a load but it is highly over-rated. IMHO.

It's like the kid looking at the jar on the cupboard that he's not suppose to open. Gets to be he just has to have it because he knows dam well there is somthing awesome in that jar.

In the end it's just a cookie, not too much unlike many he's had, different but good. Maybe his favorite of all time. And he'd be pretty special if he were one of only a few that could get those cookies!!

19. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

No flames, but usually it happens to other guys.
    Anyway good luck and invest wisely.

20. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

I've never believed the hype about that amp but I believe the hype about their playing and they sound great through that amp....and other amps. I saw LC playing his Valley Arts 000-28 with an EMG pickup & that did not make me run out and put that pickup in an acoustic.

*I'd take a Dumble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.