"Dummy" Battery Saver

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shawn S., Jan 25, 2008.

1. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

Would it be possible to go to Radioshack and buy the 2.1mm [2.5] adapter plugs (no cables or power supply) that you'd use for DIY stuff, and put those in some of the effects that have the "true-bypass" battery option so not to drain down the battery without unplugging the cables? Or is a current necessary to bypass the battery? Also, is there an easy way to tell if the battery can be bypassed by doing this on some pedals, other than reading it in a manual?

2. Don't Post

Don't Post Member

i don't know the tech specs but i have heard of people doing that.

3. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

yes you can. i have done that.

4. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

Does it work with all pedals?

5. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

It works great - I do that with my overdrives. All battery powered fx with adapter jacks should have this function (plug in adapter jack disconnects the battery), so it should work fine for you. The easiest way to tell if it works with a particular pedal is to simply try it. Stick the dummy plug in the adapter jack - if it goes dead, you've shut down the battery.

/Andreas

Shawn S. likes this.
  6. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

Great, thanks. I wasn't use if the same theory about "if the single passes without power then it's true-bypassed switching" was true about the power (Mostly asking for the electronic-switching effect - Ibanez Chorus). Thanks.

7. jbird327

jbird327 Member

I use one of those extension chain cables for use with a one spot. It keeps all the ends together and it is easier to keep track of. I usually just pop the plugs out and leave the entire cable on the board.

8. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Duh......well, $%^ me.......what a simple, great idea!

Thanks!

9. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

Cool, thanks all.

10. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Well, the theory isn't true about true bypass (if the pedal still passes signal in bypass mode, all you know is that it has a passive bypass system - there's no way to tell if it's true bypass or not). But it can definitely be used to tell if the pedal has lost power or not :AOK

An Ibanez chorus pedal manufactured somewhere in the last 30 years will most definitely switch the battery out of the circuit when an adapter plug is inserted, so it should work just fine.

/Andreas

11. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

Yeah, I knew that about the signal, so I wasn't sure if it would acutally be bypassed as the power. Thanks again.

12. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

I've done this before with a fuzz..... forgot to pull out the dummy switch a couple of times though at shows. It works great as long as you remember.

13. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

Am I missing something here? If you're using the daisy chain cable, why not just use the 1-Spot with it and eliminate the batteries altogether?

14. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    What would be another option is to not run batteries in your pedals, but to run power leads from the barrel jack to another area/box with your batteries in it. That way you don't have to pull your pedals off of your pedalboard, which wears the velcro. I did this with my fuzzes on a few boards, also with a few pedals running two 9 volts for 18volts.

TheGrooveking

Shawn S. likes this.
  15. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

Well it made sense to me.

I have a 1-Spot daisy chain cable and a broken (hence the batteries) adapter part. More of the point is batteries and easy ways to keep them. Some prefer them.

16. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I use a non alkaline batt in my AM sunface ( for tone... highs are different and sag takes place ), but since I have it first in line, I just hit my tuner ( to avoid pops ) and then pull my guitar cable to save battery life. Batterys last forever in my fuzz ( and Beano ), so I really dont unplug during a performance anyway.

Everything else gets the Voodoo labs Pedal Power... its the only way to ball. Spot-one sucks in comparison.

17. aidan7737

aidan7737 Member

+1

I use this method for my Muff w/non alkaline battery. Simply use a dummy 1 spot connector. All my pedals have batteries despite being connected to power. This way I can just yank one off or tune up at home etc without needing to set up power as well.

18. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

This is a GREAT idea! I never use my PP2 to power any of my fuzz or dirt pedals - and I do use dummy plugs to save the batteries - but eventually I have to pull the pedal off the pedalboard and go through the hassle of changing out the battery. An easy access "Battery Box" would be just the ticket for quick battery changes when one of my OD's dies right in the middle of a set. And if there are more outputs on the Battery Box than I need, I could just move the cable to a free jack and be back in the game in a heartbeat!