Dummy load?

I want to hook a Budda Superdrive 30 head directly into a board. Jeff Bober suggested a H&K red box, but wouldn't I still need a dummy load? I haven't done this before and want to make sure I have the correct load, but don't completely understand. How can I run this directly and not have speakers playing. I want the room to be quiet, but have the guitar going into the computer. Is H&K the best option?

loverocker

I want to hook a Budda Superdrive 30 head directly into a board. Jeff Bober suggested a H&K red box, but wouldn't I still need a dummy load?
Yes - you DO need a suitable load for the amp. The Red Box has a 'Thru' socket, so plug a MASS/HotPlate/etc set to full attenuation/load into that jack socket.

So a hot plate will take the load? Do I just get a hot plate that would match the impedence of the speaker output? Would I need the H&K box, or could I just run from amp to hot plate to computer?

loverocker

Yes - choose a Hot Plate to match the amp impedance (you may have a choice with your amp - 4, 8, or 16). In this setup, it simply dissipates the amp's power output - electrical energy - as heat.

OK, you can use the Hot Plate line out to connect to PA/recorder, BUT - this will sound nasty and fizzy without extra EQ. Because it's a full-range signal. Whereas the tone we normally hear from a guitar speaker cab has almost no energy over 5kHz.

This is what the Red Box is famous for - providing a speaker-emulated line out to send to recorder/PA. Now, if your recording software has speaker emulation, you don't necessarily need a Red Box. Yu can get the software to do the same thing on the raw (full-range) signal from the Hot Plate.

Which is best? <shrug> You pays your money and takes your choice :)

I tried many solution, Motherload is the best so far, sound can go straight to the console with very good results. Palmers are good, too.

Bussman

A poor man's Palmer: Buy a speaker motor from Weber (about $30-$45), put it in a box and wire it to a jack. plug this load box into speaker out on a H&K Red Box or TAD FANTA (about $100), voilà a Palmer type device for less than the $600 PDI-03 asking price. You'll have to decide for yourself if it sounds just as good though.

PR702

A poor man's Palmer: Buy a speaker motor from Weber (about $30-$45), put it in a box and wire it to a jack. plug this load box into speaker out on a H&K Red Box or TAD FANTA (about $100), voilà a Palmer type device for less than the $600 PDI-03 asking price. You'll have to decide for yourself if it sounds just as good though.
what else can you use besides the H&K and TAD?

Bussman

Palmer's PDI-09 or any of the other padded direct boxes with cabinet simulator (I think even Behringer makes one). Optionally you could pad the signal down with a large pot and use a regular DI and software cabinet simulation in your DAW as mentioned above. There's more than one way to do it!

loverocker

So are the Motherload and Palmer basically DI boxes with hotplates/airbrakes?
Yes - they have speaker-emulation outputs and load boxes. The Marshall SE-100 also has the same combination, as does the Groove Tubes SE-something.

I have the Palmer PDI-03, 04, 09, the H&K Red Box and an SE-100 (they all followed me home, honest!). My favourite is still the PDI-03 (although I've never tried a Motherload).

A DIY combination of Weber MASS and RedBox would be a lower cost option.

Trending Topics