duncan 59 bridge vs duncan pearly gates bridge

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nitro, Aug 6, 2006.

1. nitro

nitro Senior Member

which one of the two pickups would have more of a midrange swell, old van halen tone.

2. AlexF

AlexF Member

Cant answer as to Van Halen, dont have any interest, but the pearly gates has a brighter top end, more spank, so i guess the '59 would be regarded as more mid rangey. The bridge model has more of that than the neck model too.
    Al

3. Curly

Curly Member

both great pickups

actually, though, the PG, since it's alnico 2, would have more mids compared to the alnico 5 '59

however, most folks going for the EVH tone would probably try the Custom Custom or the Custom Shop EVH

4. 59model

59model Member

From the Duncan site: Bass, Middle, Treble 3,7,7

applicationHigh output humbucker for use in bright guitars. Great for pop, country, blues, classic rock and heavy rock.description The Custom CustomTM is our SH-5 Duncan CustomTM humbucker with an Alnico II magnet for warm and smooth highs, more midrange, and a spongier bottom end than the SH-5. ItÂ’s a good choice for players who need a traditional vintage tone with increased output. Comes with four-conductor hookup cable.complete setup Recommended for bridge position. Often a Custom Custom is paired with a Pearly Gates for bluesy P.A.F. tones in the neck.guitarsFor brighter toned instruments. Works especially well with maple and ebony fingerboards.

5. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

Oops, nevermind my last post. I got the Custom Custom mixed up with the Custom 5, which only has mids at 3.

6. Curly

Curly Member

just to be clear ...
    I haven't used the Custom Custom or the Duncan Custom Shop EVH -- I'm not going for that tone -- but I'll try to help someone who is.

as I said, those who post on the Duncan forum who are looking for that tone usually try those two. The Custom Shop EVH -- or Evenly Voiced Harmonics -- is a PAF style pickup wound to 9K. It was originally developed for a certain player, but an endorsement deal was never reached.

The Custom Custom is high output, but it doesn't carry the high pricetag.

that said, there are lots of happy Pearly Gates users, too.

hope that helps ... you might try asking on the Duncan forum if you need more specifics

7. SFW

SFW Member

You have your pickups confused. The Custom has a mid scooped feel. The Custom Custom uses Alnico II mags and has a creamy and prominent mid hump. That said, if you're going for VH tones... get the Duncan 78.

8. MCG

MCG Member

The PG will have a fuller midrange, but it also has a lot of cut. IMO either would do as well as the other.

MCG

9. nitro

nitro Senior Member

Im using a duncan 59 bridge pickup as we speak im looking for more of a top end and more of a midrange swell, listen to running with the devil thats what im looking for thanks .

10. MCG

MCG Member

Then I think the Pearly Gates would be a good choice to try!

MCG

11. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

I know, I corrected that yesterday with Post #5. I was explaining the Custom 5, it's easy to get these "customs" confused.