Duncan 59 for a PRS Singlecut?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ibanez4life SZ!, Jun 24, 2008.

1. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

Hey guys!

The pickup search continues.

EMGs were a fun side route, but there isn't too much tone in those pups. One trick pony...it's a cool trick, and I might keep it in one guitar, but otherwise, not much more to them. They do what they do perfectly, but that's all.

I want my guitar sounding like a guitar again....I want a natural organic bloom to my notes.......not like a 100% metal machine anymore.

So, I'm running a Mesa Stiletto Deuce with 2 PRS Singlecuts and a PRS CE-24...

I play modern hard rock, and some metal, but I also love a nice clean and a lighter overdrive.

I've tried A LOT of pups...Duncan Custom, Custom 5, JB, Dimarzio Tone Zone, Evo, PRS Tremonti, and EMGs...

Looking at this list, I see the only thing I haven't tried are lower output passives....maybe that is the route I need to take to MY tone.

So, how would you guys say the Duncan 59 would do in the bridge of my PRS guitars for the tones I'm talking about? Would you recommend it? Or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks much!

Eric

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

before you go off the deep end into boutique stuff, the 59 is absolutely the pickup to try. it's a vintage-output pickup, but has an alnico V magnet for a little more low end torque, so it's not thin sounding. it likes crunch and clean.

3. CiceroTJones

CiceroTJones Member

Pearly gates...

Try the 59, and pearly gates... if you don't like one of them, sell your rig and take up the piano or something.

4. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

:agree

5. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I tried an absolute stack of pups in my Single Cut...i went back to the stock PRS Treble 7's in the end. They seemed the most balanced and well suited pups for that guitar... This was the Single Cut without trem btw ;)

6. slegros

slegros Member

Im running 59's in a LP and love them. The bridge pickup is real nice. I think it'll get you where you want to go. Vintage PAF tone, with to my ears anyway, just a touch more bite and top end.

7. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

If it was me now, i think i'd throw a set of Wolftone Marshallheads in there and be done with it :D

8. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

In my CE22, I had a '59 in the bridge and a pearly gates in the neck. It was THE combination to have, IMHO. Every PRS or Les Paul I own in the future will get this, right away.

9. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Years ago, my PRS McCarty didn't sound great with my modded ts-5 or FD II - the pedals I was using ~1999. So, I tried Fralins, SD Alnico II's, '59's, Custom 5, Pearly Gates, you name it. The stock p/ups sounded best. it was the pedals: too middy for the guitar. The PRS McCarty with stock p/ups sound great with my Tone Pump, Eternity, Zendrive, CoT, Balance, etc...just not the modded ts-5 or FD II.

10. ungarn

ungarn Member

Rio Grande Texas & BBQ humbuckers...search over...

11. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

I have a 59 in the neck and JB in the bridge of my Singlecut SE, I think they sound great. The only problem is the mounting depth on the 59, The little arms that the screw goes into is long compared to the screws in there. Basically my 59 is threaded all the way down on the screw which makes it a little bit taller than level with the pickup surround. Some people might not like not being able to adjust it. Of course, if they make them with shorter brackets thats the one to get. But again, I really dig the sound. Not only that but I put in Zebra pickups and it made the guitar look soooo much classier than the standard all black.

12. swangdb

swangdb Member

I have an Anderson H1- pickup in the neck of my PRS Singlecut SE. It isn't very loud but it has a lot of clarity. The original neck pickup was too muddy-sounding for me. The original bridge pickup isn't bad but I may replace it with an Anderson H2 soon.

13. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

Everything sounds great....at the moment, I'm between either a 59 or JB for the bridge...possibly a screamin demon, but I'm not sure.

Anyone else what to chime in?

Thanks much!

14. illini

illini Member

I'll chime.

I play a 76 L.P. Standard with a Maple neck. I used the Duncan 59's for a few years and was pretty happy. I think they are great pickups. The problem I ran into is that my guitar is a fairly bright L.P., and I wanted to smooth it out some. I now use the Wolftone Marshallheads with Alnico II's, and don't see that I can make this guitar sound any better than it does. The difference between the two pickups are the Wolftone has smoother highs and more mids. The Duncan 59 is a slightly scooped pickup.
    I have kept the Duncan 59's, because they are very good, and will make it back into a guitar someday more suited for them.

15. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I have a set of 59s in my guitar (PRS copy). It started out with some Duncan Designed pups, then Lindy Fralins, and now 59s. I have no desire to look for other pickups. I play either totally clean or very distorted (big muff tones) and they do both great.