Duncan Anitquities vs. Seth Lover...what are the main differences?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by clay49, Feb 23, 2009.

1. clay49

clay49 Silver Supporting Member

Guys,

I still haven't found a set of pickups that I love for my new Tokai Love Rock (nitro finish...quasi high-end rig). I tried some Motor City Black Belts, but I'm pretty disappointed in them...pretty lifeless to my ears. I'll be putting those up for sale, along with the Tokai MKII pups shortly. I've tossed quite a bit of money in the river trying new "boutique" pickups, so I'm leaning back toward the "main stream" for this.

I've been told to check into Seymour Duncan Antiquity and Seth Lover pickups. Can those of you who know them both comment on the main differences (sonically) in the two? They run about the same price, so that's really not an issue. How do they compare to Gibson Classic '57's?

My music style? Late 70's-early 80's rock...Foreigner, 38 Special, AC/DC, Blackfoot, Molly Hatchet...those type sounds.

Bring it on!!!:dude

2. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Gold Supporting Member

I think if you swapped magnets between the two the tone would follow the magnets. In other words I think they're pretty much the same except for the weakened magnets in the Antiquities. Both are great sounding pickups.

3. tfunster

tfunster Silver Supporting Member

I think the Antiquities also have aged covers.

4. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

You'd probably be happy with either one considering the music you play. I play in a band that's similar and I use Seth's in my SG. I really like 'em a lot.

5. Oakley

Oakley Silver Supporting Member

I've had two sets of both. The Antiquities measured higher resistance - probably because more turns were used due to the "aged" magnets. Despite the higher resistance, they had about the same output as the SLs. The Antiquities also have a broader midrange while the SLs are a little scooped (relatively). Finally, the Antiquities feel a little compressed compared to the SLs. The SLs are more "open and airy."

This makes it sound like I like the SLs better - I do. But only slightly. The Antiquities' might be a better live pickup with the slightly compressed feel and broad midrange. Depends on what you're playing. I really like them both.

6. xcycle

xcycle Member

I had a set Of Seth's in my Hollow body artcore and they were prone to squeal like a pig with anything approaching high gain. I think this is a common complaint judging by Harmony Central reviews.

That said I kept the neck because it sounds great and traded in the bridge for another high gain Seymore of some sort. Now I use the neck for everything from Jazz to rock and switch to the bridge for high gain stuff.

Never tried Antiquities.

Eric

7. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Member

Yea,Seths aren't for high gain.
    In 1955 there was no such thing.
    Great pickup.

JJ

8. clay49

Jamin' John...I wouldn't necessarily consider Foreigner and AC/DC "high gain"...but it is overdriven...do you think Seths fit that realm?

9. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Member

Well Seths aren't potted so they are microphonic like a cheap harp mike.
    It's part of the sound.
    No,AC DC is just LOUD. Normal amp OD.
    Pearly Gates would be better than Seth at very high volumes.
    Are you playing very loud ?

JJ

10. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I would try some Sheptone's - either PAF Tributes, or AB customs. The AB's are a little spicier and both sound great through a Marshall in my LP. Before you go tossing good money after bad what is the rest of your electronics like? Maybe an RS type upgrade would liven things up a little?

11. clay49

Mike...the rig has pretty good pots...with Sprague orange drop caps. My tech said it's better work than any Gibson Historic Custom Shop he's ever opened up. I have RS prewired LP kits in my other two LPs, but thought I'd leave this one alone.

My amp is a Peters Halo (Marshall-esque, but Waaaayyyy better IMHO...hand wired, top-notch components and magnets, high-end tubes, etc.), my cab is an Avatar 2x12 with Celestion G12H30/Vintage 30 combo...so I know I've got the amp and the cab for the sound...the pickups are still troubling...I'm not sure I want to drop another $260 on another set of boutique pups (Sheptones). Just did that on the Motor City Blackbelts, and they have underwhelmed me significantly.

And...I don't play at high volumes...I do a lot of recording and in live settings, I mic the cab mostly....

12. DrewB

DrewB Member

I had Seth Lovers in a Les Paul that I ran into a 50-watt non-master Marshall for several years. I never had any problems with microphonics, and I ran the amp on 8 most of the time. If I got the guitar right up to the speaker cab, it'd whistle a bit, but standing up normally right in front of the cab was never a problem.

Seth Lovers are great pickups for a lot of styles.

13. Oakley

Oakley Silver Supporting Member

Wolfe Macleod insists that there's no reason for a properly wound unpotted pickup to squeel. I know I love the feel of the unpotted pickups - It's a lot like the sag of a tube rectifier vs. a diode. They're just more responsive. I'm not sure I can hear it, but I can certainly feel it.

14. Bhodie

Bhodie Supporting Member

I dont want to hijack your thread by any means, but do you guys think the SL would be the better bet in a PRS sprucetop hollowbody? I rarely play at very high volumes... if I do, it is with a 335 with Classic '57s thanks!

15. alguit

alguit Member

Getting back to the subject,

I have the SL's in a Hamer Artist Archtop and Antiquities in a Heritage HC150 and a '59 RI Les Paul.

The overall characteristics of both have been very well described on here, but I'll add this: I use the Hamer frequently in high-gain settings (from the pedals into the amp) and it works great. The Antiquities don't seem to quite as well, though I have no real complaints there, either.

Both are microphonic, but in the very best sense-they impart a liveliness to one's tone that cannot be captured any other way.

Still, the differences are subtle-both are great!

16. Mayflower

Mayflower Silver Supporting Member

IMO SL are smoking.
    Ever try an unpotted pickup with a compressor running clean?
    You will be shockede at the harmonics and overtones you will get.
    Run the same rig with a lttle hair and you get the same results. Nice crunch, lower volume feedbak and harmonics.
    No need for OD's (Maybe a frontend boost for a solo)
    Potted ...crank the gain and it's tight...Unpotted, loose and lots of other options tone wise.
    YMMV.

goldmahogany likes this.
  17. plagtr2

plagtr2 Silver Supporting Member

I have a similar rig. LS 165. Have had Marshallheads, Motor City Black Belts & Seths in her along with the stock pups. Right now, I am groovin' on the Black Belts. I am having Wolfe swap the A5's for A2's in the MH's. Suprised that the MC BB's did not work for you. Small changes, but all of these pups are good. BTW, my main amp is a TopHat Emplexador. What amp are you using & what do you think the pups you have now "don't" do?

18. clay49

I have also tried the Marshallheads, but they were too dark for me. The main issue right now, is that the pickups seem to have no life...no contour, not much sustain for an 8k bridge...just basically dull (to my ears). I'm not dogging Wade's pickups, but I was disappointed...hope it's not the guitar!!! (That is, that it's too dark, etc...It's a nitro finish beauty that is every bit as impressive as any 5K '59 Historic Custom Shop LP that I've ever seen or played).

My amp is a Peters Polaris (Canadian builder)...great amp...hand-wired, very Marshall-eque, but several cuts above assembly-line Marshalls. My cab is an Avatar 2x12 (vintage - oversized) with a Celestion G12H30/Vintage 30 combo. No pedals (don't need them...great gain onboard the amp when needed).

Someone replied earlier about replacing pots and caps...would that brighten things up? It's got impeccable wiring (cloth shielded) with Sprague orange drop caps. I have RS Guitarworks pre-wired LP kits in my other two LPs and they are clean and bright....what do you think????

19. plagtr2

plagtr2 Silver Supporting Member

My oe Tokai stuff looked fine, but I put an RS kit in right away. Also have TonePros locking studs, etc. I'm a big fan of the RS stuff. Clarity & the taper of the pots is a big bonus for me. Sounds to me like a lower output PAF would be the ticket for you. That may brighten up the guitar some. I have always had treble to spare on the amp, so I have not had the same issues that you are having. I'd put out the feelers with the fine folks here on who makes a nice "brighter" PAF pup in a low to medium wind. My biggest "issue" with the Tokai was finding a balance on output of the pickups. I want to be able to turn down the volume & have her clean up, but still be able to "dime" her & rock out. Still toying around, but the MC BB's are pretty darn close.

20. clay49

I may go ahead and invest the $80 on a pre-wired modern LP kit from RS, and give that a go before I punt the MC BB pups. I have to also say that the Peters Polaris could use a bit more treble...I have both the treble and presence up to "11" already...

But you actually think that 8.0k wind might be too much? I thought that was pretty low...but if a lower wind will result in a little more top end, I guess I could get Wade to rewind these...