Duncan Antiquities Are Consistently The Best Vintage Styled Pickups I've Found

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by esoteric pete, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Bebop Tom

Bebop Tom Member

The Duncan custom shop told me Dickey used ‘59s back when he first used Duncan’s.

David Garner likes this.
  2. Ps28

Ps28 Member

He's had a few sets in that guitar. His guitar tech put in WCRs in it for a while as well. Who knows, bet you even Dickey doesn't.

3. DavidTCIC

DavidTCIC Member

I have a ant p90 on the neck of my offset tele, paired with a jd bridge. Sounds really lovely.

4. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

Anyone who’s messing with vintage toned pickups isn’t usually into djent.

5. rolandk

rolandk Member

Texas Hots in my Strat. I especially love the bridge, it's the perfect balance of vintage while still getting a nice crunch.

bdm likes this.
  6. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

There’s never been a moment since I installed them when I’ve considered pulling the antiquities out of my 335.

7. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

had some in my tele, sounded great but swapped them for kleins (whoa)
    had some texas pups in a strat, sounded great but swapped them for some papa george greasy hots

8. jiml

jiml Member

I have been out and about, and have come across them in others guitars, always liked the tones I heard.

I haven't tried them yet, I tend to play hotter pickups, or noiseless singles...

9. Joegalaxy

Joegalaxy Member

I started out with the stock Gibson’s in my 2007 R4. Then regular Lollars, then 50s wind Lollars, then alnico pole Lollars and finally Duncan Antiquities. I was so sure I had to have boutique pups in it, but in the end I ended up with ones made by the original boutique pickup winder that today might be frowned upon as too pedestrian.

10. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

In your opinion, Duncan doesn't make a Strat Antiquity that gets close to the old Fender pickups? Is there another Duncan Strat pickup that you think does?

11. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

Interesting; in all the mentions through this topic, not once has anyone mentioned DiMarzio.

12. Mincer

Mincer Member

The Antiquity Surfer II is really close to an early 60s Strat. The 50s Strat pickup they make is the SSL-1.

13. Ps28

Ps28 Member

Not really, even the SSL1s which I love don't sound like vintage fender pickups. But they sparkle real nice and are a bargain. However, you can get really nice indie rock tones with lots of sparkle and then hit with a tube screamer and get Iron Maiden. Duncan and DiMarzio definitely have a unique sound to their pickups. I have antiquity humbuckers, surfers, ssl 1s, custom 5 (with a bunch of magnets to swap) and 59s. I've also played their vintage, hot and antiquity tele and p90s.

Mincer likes this.
  14. dazco

dazco Member

I just listened to the clips on the SD site of the antiquity II tele bridge and then the other regular bridge pickups, the broadcaster and the 54. The clips of the antiquity sound a lot richer but i really feel like they might have used a different amp or settings to get that. Maybe they did that on purpose ? Or maybe it IS that musg richer sounding but i usually never see that much difference between similar pickups just from the pickups themselves. Usually takes a better rig to make that much difference. I'm not saying i absolutely don't believe the clips, but it IS suspicious to me. If they really sound that much more complex i might part with the big $ for one.

15. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

I have 2 humbucker sets, one in my R8, one in my '65 Epi Olympic. I like them a lot.

16. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist

I came here to say I 100% agree. I have them in both of my Les Pauls and will be adding them to my MidTown Custom. I make sure to put in 500k pots and some tone caps the tech I use has!

~ss

17. DCFanatic

DCFanatic Member

I have a set of Duncan Antiquities in my Heritage H535. They are a perfect fit. Also love their bass pickups. Have a P-Bass pickup in a partscaster-bass and it nails the tone I am looking for perfectly.

Mincer likes this.
  18. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

I love the Antiquities.

Much better than the Seth Lovers, which is weird because they are so similar.

rockabilly69 and rhinocaster like this.
  19. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

20. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member