Duncan antiquities Vs. Bare Knuckle Mules

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by yZe, Sep 25, 2006.

1. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    So far 3 dudes have said they ripped their antiquities out and that they favor the BK Mules more

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

What the hell are the BK Mules?

3. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

BK I believe is Bare Knuckle pups...

4. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Member

No contest, the Mules.:cool:

5. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

If they want to send me some, I'll be happy to try them. Otherwise, my Antiquities are working just fine. :D

6. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Out of curiosity, did you change over to the BK's FROM the SD's (antiquities inparticular)?

If so, what made you not want to change back?

Do you have the alnico 2's or 4's?

7. drolling

drolling Member

Hey, just easing my way back into the world of humbuckers after 30 years w/a telecaster..

Are these Mules 'hot' sounding p-ups, or more like an old Gibson PAF?

I just picked up a used Epi Korina V and the stock p-ups are waay too microphonic for stage work. Sounded OK till I cranked the amp - good thing I brought the tele along.

So I guess I'm looking for a *vintage* type tone, minus the squealing feedback. Which BK's would work best for old-school blues tones?

thanks!

8. vinni

vinni Member

The mules are a lot like old PAF's (hmm...Old PAF's all sound different....)
    Anyway....The mules do have a touch more output and tighter lowend.
    But not much...

They are certainly not high output!

Vinni

9. yZe

yZe Senior Member

So what would be the diff between the MUles' Alnico 4 and Alnico 2?

10. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Member

Mine are Alnico IV's. They have a little tighter low end then the Alnico II's and not so much emphasis on the mids. The mids are still there, just not as prominent as with the Alnico II's because of the lack of bottom end.

Or something to that extent. It's still early, I haven't had my daily requirement of caffeine yet.:crazy

And no, I would never go back to the SD Antiquities. They made my guitar sound like it had a bad head cold.:messedup

11. yZe

yZe Senior Member

bump for any further opinions

12. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

The Duncan Antiquity's are the closest to PAF's that I have heard. Especially in the neck position.

IMHO of course. :)

13. froglord

froglord Member

Either the Mules (8.4K) or the Stormy Mondays (7.4K).

I find my set of Alnico IV Mules truly versatile - everything from big, fruity cleans, up through blues to rock, and they can even make a passable attempt at metal. But blues and 70s rock is where they live.

14. obscured

obscured Member

I've had both in my Les Paul, and I definitely prefer the Mules (currently installed). That being said, the Antiquities are still awesome pickups, especially if you don't feel like shelling out the dough for the Bare Knuckles.

15. dr.barlo

dr.barlo Member

I think the Mules are wound to get Warren Hayes' tone. No?

I have never tried them BK mules, and I don't think that I will. They cost a lot, and for that kinda money I could go to Duncan Custom Shop, Jim Rolph or Owen Duffy. All of them do deliver! BTW that's my 2 cents...

If Warren's tone is what you are after, you gotta try them antiquities with different magnets. The dun-aged (degaussed) alnico 2 magnet sounds great in the neck, soft but clean, deep and very 3 d. You gotta hear it yourself if you are wondering what the 3d thing is.

But with magnet swaps, those suckers change skins. If you were to put an a5 into the bridge antiquities, it becomes a very alive, clean, thick pickup. Not a trace of icepick. But if a5 is too strong and too wild, you could go with an a4, which sounds like an aged-degaussed a5.

A3's do magic in antiquity necks. I got into the a3 thing after trying Florance's 59's. I hated the bridge, but fell in love with the neck (7.80K a3). And a duncan antiquity with an a3 magnet is almost the same. Excellent pickup. I keep 2, one with the stock degaussed a2, the other with an a3.

And swapping magnets, especially in antiquities are not difficult at all.

Coming back to the mule tone: Well if you were to use a non-degaussed alnico 2 magnet in the bridge and neck, I am sure you get very close. BTW, the man himself has used Duncan Pearly Gates for many years.

B

16. plecoman

plecoman Member

I don't know for sure but I kinda doubt it... Anyways if you want Warrens tone just Get Burstbuckers 1 and 2... Thats what he used so I am sure they will be the closest...

The Mule set is nice, but I found it to have little too much treble. I prefered the SD antiquities myself... I have no idea what magnets were in either of these... they were just stock sets.