Duncan Custom SHOP pickup? - Or what is it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Oakley, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Oakley

Oakley Silver Supporting Member

I got this Hamer Monaco Superpro with custom features used about a year ago. It has these pickups that are signed on the bottom. They are definitely not the Custom neck/Custom-Custom bridge that are spec'd for this model. They're not Seth Lovers - they're potted. But they do measure in the range of a PAF type pickup. They sound like a cross between the Seth Lover and the Alnico II Pro. Nice pickups.

Does anyone know this model? Does the signature denote a Custom Shop design? Hamer was unable to help me on this.

[​IMG]

2. ganzosrevenge

ganzosrevenge Member

if they're antiquities, you sir have SD's primo jackpot special... they're keepers. Then again, most PAF-style pickups Seymour makes tend to have a lot of awesomeness. Put em back in, and play em for all they're worth

3. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I bet they sound great in that guitar.

4. Oakley

Oakley Silver Supporting Member

They're definitely great pickups - I had another Monaco Superpro prior to this one. I figured I was going to be changing out the Custom/Custom-Custom stock pickups in this one. But it turned up with these great sounding pickups that seem to be a Custom Shop deal. I often thought it would be great if SD made something with the openness of the Seth Lover and the upper midrange woodiness of the Alnico II Pro. This pickup is kind of what I had in mind.

5. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

You're lucky in 2 ways. Great pickups in a great guitar plus, you don't have to install them yourself. I've replaced pickups in a SuperPro before and it's a pain.

6. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

They are possibly potted Seth Lovers. I used to have mine potted.

Just a thought...