Duncan JB humbucker.. opinions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kapo_Polenton, May 26, 2008.

1. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Guys, I need to borrow on your ears a second. I've got an alder strat and with my JB in the bridge, its got this tone I can't shake. Does anyone ese hear this? Its somewhat of a midrange honk or artificial sounding grind when i kick on a clean boost or light od with my jcm 800 or 1987x. I got it because I love Jake E Lee and Warren Demartini but damn, there is something there that just erks me.. am I the only one who hears this? I am thinking of sticking with a PAF, 59' or going to the SH-5 which is what I should have done in the first place. I'd like to know if I have a dud or if you guys hear what I do when i play with this pickup. It also is picky on pinch harmonics. The Alnico II i have in another guitar scream when I need them to. These are finicky.

Thanks

2. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

are you using it with a 250 or 500k pot? It's supposed to be used with a 250k.

3. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Don't have the guitar in front of me tonight.. not sure as it was a custom axe I had built for me and I haven't popped off the back to have a look. Didn't think of that actually.. I thought buckers were used with 250K in most cases. I'll check that out for sure.

4. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

HB are used with a 500k pot in most cases but S.Duncan has specified a 250k pot for the JB. That's why so many people say they hate the JB and that it's too bright/harsh, they're using the wrong pot.

5. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

The JB sounds good in a mahogany guitar when using 500k pots, but for an alder strat I'd go with 250k pots to avoid any harshness.

6. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I had it in a les paul and a 335 with a 500K pot and it matched the OP description exactly. I think it sounded pretty good cranked up, but like harsh cardboard every other way. There are more musical pickups out there.

7. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

I experimented with a JB in a couple of Les Pauls and some PRS guitars. I'd agree with slopeshoulder that it sounded good cranked up, but not very inspiring when I rolled the volume back more than a tiny bit. (That was with 500K pots.)

8. guitar_kid

guitar_kid Member

I have a JB in my schecter and there's always just been sumthin in the highend that I don't like for lead playing. I assume schecter uses 500k pots so maybe I'll try swappin in a 250k before I get all new pickups.

9. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

I've got a Lawrence L500-L on order from the real Bill Lawrence so we'll see if that makes a diff. There is just something about the JB that really comes out when i use a boost. Something that makes it sound a tad artificial. Its def not harsh and i have a single coil in the axe with which it is split so I've already go the 250K running. Its crunchy and not harsh... but I find it a tad flat and like I said, there is that artificial sound.

10. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

It's not you..They are a weird sounding pickup...espiecally in a bolt on neck strat type guitar....try a Dimarzio tone zone for a hotter sound...or a Norton ..changing the pots won't help at all

11. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I get a little midrange honk out of the Lil 59 in my charvel tele but then I like a little midrange anyway.

If you don't dig it, get something else. It may be a great pickup but it's not for you so move on.

Scott

12. mike80

mike80 Member

I've been told that a JB in an Alder body will sound really shrill. Kinda like you describe.

Maybe the JB isn't suitable for that guitar.

13. panosy

panosy Member

I have a mahogany body guitar with JB at bridge and 59 at the neck. Only thing I don't like is that they are very different, 59 is cool and round, more for jazzy stuff, JB is dirty rock/blues in a box. Both are splittable and give me some combinations. If you are after for that aggresive beck tone it's great, I use use with the treble knob a little down. Also maybe you could try lowering it jut a tiny bit from the strings.
    hope it helps

14. burner

burner Member

The JB is one of my favorite 'buckers.
    Try the 250k pots.....

15. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I've got a JB in my old Charvel 80's hair metal guitar, and it flat out rocks. I have ni idea what pot is in the guitar, but it's just one vol. knob, that's it. I remember at the time trying several pickups in it, then reading in interviews alot of players back then were using the JB, so I installed one & it was perfect... for THAT sound. That was...'87-'92, so it's been quite awhile, but recently plugged it into my Black Pearl, and there was the tone again. This pickups kills at 80's metal/hard rock.

16. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member

so, if one were to put JB in bridge position in PRS you would have to change the pots?

17. johnny q

johnny q Member

You dont HAVE to, but many (inc Seymour Duncan himself) prefer the JB with a lower value pot like a 250K. I never believed this personally until I changed out my 500K to a 300K in my JB loaded LP Custom, and no doubt....it smooths things out and its a whole different ballgame.

JQ

18. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member

so if one were to change the pot, and only the bridge pickup, how would it affect the neck pickup (which would remain unchanged) ?

19. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

My GUESS is, you'd lose some high end & clarity on that neck pickup.

20. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Yeah, maybe it is the honk I am hearing. I chose it for an alder strat rear routed strat because i thought hell, can't go wrong with Jake E Lee and Warren Demartini ( my fav. ) using them in their alder strats... I can kind of hear the Badlands tone and the Ratt tone in them but maybe they blend better in a mix then they do for my guitar. I had previously tried an SH-5 and i think I should have gone with that or the good old 59' in the bridge. Might be because these have a tad less mid range.. anyway, listen to my axe here, made this recording real quick when someone on this forum helped me with my recording problems. Tell me if you hear what I am talking about. Its short and just wanking really quick but the thing i hear is definitely there.

http://media.putfile.com/cheese-ballin-squashed-to-hell

Its just my plexi clone and a clean boost from a bad monkey.. for some reason i still like the bad monkey over anything else I've tried.