Duncan JB jr. question

Tone-Control

Silver Supporting Member
So I picked up one of these for my parts strat. I have Antiquity II's in the neck and middle and was looking for a bridge humbucker. I like the drive of the pickup and fat mids but can't get over this strident high end. When playing in the upper registers the thing is spikey on the treble to say the least. I have tried it with both 250k and 500k pots and have lowered the pickup but it never goes away. I'm assuming it's from the ceramic magnets. What bridge humbucker do you guys like for a PAFish vibe with you vintage style singles. Doesn't have to be a stack either as I realize they sound different from 'real' humbuckers.

Last edited:

Tone-Control

Silver Supporting Member
So I called Duncan and took them up on the 21 day exchange policy. Going full circle back to a single coil. I'm going to try a twang banger. Anybody use these things? I'll let my LP do the PAF thing.

Kelsey

I have a Twangbanger paired with 5/2 neck and middle pickups (reversed) in an American Series Strat with 1-pc maple neck and alder body. It's bright and fat sounding and works very well with OD. The only issue you might face is matching the polarity and phase with the Ant II pickups. You might have to swamp the leads and neck & middle pickup placements to make it work for the 2/4 positions. It's not so easy to alter the Twangbanger, because of the grounded baseplate.
Good luck!

Tone-Control

Silver Supporting Member
Yeh, the Ant II's are wound South and most Duncan's are wound North. Thanks for the heads up on the Twangbanger.

Trending Topics