• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Duncan JB vs Full Shred vs Burn

cap217

Silver Supporting Member
I am looking to add a different variety to a few guitars. I have a JB in one and its great. Full, full mids, low mids, and pushes the amp where I like it. I am looking to put in either a full shred or burn in another guitar that is an exact backup. I was leaning full shred but the burn might work too.

Any input?

cap10kirk

The Perpetual Burn is a little lower output with a less honky mid range than a JB. I thought it was a pretty good pickup. The Full Shred is a tight articulate pickup, but I thought it sounded a little thin in the bridge of a Les Paul I had...ymmv of course. It wouldn't be my first choice for the bridge, however I did really like the Full Shred neck pickup. So of those two, the PB gets my vote.

Bill Dennis

Silver Supporting Member
The Perpetual Burn is a little lower output with a less honky mid range than a JB. I thought it was a pretty good pickup. The Full Shred is a tight articulate pickup, but I thought it sounded a little thin in the bridge of a Les Paul I had...ymmv of course. It wouldn't be my first choice for the bridge, however I did really like the Full Shred neck pickup. So of those two, the PB gets my vote.
If it sounded thin in the bridge of a Les Paul, I don't know what guitar it would sound fuller in. That said, I have a Full Shred in my Charvel DK24 2pt that is a damn good fit for that guitar

cap217

Silver Supporting Member
If it sounded thin in the bridge of a Les Paul, I don't know what guitar it would sound fuller in. That said, I have a Full Shred in my Charvel DK24 2pt that is a damn good fit for that guitar

Im worried if someone says its thin in a Les paul. Its going in a Kramer Nightswan and thats what they used back when these came out.

CJReaper

Im worried if someone says its thin in a Les paul. Its going in a Kramer Nightswan and thats what they used back when these came out.
I had a 1991 Les Paul and it was brighter than any Strat or Tele I've ever played so it could just be the guitar in that case.

Gclef

I have a full shred set in my rg520qs.

They are truly great pickups.

Yes, they are bright, but that is totally workable.

Pickup height is crucial. They get fatter as they go higher.
Also, bump up the bass a bit at the amp. It balances out the extra brightness, plus you still get the tightness.

I also switched one row of the hex poles to fillister too, for a little less directness.

Bill Dennis

Silver Supporting Member
I have a full shred set in my rg520qs.

They are truly great pickups.

Yes, they are bright, but that is totally workable.

Pickup height is crucial. They get fatter as they go higher.
Also, bump up the bass a bit at the amp. It balances out the extra brightness, plus you still get the tightness.

I also switched one row of the hex poles to fillister too, for a little less directness.
I just bought a bag of 1/2" hex heads tweak a couple of guitars.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom