• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Duncan P-90s. Tell me about them.

Not a lot of user generated info about the SP-90-1B, which is their standard "vintage" P90 for the bridge position. Seems the neck version is quite popular, but people tend to go for the overwound versions or Antiquities for replacements. I don't really care for overwound or relic'd pickups.

Thoughts?

SPROING!

It sounds like a good P90. That's what I have in that PRS SE I painted green. Different voice than the antiquities...they sound like a pickup you'd get in a new Gibson where the antiquities are grungy and lo-fi. Alnico 5, standard wind, wax potted. Just a normal soapbar.

sliberty

I put Duncan Antiquities into an Epiphone 56 GT years ago. They sounded great. But all of my current P90 guitars have Gibson P90's. They are still the standard in my book for traditional P90's.

It sounds like a good P90. That's what I have in that PRS SE I painted green. Different voice than the antiquities...they sound like a pickup you'd get in a new Gibson where the antiquities are grungy and lo-fi. Alnico 5, standard wind, wax potted. Just a normal soapbar.
Funny, that's exactly what I'd be looking for in a P-90. I wonder why they don't get more accolades. Probably because they are only $75.

bgmacaw

It's hard to make a bad P90. I don't think you gain that much by swapping them out. Maybe other people are of the same opinion and aren't as hungry to switch out stock for after-market ones as Strat players are.

I do like the vintage wound ones better though. They seem to interact better with amps and effects via playing dynamics.

MCG

I have used Duncan P90's and liked them. They are hotter than Gibsons and have a slightly more refined voice to me. I'm not sure how to describe it but to me they almost had more of a "Fender single-coil" balance to the voice. They do sound like soap bars but the mids and highs are more balanced to my ear.

MCG

I have used Duncan P90's and liked them. They are hotter than Gibsons and have a slightly more refined voice to me. I'm not sure how to describe it but to me they almost had more of a "Fender single-coil" balance to the voice. They do sound like soap bars but the mids and highs are more balanced to my ear.

MCG
Hey! Now we're talkin'. Sounds like the right pickup for me.

rockinrobby

Senior member Professional musician ...
Double Platinum Member
Duncan P90's are really great!! I had a set in my ES350 because the originals needed to be rewound..

swiveltung

Didn't really like the ones that came stock in some guitars. Seemed lifeless compared with Gibsons.
The Gibsons are usually even cheaper, so I don't think the "accolades" thing works out....

BrentSP

Silver Supporting Member
Telecaster on Steroids..........

Best way I can describe it. I have a PRS Ted with SD Vintage P90s and love them. It has the humbucker type fullness but tighter low end, twangy/honky midrange and chimey but sweet highs. Its a really fat and full single coil sound. Absolutely lovely tone for clean or overdriven tones.

I've also played a friends Gibby LP Studio faded with P90s that was fantastic.

Didn't really like the ones that came stock in some guitars. Seemed lifeless compared with Gibsons.
The Gibsons are usually even cheaper, so I don't think the "accolades" thing works out....
Gibsons are $120 new. You can probably find both for the same prices used.

swiveltung

Yeah, nobody pays retail. They are as low as $65 Ebay new. There's a pair on the buy n sell here on TGP for $80 used.

Catch

Analog>Digital Converter
Gold Supporting Member
These are SD P90s. The tone, volume and sustain are epic. Yep, epic. Definitely one of my main guitars. The middle position is bridge and neck, can't think of a better voicing.

These are SD P90s. The tone, volume and sustain are epic. Yep, epic. Definitely one of my main guitars. The middle position is bridge and neck, can't think of a better voicing.

How much hotter is the bridge pickup than the neck? I believe it's an SP90-3, which reads from the specs like it's hotter than the sun.

Catch

Analog>Digital Converter
Gold Supporting Member
You know, it is a very balanced guitar in terms of volume level across the 5 positions.

That said, overall the guitar is loud as hell. It is the loudest/hottest guitar I own. That's saying something too--two of my other PRSi have Dragon Is and 53/10s, both very hot pickup sets.

SPROING!

How much hotter is the bridge pickup than the neck? I believe it's an SP90-3, which reads from the specs like it's hotter than the sun.
The 90-3 is insanely hot and uses a ceramic magnet. I found it to be useless for anything other than very high gain.
Swapped the magnet for A5, though, and it became much more musical.

Trending Topics