Duncan Quarter Pound Tapped

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Nathan, May 9, 2008.

1. Nathan

Nathan Member

I can't seem to find a whole lot of info on these. How well does the tap work?
    I am thinking of a Tele with a 1/4 lb bridge and a staggered Strat 1/4 lb in the neck. Both would be tapped to bring the output down or brighten the tone if I want to. Think this is a good combination? Thanks if you have experience with these pickups!

2. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Remember any pickup can be tapped. The QP is dark because of those large magnets. It can work for some applications. It has a lot of drive and can sound beefier than lesser singles thru a drive box. Into a clean amp it sounds darker with less highs, yet still has a single coil attack.

3. uOpt

uOpt Member

My Strat QP is not tapped, but I can tell you shouldn't expect too much. The tap is very early on the coil and with the thinner wire than these are made with the tapped sound probably only sounds good when combined with another pickup (such as a tapped neck pickup).

If you really like the base sound, I would call the SD Custom Shop and have them make you a QP that has a base winding of 6 something Kohm with awg42 and then only after that switch to thinner wire.

4. Nathan

Nathan Member

That's interesting info -thanks guys. I figured the large magnets would make the sound brighter?

Also, the low/early wind of the tapped option can be countered by tapping to the other part of the coil. There's a diagram on the SD forums for getting either "coil" of the tapped single coils. I might try that. I'm not going to spend big bucks on a custom shop wind. I just wanted to see if anyone thought these pickups were good.

5. uOpt

uOpt Member

Definitely not. If anything they are darker. Keep in mind it's a pretty hot coil wind coming around them.

I don't think this trick is going to cut it. The problem is that the tap is too close to 1/2 of the coil. What you want for a useable sound is somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4.

6. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

Years ago with a strat I used three of these and replaced the 5-position with an individual toggle switch for each pick up - sounded killer and I had mulitiple options to include turning each pickup off if I wanted to...