Duncan SSL 5 in the neck position

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Hound Dog61, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Hound Dog61

Hound Dog61 Member

I have an old mutt strat that I have had for a few years and since it is in need of some repairs I thought it would be a good time to upgrade some things. I have a Duncan SSL 5 that I originally bought to replace the bridge pickup, but lately I have been thinking about going a different direction. Instead of putting it in the bridge position with two SSL 1s in the neck and middle, I am considering putting it in the neck position. My plan is to put the SSL5 in the neck with another SSL5 in the middle position and a JB jr. in the bridge. Has anybody tried a SSL5 in the neck? I am going for a decent "strat sound" in the neck with more power, but with some added oomph in the bridge position. I usually use this guitar for anyhting from clean countryish stuff to higher gain rock type songs, but have no particular sound I am going for. Just looking to get a different sound going on as the pickups that are currently in it are pretty bland sounding.

2. DRS

DRS Member

Try it and you can tell us how it sounds.

3. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Member

I have the exact same configuration except for a Custom Custom in the bridge. For me, the only way I was happy was to put 500K pots all around. The SSL5s are pretty dark and powerful and are meant for the bridge position. Consider that.

4. Hound Dog61

Hound Dog61 Member

Good to know. I was wondering if I would have to change the pot for the JB jr never considered changing it for the SSL5.

5. marex

marex Member

I put one in the neck position of a Squier 51. I've been a big fan of them in the bridge but was pleasantly surprised how good it sounds in this position in this guitar. I wouldn't call it bright, by no means, but it definitely isn't dark either. In this particular guitar it sounds sweet while also being fuller than a typical strat neck pickup.

It's paired with a Gibson Dirty Finger's bridge pickup and quality pots (250 k, push-pull to split bridge). When I was putting everything together I was expecting a pure rock machine. But though it does sound great dirty, it's also brilliant played clean and everything in between.

6. doc

doc Member

I have a Washburn MG that came with 2 SSL-5s and a JB in bridge (HSS). It has 500K pots. Sounds pretty good, but on the dark side with the singles. Not a great choice if you want lots of chime, but overall okay. Would probably sound very good in a bright guitar, but this one has a mahogany body and rosewood board. If you like a thick, kind of dark neck pickup sound, should be great.

7. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Gold Supporting Member Vendor

SSL-5s are about 6 Henries inductance.

Conventional Strats are generally 3H or less.

The SSL-5 is basically a single wound to HB level output.

8. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Also, when the SSL-5 were made it was't common to have a tone pot on your bridge pickup and the SSL-5 reflects that, it sounds best unloaded IMO.

9. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

Everyone, play with those control cavity values, you can take a manufacturer's pickup description and light fire to it after you hear what $2 worth of internal parts can do to change your guitar's personality

10. Hound Dog61

Hound Dog61 Member

Thanks for the responses. I am not sure how I would characterize the sound of the guitar, it doesn't seem overly bright or overly dark. But it does seem overly thin which I think are the pickups although I am no expert by any means. It has a maple fretboard, but not quite sure what the body is made of but I think it is ash.I don't know much about about the cap values and what not so maybe it is best to put the set in and see how it sounds.