Duncan Strat Pickup Advise Please

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DSmith, Jun 9, 2008.

1. DSmith

DSmith Member

I have a G&L Legacy with Duncan SSL-1's for all 3 pickups. I think I'd like a hotter bridge pickup, but not jeapordize the 2 position (bridge & middle) by doing so. Would you recommend a coil tapped humbucker that fits in the size of a single coil pickup slot for this?

I'm open to all ideas.

2. baimun

baimun Member

No. A coil tapped humbucker will be weaker than the single you already have.

I have the Duncan Alinico II Pro's which are hotter but lose a bit of the "strattiness" about them.

You may want to look at the "Quarter Pound" which is available for strat or tele. It's an overwound single coil that has a second output wire so you can tap the coil for reduced power as well. Both settings are single coil, but one uses more windings than the other.

3. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

Fatter bridge tones with good B/M tone -- try the SD Twangbanger (fat, nearly Tele tone, but not quite -- sounds good in its own right), or Antiquity Texas Hot Custom bridge (retains traditional Strat flavor more than the Twangbanger does). The Twangbanger will work straight away with the SSL-1 neck and middle, including RWRP middle. The Antiquity will have to be wired in reverse to work with the SSL-1, but it will be RWRP with the standard SSL-1 (you might have to switch the neck and middle pickup positions to get hum cancelling in the 2/4 positions).

4. scottish

scottish Member

You want the SSL-5. I have a strat with 2 SSL1s neck/middle and the SSL5 in the bridge. It adds the perfect amount of beefiness without being too nasally. Cures that classic weak strat bridge position to a T imo.

5. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I have an old 73 strat where over 25 yrs ago I installed a Duncan JB in the bridge position with a 3 way coil tap and wired the bottom tone control strictly for the humbucker and 2 single classic stacks with the other tone control and allows lots of tonality versatility and still has plenty of bite.

6. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

try the 59' good all around one, but the JB likes Franks guitar said is great also it has a nice complex top end. That is what a lot of companies puts in their HSS strats

7. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Actually one of the really good "Straty" sounding Strats I built with Duncan's had a SSL1 w/baseplate in the bridge and Alnico II's in the neck and middle all the same wind - it had very nice quack.