1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Duncan Twin Tube versus the H&K Tube Factor?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dewman, Jul 11, 2006.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

any comments...??

2. gulliver

gulliver Member

I never even heard of the Twin Tube before this post ... not that it means anything. I have the Tubefactor, and feel it's one of the best pedals out there. It's more explosive than any pedal I've played and can really act as a fairly high-gain distortion channel going into a clean amp channel, which most pedals cannot touch without sounding buzzy. The single tone control is a bit limiting, but they did do a nice job considering it's one knob covering mid-scooped to nasal. Going into a high gain channel, you can set it up unlike SS pedals, with the level all the way up and the distortion very low. This gives a clipping boost that's really big. I stack mine into my Frantone Brooklyn, then into a slightly overdriven Marshall clean channel. The tone is so explosive it's sick, with a boutiqueish grind in the highs and the lows sound like the speakers are ready to blow (using a strat neck pickup). This is my best tone to date.

3. dewman

just wondering because I have had two tube factors, both of which for various reasons left my possession and now I wonder if I should get them back. Both were ebay specials, the first a newer model, brushed swirly metal finish. It sounded absolutely awesome with a carmen ghia I had and a les paul deluxe. I ended up selling the Ghia and Z best cab and a few pedals to raise $$ for some more gear and the pedal went since I was expecting an OCD (which turned out to be good but not the same as the H and K). It had a ruby 12AX7 inside. I liked factor 2 with the gain low, gave me some nice bluesiness to my guitar.

Well flash forward to last year, I bought what appeared to be an older model and it just wasnt the same. Sound was ok but pretty lame compared to what I remember the first one to be. Still decent, but alost tired sounding, and tube swaps didnt help. So off the board it went, and in its place a BB preamp (again a different pedal).

So now I am sitting here missing the tube factor sound for my strat. Now I have a Route 66, Germino CLub 40 and an Ampeg VT-40. All great amps, two of the three are mid rich. The BB and OCD are the highest gain/distortion things I have on the board and they really don't juice up a strat like the H and K did for leads (factor 2). My fulldrive 2 sounds great, but is a differnt sound altogether and does the SRV thing well. For a humbucking guitar I am already there since the amps respond so differently to humbuckers. But for singing strat tones I am thinking the H and K tube factor or maybe the twin tube might get me there, strictly for the strat.

The other day I realized that I have too many pedals and that playing would be a lot simpler with maybe two or three OD, so if I could get rid of a few of the ODs and get a nice distortion pedal like the H and K or maybe even Keely DS-1 or twin tube I could be stripped down and still have tone w/ my strat through these amps.

Anyway, it is so hard to tell where the Duncan TT sits relative to the H and K tube factor since I only got to hear it through a solid state small tube combo (about as thin and crackly tone as they get- GC would sell a lot more pedals if they invested in a decent tube combo at their listening stations I believe). So wasnt sold then.

Now I am wondering if strats are wonderful guitars to pay clean but tough to play dirty...anyway, any more comments on the TT are welcome as they pertain to the H and K tube factor comparison. Keep 'em comin!!!

4. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

I use channel 2 on my Tube Factor as my higher gain rhythm channel and then stack my OCD after it for leads. I keep the gain on the OCD low at about 9:00 and it just sings when used with the TF.

I'd like to try the Twin Tube just to hear the difference. It looks to have some nice features. Although some have complained that the bass response is too flabby, and I read on the Seymour Duncan site that you have to take it to a technician to have the tube changed which would be a bummer if you like to experiment with different tubes.

5. dewman

good idea to stack the factor 2 channel with the OCD. That pedal really stacks well with so many pedals. So do you have the OCD in front of the tube factor or behind it? What's your volume/output set at on the tube factor?

6. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

My OCD sits between my Tube Factor and my amp. Is that in front or behind my T.F.? I don't know. I just call it "after".

I have the drive on my T.F. a little above noon, output at about 10:00, and voicing at about 1:00. I usually just set my amp up clean and then adjust output of the T.F. to match the amps volume.

I'm also running an Antelope Effects EQ pedal (actually 2 of them - 1 for clean and 1 for dirty) with the mids set kind of high when I'm using an overdrive, which affects the settings on my Tube Factor too.

And my amp overdrives pretty easy. So with the TF's gain at noon, channel 2 is crankin pretty good.

7. dewman

sounds nice. I used to run some sort of light OD pedal into it like a marshall bluesbreaker I and get some great tones. With a fender deluxe reverb it is a great pedal on channel 1, I like it with my Germino on factor 2. Give some funk to a strat (for lack of a better description), muc like a fulldrive FM setting does. I had a newer version first and liked it a lot, then sold it (stuid me I guess) and bought another older model later , which sucked or was beat on. Either way, that left the herd. I might get another after checking the Duncan TT out. I know its' mass produced, but probably not that bad. I like the tube factor and after building a pedalboard with a rediculous number of OD pedals, I have to thin the herd and maybe the tube factor with a okko mod might be the way to go and make it useeable.

ANyone know if the two duncan channels are of near equal volume? The H and K are SO different when you step on factor 2 watch out....

8. George Jetson

George Jetson Member

The TTC has a separate volume control for each channel, so I'm guessing you could set it for parity. You'd have to allow for the 24dB gain difference between rhythm and lead channels though. I'll be able to tell you better next week when I get my hands on the one I ordered.:drool

9. dewman

cool, let us know how it works out. I am real real curious. COuld be a nice solution for me. The H and K has such a different volume level between channels ou can barely dial them close to each other. Any improvement is a good one there.

10. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

Hey Dewman,
    I saw this ad on the Weber site where a guy is selling both the TT and the TF at what looks like pretty good prices (used). I emailed him today and he said he still has both for sale. He said the TF he has is the one with the swirly brushed finish.

Here's a link to it if you're interested.
    http://www.webervst.com/bns/messages/24046.html

I'll let you know how my OKKO mod turns out.

11. George Jetson

George Jetson Member

Dang, that's a great price on the TTC! Most of the used ones I saw were only about $10 off the price of new. That one is $30 less that I paid new. I woulda jumped on that bad boy deal.
    GJ:AOK

12. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Have the SD & it seems to get somewhat flabby in the bass when the gain is too high...

Know that Jimmy Herring loves his Tube Factor... very curious about trying one out...!

13. dewman

try it out. Apart from the volume differences between channels i liked it a lot. I noticed the tone improved in later models- the later ones are the ones with swirly brushed aluminum, not the flatter aluminum. worth trying out definitely.

14. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

I sent my Tube Factor to OKKO in Germany to have the mod done to even out the volume levels, plus a couple of other things he adds. It's a very usable pedal on both channels now.

I can get anything from low gain breakup to high gain distortion out of it. It's a large pedal, but I haven't found anything else that gives me that 3 dimensional overdrive in a pedal like this does.

15. dewman

Nice to hear the mod works well. Is it substantially different tone or EQ-control-wise from the original pedal? I liked both channels for different reasons I see on the okko website they balance the channels. Did they also do a tube upgrade or swap? Was it worth the $$ since the mod is almost as much as the pedal, if not more!!

16. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

There's no difference in the EQing of it and the tube was not changed. It has the same great tone it had before the mod, only now it has a separate volume control for channel 1, a separate gain control for channel 2 and a toggle switch to add more drive to channel 1.

I thought it was well worth the cost. Unless he's changed his prices drastically since last August, the mod is nowhere near the cost of a new pedal. The pedal sells new at M.F. for $299 and the mod was only $119 (US dollars) and that included the return shipping. He does a quick turnaround on the mod too.

Here's a picture of it after the mod (Sorry. This pedal is very hard to photograph). I put the OCD next to it to give an idea of the size of it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  17. dewman

that looks wild. Im thinking about it. I really loved that pedal but nearly went deaf switching between factor 1 and factor 2. The factor 2 channel loved strats. glad to hear the mod went well and that you are happy. I know it is a big pedal, but that's ok by me.

18. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    I regret cutting the H&K loose. If I had known about the mod I may have kept it

Too much of a disparity between volumes

That High gain abosolutely rules on that thing

Very amp like

19. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

There are 2 things that the Tube Factor does that my other overdrives don't.

One is it warms up my amps tone. I'll keep channel 1 on when playing clean with very minimal gain just to get that warm tone. It doesn't change or color the tone. It just sounds warmer, less hi-fi.

The other thing is the smoothness of the gain. It can definitely can crank on channel 2, but it never gets harsh or abrasive. It just seems to flow out of the amp.